Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a good French Alpine family (& cycling) base for July

Options
  • 23-10-2016 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭

I've put an end to years of prevarication by just going and booking the damn Ferry. Just there, this minute. So come hell or (literally) high water we'll be in Roscoff on the first Sunday morning in July and won't be leaving there til the 4th of August. The plan is to drive south and nestle ourselves somewhere among the alps, either in an airbnb or a campsite and just eat croissants and climb hills for a month while also finding amusement for the kids (both over 10).

Any specific recommendations? I know Bourg d'Oisans from last years Marmotte and we could be at the foot of the Alp d'Huez and sure from there you have a variety of cols. I suppose in one way you can't really go too far wrong because wherever you go you'll find a hill. But if anyone can specifically recommend a town or campsite from personal experience... I'm all ears. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

I had a conversation about this with my cousin and her husband lately, he's mad keen to go to the Alps next summer (they'll fly-drive and stay with Eurocamp or similar) he wants to stay in Bourg d'Oisans for the duration but she was wondering what there would be for her and the non cycling members of the family to do and I had to admit that at least at the time we were there, mid Sept, the answer would be, if you don't hike or rockclimb, not very much. Possibly in high season there's more available but depending on your particular circumstances you'd want to be sure there's something to suit all.

We stayed on the road up to AlpeD'Huez above Bourg d'Oisans in a place called Chalet Ribot , I'd go back again in a flash and families are welcome even with little ones but it's not the most practical place for buggies and the like, from the carpark theres about 20 steps up to the Chalet itself, maybe expensive for a month but if you were considering a multi site holiday well worth considering for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Well I know they have a healthy mtb season around Huez in the summer and the kids could do a bit of that, but generally I suppose you'd be hoping for a campsite with an aul swimming pool and stuff at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I spent a week last year in Ferme Neomie which is about 4km outside Bourg d'Oisans. I rented an apartment in a converted barn (not a camping fan). Good facilities and well run.

There's a public swimming pool in Bourg that's cheap and very clean. A day trip to Les Deux Alpes is also recommended.

Advertisement