Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biomedical science at DIT??

Options
  • 23-10-2016 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I'm in 6th year and thinking of putting biomed at DIT as my first choice. If anyone has any general info on the course it'd be appreciated. Particularly: level of maths and chemistry, workload etc. Maths really isn't my strong point, I'm doing OL but I love biology and I'd love to do medicine. Biomed seems like the next best thing for someone sitting OL maths. My points are averaging at about 550 at the moment so I'd like to think I'm competent enough. Any suggestions of other courses I might be interested in is appreciated!

Also, I've heard Kevin St probably isn't the best college in terms of social life etc, is this true?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

Kevin St should be relocated to Grangegorman before you graduate. Compare the kevin st course with the same in GMIT and Cork. The workload is fairly intense compared to other BSc courses. Definitely a lot more hours than a BA.

Biomed is fairly different from medicine or nursing. In biomed you try to treat every sample (patient) the exact same. Educated professionals are your service users / customers. You study the science of pathology. Very little to no 'soft skills' like patient management, ethics etc.

In nursing and medicine you 'treat the patient, not the numbers'. The general public are your customers. The soft skills of patient management can be as important to success as your knowledge of the science.
    The role of a consultant is moving more towards a team leader role as the other professions skill up and take on extra roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Lhxsjco

Kevin street is definitly not the best place in terms of social life, if you are want a good social life in college i would look at biomedicine in galway or biological and biomedical science in maynooth

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Lhxsjco wrote: »
    Kevin street is definitly not the best place in terms of social life, if you are want a good social life in college i would look at biomedicine in galway or biological and biomedical science in maynooth
    There's enough social life, but that probably shouldn't be what you decide a course. I found there was enough going on, and you're not trapped in the college canteen for lunch, which is something I missed in other places.

It is one of the few biomed courses that permits you to work in a hospital after you qualify, unlike Maynooth etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

Lhxsjco wrote: »

Just to emphasise what Tree already said: the courses mentioned do NOT qualify you to be a Medical Scientist. Also the non-standard route to qualification has been suspended. So the ONLY way to work as a scientist in a diagnostic lab is to complete the BSc in Biomedical sciences from DIT, UCC/CIT or GMIT.

Advertisement