Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPU Problems

Options
  • 23-10-2016 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭

I seem to be having some GPU problems and Iv come for some expert advice.

My question is when ever I try to boot in windows the gpu acts up and does not fully boot into windows just turns the screen black but when I boot into windows in safe mode it works. Im just wondering is it a driver issues/software problem or is the gpu bust. Its a Amd 6870. Im also running Windows 10.

vqiaMStm.jpg
    ZJe14DFm.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

If it works in Safe Mode, it logically must be drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    If it works in Safe Mode, it logically must be drivers.

Thats what Im thinking. I wonder does Windows 10 support the drivers?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Are you on the latest driver? If not update. If you are on latest download a older driver that you know the PC worked on.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭super_sweeney

sometimes a clean install of the drivers can help. use driver swepper it does a complete wipe of the drivers. Also is this a new problem? what changes did you make that it does not work? I.e is the GPU new? is the DRiver new? did you upgrade to windows 10 ect. Just a bit of history helps us help you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

sometimes a clean install of the drivers can help. use driver swepper it does a complete wipe of the drivers. Also is this a new problem? what changes did you make that it does not work? I.e is the GPU new? is the DRiver new? did you upgrade to windows 10 ect. Just a bit of history helps us help you :D

No had the gpu since day one worked like a champ on windows 7 but when I upgraded to windows 10 it worked for a while but than it stopped working one day. iv the lastest drivers installed as well. Having said that I cant get into windows except in safe mode

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

jonon9 wrote: »
    No had the gpu since day one worked like a champ on windows 7 but when I upgraded to windows 10 it worked for a while but than it stopped working one day. iv the lastest drivers installed as well. Having said that I cant get into windows except in safe mode

Try a full uninstall -> reboot -> clean install of the drivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Looks to me like the card, artifacing in the bios is never a good sign. Faulty cards can often boot OK in safe mode with basic generic display drivers but once proper drivers are installed, you have problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

There was an issue a guy had a while back around a bios update being required to fix artifact problems viewing the bios with his new GPU. It does look worse though in this instance. Thankfully the 6870 isn't exactly a new card, so if you wanted to pick up a replacement (or similar card) second hand on adverts, it won't break the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭super_sweeney

any update?

Advertisement