Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nissan leaf Eco Mode and Heater Output.

• 23-10-2016 5:17pm

This time of the year again, temps getting lower so don't forget Eco in the Leaf will greatly restrict heater output.

The trick is if you notice Eco on, you'll have to turn the climate control completely off , turn Eco off and wait about 6-8 seconds and then press Auto again, you'd be better off not to use Eco for winter driving unless you're happy with the level of heat and use heated seats and steering.

I am not sure if the reduced output effects the newest 2016 24 and 30 Kwh leafs, however if it says so in the manual then it does.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

This time of the year again, temps getting lower so don't forget Eco in the Leaf will greatly restrict heater output.

The trick is if you notice Eco on, you'll have to turn the climate control completely off , turn Eco off and wait about 6-8 seconds and then press Auto again, you'd be better off not to use Eco for winter driving unless you're happy with the level of heat and use heated seats and steering.

I am not sure if the reduced output effects the newest 2016 24 and 30 Kwh leafs, however if it says so in the manual then it does.

I dont notice any difference in heat output in ECO on the 30 kwh, nor would it make any sense as the heating is such a small draw as to be ignored

I did notice that if I turn the car to Accessory , I dont get warm air, only when " fully on "

It makes a difference alright on the 2014-15,

I expect if it says so in the manual on the 2016's then it's restricted in Eco also. Depends on how cold it is.

It makes a difference alright on the 2014-15,

I expect if it says so in the manual on the 2016's then it's restricted in Eco also. Depends on how cold it is.

Ill check , cant see why though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

This post (bottom of page) suggests power consumption is somewhere around 1.5 kW for heating - which would make sense as the heat pump functions similarly to an air conditioner in reverse (with a compressor, etc.), so power consumption would not be insignificant but still a lot more efficient than resistance heating.

Eco mode in Toyota hybrids similarly restricts aircon compressor use (heat comes from elsewhere).

BoatMad wrote: »
    Ill check , cant see why though

I'd imagine for maximum efficiency, it does limit heater output on the Updated Gen from very late 2013 to 2015. I'm almost certain it limits heater output int he 2011-late 13 also. The idea is probably that someone might be happy in eco using the heated seats and steering.

If I don't notice I'm in Eco I will when it starts to get pretty cool, so after turning the heater off completely, turning off eco and the heater back on I notice heater consumption goes up a lot until it warms up again after allowing it to cool down and it remains comfortable with Eco off.

So you'd actually be using more energy to warm the car back up.

• Advertisement

I'd imagine for maximum efficiency, it does limit heater output on the Updated Gen from very late 2013 to 2015. I'm almost certain it limits heater output int he 2011-late 13 also. The idea is probably that someone might be happy in eco using the heated seats and steering.

If I don't notice I'm in Eco I will when it starts to get pretty cool, so after turning the heater off completely, turning off eco and the heater back on I notice heater consumption goes up a lot until it warms up again after allowing it to cool down and it remains comfortable with Eco off.

So you'd actually be using more energy to warm the car back up.

We use ECO virtually exclusively. We use the aircon, inc heater as required. I've noticed no lack of heat. In fact if anything the car gets too warm at times

We use ECO virtually exclusively. We use the aircon, inc heater as required. I've noticed no lack of heat. In fact if anything the car gets too warm at times

Checked manual. No mention of restrictions in Eco mode

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭steelboots

I hate ECO mode, its so unresponsive. I drive with ECO mode off and go gentle on the accelerator (well most of the time :))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

steelboots wrote: »
    I hate ECO mode, its so unresponsive. I drive with ECO mode off and go gentle on the accelerator (well most of the time :))
    I drive with ECO mode on practically all of the time as I'm doing long range journeys. However, if I need to overtake, I simply press the button, maintain the same pressure on the accelerator and complete the maneuver - then press eco button again to switch it back on.

I drive with ECO mode on practically all of the time as I'm doing long range journeys. However, if I need to overtake, I simply press the button, maintain the same pressure on the accelerator and complete the maneuver - then press eco button again to switch it back on.

yup, thats exactly how I use it, reminds me of the " overdrive" facility on the old humber sceptres

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Thats definitely a personal preference thing. I couldnt use use Eco on a daily basis. Takes too much of the fun out of it. Only if I wanted to increase range would I use Eco.

Im not sure Eco helps you much on a long journey where you have sustained speeds like a motorway? It only helps where you are accelerating frequently.

yup, thats exactly how I use it, reminds me of the " overdrive" facility on the old humber sceptres

Are you showing your age or just a vintage enthusiast! :)

Eco tames the lurching forward with a gentle push of the throttle, good for town traffic however, if you're used to the dull eco experience and forget eco is on , you could rear end the car in front easy enough.

you could rear end the car in front easy enough.

in a 100hp Leaf , Im still laughing !!!!

Are you showing your age or just a vintage enthusiast!

me dads car, learned to drive in it !!!. ( way way back )
    Then went through Alfas, mazdas, a BMW , the odd Porsche, 5 rangies, a Nisan 300 ZX, a few Jap/Jerry boxes and now an EV !!!!!!!!

KCross wrote: »
    Thats definitely a personal preference thing. I couldnt use use Eco on a daily basis. Takes too much of the fun out of it. Only if I wanted to increase range would I use Eco.

More a necessity than a preference. I don't think anyone would bother with ECO unless there was a compelling reason to use it. Is it more fun to drive without it? - sure.

in a 100hp Leaf , Im still laughing !!!!

100 HP that has much more torque form start than an ICE of 100 HP.

100 HP that has much more torque form start than an ICE of 100 HP.

The change in throttle response going from ECO to non-ECO is never going to accelerate anyone into the back of anything , seriously

Yes it makes a big difference, it's dead in eco unless you put your foot to the floor.

Yes it makes a big difference, it's dead in eco unless you put your foot to the floor.

I drive in Eco as the default mode, out of Eco fur quick passing , back to Eco. Lovely

I drive in Eco as the default mode, out of Eco fur quick passing , back to Eco. Lovely
    Exactly like that. The Leaf can be responsive but it's not as if it's a masserati.
    Othewise, you can always pull out first and then press the button.

• Advertisement

Whatever floats your "Boat" :)

but it's not as if it's a masserati

err, correct . its a Jap mid family sized car. I dont expect it to be anything else

err, correct . its a Jap mid family sized car. I dont expect it to be anything else
    Yup -the masserati comment was in response to an earlier poster suggesting it's dangerous to press the button to go from eco to regular mode (i.e. of course its not).

Hmm, it could be if you're used to the dead throttle in ECO and then press the throttle harder in normal D and you're close to the car in front. If you're aware of it it's a non issue if you're not........

Hmm, it could be if you're used to the dead throttle in ECO and then press the throttle harder in normal D and you're close to the car in front. If you're aware of it it's a non issue if you're not........
    It's your car - you're aware of it. If it's a rental (and there can't be a whole lot of rentals out there just yet) and you have not driven before, then why the need to press the eco button if you're right up someones backside? Even if you are, its a fair assumption that the driver applies due care and attention and takes foot off accelerator and foot down hard on brake.

ah for gods sake ML, I drove a leaf every day, theres no risk of flying into anyone's rear end by pressing the ECO button. serially dude , Im howling.

Full Moon tonight Boat_Mad ?

I didn't say in ECo.

Advertisement