Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

are you guilty of 'micro-crimes' ?

Options
  • 23-10-2016 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭

interesting bit on Sky News today about UK population breaking the law every day. May be petty, but its still breaking law and being criminal whatever way you look at it. Some people say crime is crime , whatever way you look at it or dress it up.

So (i'm pretty sure most of us are guilty of this) amongst other things

*Downloading stuff illegally off internet without paying for it

*avoiding fares on public transport (or lying about age or children's age to get them cheaper fare)

*Paying people 'cash in hand' for work (if they are doing this to prevent paying TAX, your an accessory to the crime, paying them cash in hand)

so really - I bet there are loads of people that wouldnt dream of ever knowingly breaking the law carrying out these type of 'micro crimes' on a daily basis

Are you guilty of any (without opening yourself to prosecution LOL :D )

Source: http://news.sky.com/story/three-out-of-four-britons-are-micro-criminals-poll-10629227

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Can't step outside the door without breaking some kind of silly law or regulation these days..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

White lies are hardly a criminal offence, your Honor.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Can't step outside the door without breaking some kind of silly law or regulation these days..

You in prison?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

And there's me hoping for a thread about a bunch of thieving little people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Phoebas wrote: »
    You in prison?

Sometimes I wonder about that...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

Yes Take me away

from the city and lead me to where I can be on my own, I wanted to see it, and now that I have, I want just to be left alone, I'll always remember your kind words, and I’ll still remember your name, But I’ve seen you changing and turning, and I know that things won't be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

I park in cycle lanes. They make for excellent loading bays.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

interesting bit on Sky News today about UK population breaking the law every day. May be petty, but its still breaking law and being criminal whatever way you look at it. Some people say crime is crime , whatever way you look at it or dress it up.

So (i'm pretty sure most of us are guilty of this) amongst other things

*Downloading stuff illegally off internet without paying for it

*avoiding fares on public transport (or lying about age or children's age to get them cheaper fare)

*Paying people 'cash in hand' for work (if they are doing this to prevent paying TAX, your an accessory to the crime, paying them cash in hand)

so really - I bet there are loads of people that wouldnt dream of ever knowingly breaking the law carrying out these type of 'micro crimes' on a daily basis

Are you guilty of any (without opening yourself to prosecution LOL :D )

Source: http://news.sky.com/story/three-out-of-four-britons-are-micro-criminals-poll-10629227

I don't do any of those things and crime is crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

If nobody sees it then it's not illegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

I threw a dwarf once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

interesting bit on Sky News today about UK population breaking the law every day. May be petty, but its still breaking law and being criminal whatever way you look at it. Some people say crime is crime , whatever way you look at it or dress it up. i'm pretty sure most of us are guilty of this) amongst other things Downloading stuff illegally off internet without paying for it avoiding fares on public transport (or lying about age or children's age to get them cheaper fare Paying people 'cash in hand' for work (if they are doing this to prevent paying TAX, your an accessory to the crime, paying them cash in hand so really - I bet there are loads of people that wouldnt dream of ever knowingly breaking the law carrying out these type of 'micro crimes' on a daily basis. Are you guilty of any (without opening yourself to prosecution LOL )

It's usually the very high and mighty that are the worst offender and they tell you they don't break the law it's usually bull****e I know 1 or 2 preacher types and they re the best offenders going.

I was listening to 1 politician saying the anti water brigade should pay for water / morals and it's the law etc and the same person left a mountain of debt in the ompany that person was involved in.

Streaming yes downloading no / broadband is to slow .

Love the cash in hand jobs.

Only 1 I wouldn't do is fare evasion. Don't know why but I just wouldn't.

I don't listen to the morale high ground people anymore if you want to get on in life you have to sail close to the wind. Your politicians and corporate masters are experts in it .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

Driving over the limit and illegal parking would br my major crimes. I'm pretty honest in respect to most other parts of life

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

Yes

dev100 wrote: »
    I love the cash in hand jobs.

Hand jobs are not a crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

I read the article and I have never done any of those things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

stimpson wrote:
    Hand jobs are not a crime.

So your Mrs says :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,769 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

interesting bit on Sky News today about UK population breaking the law every day.

Looks like the upside to brexit is we'll be able to deport all these UK citizens and reduce our crime rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,402 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Does watching illegal streams of shows/football matches count (although I pay for the football matches now)?

I've rented out a room to a friend for a while to a friend and taken cash as rent, jaywalked (I live in Germany - apparently, I can be fined for it) and been naked in public(ish)...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I read the list and have done some of those things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

There's a couple of times I've used non microwave-safe containers in the microwave. I'm not proud of it. I'm not ashamed of it either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Skyfarm

Your Face wrote: »
    I threw a dwarf small person once.

Fixed that for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,197 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I can't, I don't know how anyone could....

Open a link to a Sky News article.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,780 ✭✭✭buried

PARlance wrote: »
    I can't, I don't know how anyone could....

Open a link to a Sky News article.

That's the real major micro crime up in here.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Does voting for a Green Party candidate in the 2007 General Election count as a micro-crime?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I watched a banned film recently that I illegally downloaded off the internet, it was that Louis Theroux one about the scientology so I suppose that's a few laws broken there.

dev100 wrote: »
    So your Mrs says :)

She won't look down on you if that's what you have to do to make rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Aineoil wrote: »
    I read the article and I have never done any of those things.

liar liar pants on fire! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Just read the article and they hit the nail on the head down the bottom. Admitted.

Surprised office stationery wasn't mentioned. Technically if you wrote on someone's going away card or birthday card with an office biro you stole that minute amount of ink.

Iwasfrozen wrote: »

If you've driven over a 1,000 miles as a driver you've almost certainly been over the limit (even if only unknowingly) although such offences weren't mentioned in the article.

We've all broken the law at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I've done nearly all of those things. Last year was on a train from Leeds that was a half hour earlier than the one I booked so they gave me a £180 fine. I gave them an ID that has my initial on it and gave them a fake first name. Got a court summons after I didn't pay the fine but it was addressed to the wrong name so got out of it.

Often yoink plastic bags at the supermarket without paying for them, did the old item switcheroo at self-checkouts when I was younger. When I was in my teens a load of people I knew were always stroking stuff from work and selling it on; lads in warehouses would have had clothes etc and often things like TVs and laptops and electrical goods. Similarly I knew one lad who worked in a hotel who robbed insane amounts of spirits and we'd be onto him every weekend.

Would never buy stuff I suspected came from a burglary or was taken off a working person but to be honest if I knew something was strokes off a multinational or large corporation I'd be less inclined to care about buying it.

People buying drugs I imagine would be one of the most commonly committed crimes.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Iwasfrozen wrote: »

What a bullsh1tter :pac:

Advertisement