Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

are you guilty of 'micro-crimes' ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭WhoWhatWhere

My wife and I once fare jumped on the luas. For no other reason that she was pregnant and had to attend a hospital app, and we didn't have any money. (We were very poor at this stage and being pregnant was very bad indeed). The Dublin bus allowed us into the city from tallaght but we didn't even think about getting home! My sister even topped up the leap card online with her debit but at the time it took up to 48hrs to go through. We were terrifed of getting caught. I had a social welfare pass but it was single only so my wife would have been the one to get into trouble. Still feel guilty over that tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭WhoWhatWhere

FTA69 wrote: »
    I've done nearly all of those things. Last year was on a train from Leeds that was a half hour earlier than the one I booked so they gave me a £180 fine. I gave them an ID that has my initial on it and gave them a fake first name. Got a court summons after I didn't pay the fine but it was addressed to the wrong name so got out of it.

Often yoink plastic bags at the supermarket without paying for them, did the old item switcheroo at self-checkouts when I was younger. When I was in my teens a load of people I knew were always stroking stuff from work and selling it on; lads in warehouses would have had clothes etc and often things like TVs and laptops and electrical goods. Similarly I knew one lad who worked in a hotel who robbed insane amounts of spirits and we'd be onto him every weekend.

Would never buy stuff I suspected came from a burglary or was taken off a working person but to be honest if I knew something was strokes off a multinational or large corporation I'd be less inclined to care about buying it.

People buying drugs I imagine would be one of the most commonly committed crimes.

None of those are small crimes they're quite bad arrestable offences.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Still feel guilty over that tbh.

C'mon dude give yourself a break

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I'm bleedin fückin Pablo Escobar of the micro-crime world.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

None of those are small crimes they're quite bad arrestable offences.

Errah I wouldn't do any of that carry on anymore.

Main micro crime now for me now would be buying smuggled stuff. There's an Irish lorry driver I know who's a great man for cheap Belgian booze, fags and joints of meat. I'd three legs of lamb off him for a tenner the other day.

Also wouldn't turn my nose up at counterfeit sportswear, pirate DVDs etc.

• Advertisement

There's a Guard I know who gets all sorts of (stolen) sh1t off a traveller. When he tells it its like a scene with Pa Connors and the Sergeant in Killinascully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Jesus. wrote: »
    There's a Guard I know who gets all sorts of (stolen) sh1t off a traveller. When he tells it its like a scene with Pa Connors and the Sergeant in Killinascully.

I think you'll find that WAS a scene from Killinascully :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Jesus. wrote: »

thats good, nice to see "lead by example" - the gardai setting a good example etc and dont break the law scenario... :D

Whats that a "Do as as I say, not as I do!" logic there then?

EDIT: jaysus if you cannot expect the Gardai to follow the law of the land then how is joe public supposed to be expected to

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

stimpson wrote: »
    Hand jobs are not a crime.

If you say so father........:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

confession time - when I was 15 I looked like a 12 year old so I got a cheap day return train ticket for a child from Luton to London ... sorry British Rail :o

Felt so guilty, always looking over me shoulder and nearly sh!tted meself when guard came around to check tickets - got away with it, but there you go, I committed a micro-crime!

EDIT: just remembered , I think on same occasion I slipped into London Dungeon through an open fire door at the back of the place for free so I didnt have to pay entrance fee .. Sh!te I must have been a rebel back then!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

mad muffin wrote: »
    I'm bleedin fückin Pablo Escobar of the micro-crime world.

No you're not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 299 ✭✭Old Bill

I think jumping on the Luas without paying would not be a criminal offence but a civil issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

interesting bit on Sky News today about UK population breaking the law every day.

Murdoch News would do better to report on major systemic corruption instead of whining about regular people not being rule-following automatons.

Fuck Sky 'News'.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

No you're not.

Shït! Rumbled… *shifty eyes*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Skyfarm wrote: »
    Fixed that for you.

Well, he was dressed as Gimli so maybe relax your anus a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭HellSquirrel

I have downloaded, mostly science papers or books when I was doing my degrees. I think I might have once claimed a child fare when I was sixteen. Apart from that, I've been pretty well-behaved.

I have never thrown a moose out of an airplane over Alaska. Admittedly, probably partially because I've never had an airplane, a moose and Alaska in correct proximity to each other. I'll come back to you on that if I do, see if I'm really a hardened moose-throwing criminal at heart.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

From http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056695598/7?

bijapos wrote: »
    I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

in the days before barcode scanning...

i would sometimes change the price tag on a CD or Book if i didn't have enough money for it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I've often been a visitor and NOT reported to reception.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I travel to Germany quite a bit, I used to challenge myself to get tickets at the automated machines through German in Berlin for the trains. It was working out well for me until the undercover train cops looked at my ticket and were about to give me a fine.
    Turns out I was buying some sort of child student ticket for years.

No fine, was just kicked off the train and told to get a new ticket.

• Advertisement

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

and you didn't know, ya right

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

I'll admit to having s few bookies biros around the house.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

and you didn't know, ya right

Honestly no, I actually checked at the machines, there is a button to translate to English. It says 'Discounted Fare' on the option I was always pressing.

ya right

I'm owning up about my micro crime here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

****ty little laws that make no sense? Yes, i break those.

Say i bought a film, and then lost the DVD. I have no issue, 5 odd years later to downloading said film.
    The filmmakers and actors have already taken their royalties. Making me pay to download it is double dipping in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Tremors wrote: »
    One question, is it illegal to masturbate in the gym showers, there are separate stalls with doors so you are in your own private shower stall?

Should be allowed.

Squats, stretching and yoga pants do terrible things to me.

I have downloaded, mostly science papers or books when I was doing my degrees.

Squirrel you've managed to make yourself sound great while owning up to micro crimes. Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'm detective Scumlord with minor crimes division, you're all in serious trouble, I can't arrest you, or issue fines, but I'm warning you, stop!, just stop doing minor crimes already.
    Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Honestly no, I actually checked at the machines, there is a button to translate to English. It says 'Discounted Fare' on the option I was always pressing.
    What I do is play thick paddie, works every time every where. Go as far as copying the evil leprechaun accent off simpsons just so they know your being Irish if there's any kind of confusion.

Once we get down to minor crimes I start to think government and laws are going to far. We've quantified every little detail of the modern world so we can now get upset over the loss of cents and value every second of our day. I'd say if people from the past came to the modern day they'd think we're anal and miserly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

the missus charges her electric toothbrush with the bathroom socket that clearly states 'shavers only'

Advertisement