Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

are you guilty of 'micro-crimes' ?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Wossack wrote: »
    the missus charges her electric toothbrush with the bathroom socket that clearly states 'shavers only'

But that may be quite legitimate - it depends on whether you regard the word 'shaver' as meaning a device or meaning a person who uses such a device!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

I've paid for the Luas about four times in its entire existence. I haven't bought a DVD or CD in roughly 32 years. I don't pick up my dog's sh*t if she does it on concrete - bad, I know, but I don't care. If I open a packet of cigarettes in public, I will let go of the plastic wrapping and let the wind carry it somewhere.

What else? Ooh. I disagree with that sign on the Dart which says seats are not for feet. In fact, I don't pay for the Dart either sometimes. If there's no man there, and the yokes are open, I will invariably walk through like the rebel that I am. And at my destination I usually tailgait somebody when they put their ticket in, and hope I get through before being sawed in half.

As far as micro crimes go, I'm a hardened criminal. Do something.

Sometimes, in direct defiance of the notice above the work kettle instructing me to only boil as much water as I need to fill my mug, I boil more and just leave it there, unwanted.

Occasionally I'm too lazy to walk to the reclycling bin and I throw my trash paper in the regular bin.

I've driven up to empty intersections with clear views all round and have not stopped, but only paused, at the stop sign.

Come at me, see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

Squatter wrote: »
    But that may be quite legitimate - it depends on whether you regard the word 'shaver' as meaning a device or meaning a person who uses such a device!

I like that! Will remember to use it when the feds eventually bust down the door and haul her in front of a judge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭HellSquirrel

ScumLord wrote: »
    Once we get down to minor crimes I start to think government and laws are going to far. We've quantified every little detail of the modern world so we can now get upset over the loss of cents and value every second of our day. I'd say if people from the past came to the modern day they'd think we're anal and miserly.

Yeah, but at that stage we can point out that they approve of hanging people for witchcraft, shooting Catholics from Trinity's belltower, have probably not practiced their archery every day as is mandated by (English) law and that it is entirely on them that you can be executed for committing suicide, that it is downright illegal to die in the Houses of Parliament (I assume that the punishment is also death :P ), that they came up with the notion that the head of a whale found dead on a beach automatically belongs to the King (the Queen gets the tail - this is true), and the truly epic bit of nit-pickery that it is illegal not to disclose anything to the taxman that you don't want him to know, but it's quite legal to not tell him stuff that you don't mind him knowing! If your unfortunate time-travelling ancestor happens to be Milanese, tell him that since he's now looking dumbstruck at being catapulted into the modern day, he is under arrest under his own laws as he is not smiling, and it was the law of Milan that one had to smile at all times, bar at funerals and hospital visits.

If they continue to argue about it while being English, the trump card is "seriously, TREASON to stick a stamp on an envelope upside down? And you're calling us nit-picking? Why not just not put the queen's head on the damn stamp if you're so worried about her doing somersaults because someone's eyesight is poor?"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭WhoWhatWhere

Hammer89 wrote: »
    I've paid for the Luas about four times in its entire existence. I haven't bought a DVD or CD in roughly 32 years. I don't pick up my dog's sh*t if she does it on concrete - bad, I know, but I don't care. If I open a packet of cigarettes in public, I will let go of the plastic wrapping and let the wind carry it somewhere.

What else? Ooh. I disagree with that sign on the Dart which says seats are not for feet. In fact, I don't pay for the Dart either sometimes. If there's no man there, and the yokes are open, I will invariably walk through like the rebel that I am. And at my destination I usually tailgait somebody when they put their ticket in, and hope I get through before being sawed in half.

As far as micro crimes go, I'm a hardened criminal. Do something.

Less criminal more ass hat

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 163 ✭✭hannible the cannible

I say it's tea when I actually get a coffee

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

*Paying people 'cash in hand' for work (if they are doing this to prevent paying TAX, your an accessory to the crime, paying them cash in hand)
    This is a load of crap. If the person can't do their own tax, that's not your problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

just last friday (or Friday last, if your Irish) I went to Athlone Shopping Centre and wanted a wee-wee , but it was something like 20c to get into the bog (toilet that is) didnt have no change, so didnt have to hang around long and a 8 year old (i'm presuming - or it could have been a dwarf wasnt really concentrating) put the money in the door thing and within a nanosecond just before the door shut I caught it. poor kid, that 20c was most probably his pocket money, and I leeched it by getting into the toilet free

- I guess I must have committed a micro-crime there didnt I?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

fryup wrote: »
    in the days before barcode scanning...

i would sometimes change the price tag on a CD or Book if i didn't have enough money for it
    Thanks to self scanning 500g of bananas costs less than a Book.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Candie wrote: »
    Sometimes, in direct defiance of the notice above the work kettle instructing me to only boil as much water as I need to fill my mug, I boil more and just leave it there, unwanted.

Occasionally I'm too lazy to walk to the reclycling bin and I throw my trash paper in the regular bin.

I've driven up to empty intersections with clear views all round and have not stopped, but only paused, at the stop sign.

Come at me, see what happens.

A pause is a stop. So... you can add murdering grammar to your list of crimes.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Oh, I've done lots...

...arrest me OP!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭shineon23

I've often not kept off the grass, just for kicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

I have attacked the poster, not the post before.... and got away with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭WhoWhatWhere

I have attacked the poster, not the post before.... and got away with it.

You're a renegade.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

the_syco wrote: »
    This is a load of crap. If the person can't do their own tax, that's not your problem.

I couldn't agree more.

The biggest load of ****e foisting this on the employers.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,415 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Break the law everyday, very satisfying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

stimpson wrote: »
    Hand jobs are not a crime.

Depends who is giving them

nice_guy80 wrote:
    Depends who is giving them

And whether they charge cash in hand :D

• Advertisement

Pre 2006 I guess dossing around with Ouija boards and the like probably fell under the old - now gone - law of "Any person who shall pretend or exercise to use any type of witchcraft, sorcery, enchantment, or pretend knowledge in any occult or craft or science shall for any such offense suffer imprisonment at the time of one whole year and also shall be obliged to obscursion for his/her good behavior."

Not sure if that law was real - but I read it somewhere and copy and pasted it for later interest.

But also not sure I am currently breaking any laws on the list to be honest.

I did do some illegal downloading of computer games in the past. A couple of times - not many. But recently when purchasing part 3 in that series I purchased part 1 and 2 as well. So I feel I _somewhat_ made up for it. Though clearly the price now is cheaper than the price then. But I was not about to quibble over specifics :)

Actually I almost feel _too_ pure in my lack of breaking even "micro"-laws. I feel the urge to genuinely break a law sometime. My master mind crime at the moment is to go to the supermarket and if I see someone - which I see quite often - replacing a trolley with their receipt dumped in the trolley - I plan to run around and get everything on the receipt and walk out with it. And if someone spots me and asks me did I pay for everything - I will show them the receipt which will have the right items at approximately the right time.

Criminal master mind me.

But no - pretty much all pure here. Unless my crazy DIY projects broke some planning laws I was not aware of. Oh and I never give Ducks the right of way in traffic. Is that still a thing?

Did I read somewhere that going to the cinema on a Sunday is technically illegal in Belfast due to the "Sunday Observance" law? Or did I dream that? I also might be in periodic breach of the recent Defamation Act too - but I do not think I have met anyone yet who is 100% sure what that law applies to and everyone is just kinda on hold hoping some legal case will finally test it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Ordered a pint at 10.30 on a Sunday in a pub. It was filled with people who were obviously in for the cure.

Place emptied out by about 1pm but it was great craic in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭HellSquirrel

obscursion

That's a great word.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭FionnK86

OP is definitely a guard who is striking but still wants to get some undercover work done.

I'll never admit to taking more than the sugar i need from the Spar coffee counter to bring home for my own personal use!!!

FionnK86 wrote: »
    OP is definitely a guard who is striking but still wants to get some undercover work done.

I'll never admit to taking more than the sugar i need from the Spar coffee counter to bring home for my own personal use!!!

I find the defendant guilty your honour ...

Advertisement