Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

heatons rip off

• 23-10-2016 7:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭

was in earlier, hi vis trousers,dunlop.. marked 50% off at 18 euro, price tag had 17.99 pounds marked over with black marker ,disgusted at the 50% sale signs,hate that sheet.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,347 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Was purchase mandatory?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

was in earlier, hi vis trousers,dunlop.. marked 50% off at 18 euro, price tag had 17.99 pounds marked over with black marker ,disgusted at the 50% sale signs,hate that sheet.

What does the price charged in the UK, have to do with the price charged in Ireland?

When I go to the states, I buy Timberland stuff at about a quarter of the price I would have to pay here. So what is wrong here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

What does the price charged in the UK, have to do with the price charged in Ireland?

When I go to the states, I buy Timberland stuff at about a quarter of the price I would have to pay here. So what is wrong here?

It sounds like people buying Timberland stuff in this country are being ripped off.

The prices of things in the UK reflects what a product can be sold for there. Add a few percent for differences in Irish/British VAT, a bit extra for the higher cost of doing business here, we see what it could be sold for in this country. If the price here is higher than that, then most likely the seller is increasing their profit simply because they can. That's not illegal, but consumers tend not to like it. And despite the efforts of people who like the status quo ("Was purchase mandatory?"), consumers will share their experiences.

From the "What is a rip-off" sticky:
    What this forum is for is to discuss when consumers have been ripped off because of high prices. Ripoff Ireland forum was started to discuss the rediculously hihg prices of goods and services in Ireland compared to our European neighbours and mainly came about because of our change to Euro and the fact it was easier to see the price differences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

whats the market in the uk vs republic of Ireland , how much are these trousers going for in china. Its as relevant as the uk price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

ssmith6287 wrote: »
    whats the market in the uk vs republic of Ireland , how much are these trousers going for in china. Its as relevant as the uk price

The real problem is Heatons and others putting the sterling price in large print and the euro price in a much smaler print. It misleads the consumer who expects the price to be marked in euro, the local curency.
    no one care what the price is in china or america unless the shop starts marking the price in dollars. Which they wont because it would make the product seem more expencive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There are retailers who have their $ price on products actually.

Sportsdirect/Sportsworld/Heatons are a much larger chain in the UK than here. If they had to re-tag every item for Ireland, they'd end up charging more for the cost + labour. Its a constantly recurring complaint but its not going to change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Multi currency pricing has been on magazines & books for decades. Nothing new -as said above to have individual pricing will increase the price for everyone.

In the OPs case it would appear the item is £17.99 in the UK which is about 21 euro, and is 18 euro here. So this might be another thread more suited to bargain alerts. How much were the trousers in another similar bricks & mortar shop here who do not use euro only price tags?

Bogus "half price" sales are very common these days, tesco is littered with half price offers. They simply raise the price to double for the legally required amount of time, a few might buy at this price, then they lower it after the required time.

Advertisement