Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

putting on a play in a public house?

Options
  • 23-10-2016 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭

has anyone here ever put on a play in a public house? did it work out? or is there hassle from drunk people

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Bob Z wrote: »
    has anyone here ever put on a play in a public house? did it work out? or is there hassle from drunk people

Upstairs in the Hapenny Inn was done before. It worked well and can be closed off to general public.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Saipanne wrote: »
    Upstairs in the Hapenny Inn was done before. It worked well and can be closed off to general public.

cheers are people still keyed into the play even though they are drinking?

cheers are people still keyed into the play even though they are drinking?

Ah yeah, they're not getting hammered on a drink or two. I'd close the bar during performances too. Let them buy drink at the start and the interval.

Other options are downstairs in Flanagan's and the Portobello has a stage downstairs too.

Ah yeah, they're not getting hammered on a drink or two. I'd close the bar during performances too. Let them buy drink at the start and the interval.

Other options are downstairs in Flanagan's and the Portobello has a stage downstairs too.

is there a different atmosphere to putting it on in a pub? would you get a crowd that wouldnt go to the theatre normally? is their attention span shorter?

is there a different atmosphere to putting it on in a pub? would you get a crowd that wouldnt go to the theatre normally? is their attention span shorter?

Yes, I would say it works better for a comedy as the alcohol loosens people up a bit.

That depends on how you market it!

No more, no less I'd say. But I would hesitate to put a really serious play on in such a setting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Our Drama Group, Trim Drama Group, are putting on The Weir in a pub next month, rehearshals going grand, maybe if you wanted to pop along to see how it works out and it may give you some ideas

tdg_zpskhlrh6o6.jpg

Yes, I would say it works better for a comedy as the alcohol loosens people up a bit.

That depends on how you market it!

No more, no less I'd say. But I would hesitate to put a really serious play on in such a setting.

i was thinking of putting on a half hour comedy play i know half hour is short for a play the pub is on the main street and i was only going to charge a small nominal fee iwas thinking people would come along and have a laugh for the night before they go out on the town..

i was thinking of putting on a half hour comedy play i know half hour is short for a play the pub is on the main street and i was only going to charge a small nominal fee iwas thinking people would come along and have a laugh for the night before they go out on the town..

I think a short play would be better suited to a pub. If it's set in a pub, all the better. Best of luck with it.

I think a short play would be better suited to a pub. If it's set in a pub, all the better. Best of luck with it.

thanks i was thinking it could work because the pub is near the middle of the town. the only thing im worried about is people coming in really drunk and heckling actors but i might sell the tickets in advance

the pub wont charge for the use of the room as tthey want a crowd in

Advertisement