Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fake university degree

Options
  • 23-10-2016 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭

Have you or do you know anyone that has a fake university degree? Did they manage to get employment out of it? Or were they found out as frauds? Im interested to hear what after hours has to say.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You first OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭The Wolverine

The HSE here and NHS across the pond show the fakes are well worth the money anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Ahh the fake paper till someone actually checks it on the system and it's non existent.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Yeah, I know a doctor who got his degree from Hollywood Upstairs Medical College.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Peregrine wrote: »
    Yeah, I know a doctor who got his degree from Hollywood Upstairs Medical College.

With a leg for an arm and an arm for a leg!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,508 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It's the honoury degrees that are handed out all the time that annoy me. Nothing but pointless PR for all concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

My current employer didn't even ask for my 'credentials'. All those years for nothin! At least look at it yis cúntz!!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Joe Hill

Pac1Man wrote: »
    My current employer didn't even ask for my 'credentials'. All those years for nothin! At least look at it yis cúntz!!

Hilarious!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Guy I know had to drop out of his final year of college and never went back, put the degree on his cv for years. He's done fairly well for himself, he's still in his degree area but any job he's applying for now wouldn't be asking for proof of an outdated qualification.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Arghus wrote: »
    It's the honoury degrees that are handed out all the time that annoy me. Nothing but pointless PR for all concerned.

What would happen if someone was to look for work off one of these??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

What would happen if someone was to look for work off one of these??

You don't get them if you actually need to submit a CV for your next role. If you're at the point where you receive an honorary then the firms hunt you down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

I've been working as a gynaecologist for the last five years. No idea what I'm doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

"Doctor" Ian Paisley.

That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Senna wrote: »
    Guy I know had to drop out of his final year of college and never went back, put the degree on his cv for years. He's done fairly well for himself, he's still in his degree area but any job he's applying for now wouldn't be asking for proof of an outdated qualification.
    Why not?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

People who are famous actors ,singers get degrees ,its a scam to get publicity for the university .yes its pointless pr . If certain jobs don,t check degrees thats their problem.You still need to pass their interview and be able to do the job.
    Many tech jobs ask you to do a basic test to show you understand
    programming and how to actually do the job.i wonder do jobs actually ask to see your leaving cert if you are going for a job aged 27,
    or do they just look at your cv .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,219 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

riclad wrote: »
    People who are famous actors ,singers get degrees ,its a scam to get publicity for the university .yes its pointless pr . If certain jobs don,t check degrees thats their problem.You still need to pass their interview and be able to do the job.
    Many tech jobs ask you to do a basic test to show you understand
    programming and how to actually do the job.i wonder do jobs actually ask to see your leaving cert if you are going for a job aged 27,
    or do they just look at your cv

I worked for a multinational that did. They would perform a background check on every employee through a third party. They would only check your most recent qualification. So if you had a degree they'd check that but not the leaving cert. If you had a leaving cert and that's it, then your leaving would be checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Why not?

After 30 years’ experience in IT (even after 5-10 years), your experience is everything and your degree is pretty much irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I have graduated over 10 years ago and i have never once been asked to produce my degree. I honestly dont even know where it is.

4 years just for that one line on my CV.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

TallGlass wrote: »
    Ahh the fake paper till someone actually checks it on the system and it's non existent.

What system?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Commotion Ocean

I have a degree in bolloxology if that counts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

funny, cause the one area of employment that there is a verification body for your qualifications is teaching
    they go through them with a fine tooth comb

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

As other posters have said, noone ever asks to see your degree. However the large multinationals use a 3rd party to do background checks, you get asked to sign a data protection waiver for this. Noone can even check your degree unless you give them permission!

The 3rd party agencies that do these checks are of course completely incompetent. I had University of Dublin down on CV, and after checking the agency told my employer that there was no record of me attending UCD. I told my boss their assessment was accurate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I started a new job here in France in September, they wanted a copy of all my qualifications and to see the originals. They even wanted a copy of the Leaving Cert (and I got that nearly 20 years ago!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭noaddedsugar

Grayson wrote: »
    I worked for a multinational that did. They would perform a background check on every employee through a third party. They would only check your most recent qualification. So if you had a degree they'd check that but not the leaving cert. If you had a leaving cert and that's it, then your leaving would be checked.

This was my experience in my current job, also a multinational. They outsourced the back ground checks. I was out of work for six months in between jobs and I even had to get people to vouch for the fact that I was out of work and not in prison or summat.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭cml387

Ben Goldacre (Guardian journalist, doctor, skeptic) once got a doctorate for his cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

Depends on what field you work in really.

You can forget about full-time mad bastardism if you can't produce the relevant documents from the university of life or school of hard knocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

cml387 wrote: »
    Ben Goldacre (Guardian journalist, doctor, skeptic) once got a doctorate for his cat.

His dead cat.

The same one as Gillian McKeith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

This was my experience in my current job, also a multinational. They outsourced the back ground checks. I was out of work for six months in between jobs and I even had to get people to vouch for the fact that I was out of work and not in prison or summat.

Or what?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Good old Springfield Heights Institute of Technology.

Advertisement