Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fake university degree

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,508 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

El Weirdo wrote: »
    His dead cat.

The same one as Gillian McKeith.

He was responsible for one of the best out downs ever -

"Gillian McKeith, or to call her by her full medical title... Gillian McKeith."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,435 ✭✭✭✭Water John

You can always sign up to Trump University. Oops that's gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Mr.S wrote: »
    I know loads of people that have done that.

I've been asked about my degree lots of times, but never actually been asked for proof by an employer.

Depends on the company though, for the big law firms you often need to produce junior cert results :D

hmmm I was over on the accounting forums and an employee of one of the big 4 who posts there was saying that they always focus heavily on discussing leaving cert results in all interviews, even if the applicant is well into his her 30s. I replied that I wouldn't remember enough about an exam I took 18 years ago to say anything, nor is it remotely relevant at this stage and the jumped up little b***ix replied to me then that I was obviously too stupid to apply to his prestigious organisation. :rolleyes:

I'd rather work for someone who doesn't dwell so far in past irrelevancies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

How do you remember all that stuff?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Sure didn't we have a Taoiseach who made up his third level qualifications?
    Look how that ended!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

kbannon wrote: »
    Look how that ended!

For him or us?:mad:

I had to produce my parchments for my current job, so it does happen that you're asked.

If I had a job I got by lying, I'd be an anxious mess waiting to be found out.

Look how that ended!

Amazing how someone made it to the position of Minister of Finance with no qualifications & no bank account. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Look how that ended!

"claimed he'd attended UCD and the London School of Economics. His spokesperson said: "He has never claimed to hold degrees from UCD or anywhere else. He remembers doing the courses, but not what they were." Now it emerged that not only was he not a qualified accountant, but that as Finance Minister, he didn't even have a bank account, and was moving large cash sums in mysterious ways."

Classic stuff. Amazing how mad stuff like this fades from the memory over the years. Up there with "won it on the geegees".

Didn't stop him being appointed a visiting professor at NUI Maynooth though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    How do you remember all that stuff?

He has a degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

"claimed he'd attended UCD and the London School of Economics. His spokesperson said: "He has never claimed to hold degrees from UCD or anywhere else. He remembers doing the courses, but not what they were." Now it emerged that not only was he not a qualified accountant, but that as Finance Minister, he didn't even have a bank account, and was moving large cash sums in mysterious ways."

Classic stuff. Amazing how mad stuff like this fades from the memory over the years. Up there with "won it on the geegees".

Didn't stop him being appointed a visiting professor at NUI Maynooth though!

Did stop him being on campus there though. His seminars were held at the Glen Royal iirc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

I heard of one lad from foreign lands who uses his high-school diploma to get into technical jobs.
    It was down to the wording of the diploma itself - it comes across as an award from a technical institute.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Hammer89 wrote: »
    I've been working as a gynaecologist for the last five years. No idea what I'm doing.

So what do you do all day? Just fanny about trying to look busy?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Did stop him being on campus there though. His seminars were held at the Glen Royal iirc.

Think that was to avoid the protests. Original plan was to hold them on campus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

So what do you do all day? Just fanny about trying to look busy?

Or getting in a flap? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

As for Leaving Cert.... My nephew was in a civil service job and whenever he applied for change of department or any type of job change (he found it hard to settle....has best job in the world now, but thats a different story), he had to quote his LC results, even though he was well into 20s. Got to point where he filled in form from memory. Then one time he was hauled up ad he said he got a B in one subject when he really got a C. The feckers actually checked!!

So, I guess it depends on the people you work for (or going to work for) if there will be checking.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭batistuta9

What's the reasoning behind asking for LC results?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

These kind of post are in general:

Is there any way I can get away with it.

Is there anyway they can avoid doing any academic work and get a qualification.

They have a degree but have a sneaking admiration for the chancre in life, if they have a choice between doing things the correct way or the cute hoors way they always choose the later.

Or

Its not fair that someone they know got a particular job or promotion because they are convinced that a business degree is all waffle any way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

I laughed at this bit
    "as the strong reputation of the Smurfit school has been damaged"

batistuta9 wrote: »
    What's the reasoning behind asking for LC results?
    To see how you did in your Leaving Cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I got asked for my Junior Cert results recently. I did the Inter. I also have a degree, a Masters and PhD. I am 43. End of that application!

I agree there would be little difference between ten A+ and ten Fs if you are flipping burgers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

I'd say it's a public sector / semi state way of putting a veneer of credibility/rigour on their candidate selection. "Ah if we had it all decided before we put the ad up we wouldn't be looking for all these details from the dawn of time would we?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Senna wrote: »
    After 30 years’ experience in IT (even after 5-10 years), your experience is everything and your degree is pretty much irrelevant.

hmmm, after 20 years experience the current place Im in looked for proof of my qualifications. They wanted to see the parchment(s). So did the previous job actually.

Then again, I dont think they checked it with the universities in question - or maybe they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

diomed wrote: »
    I agree there would be little difference between ten A+ and ten Fs if you are flipping burgers.
    There is little difference between ten A1 and ten F's once you have a degree.

Requiring people to have a degree to apply and then asking for LC results is pure bureaucracy. The civil service is a disaster for it, but so too the dinosaur fields like finance.

It's traditionally been a way to keep certain "types" out of these areas.

Anyway, yeah, never been asked to produce either proof of a degree or a leaving cert transcript. In many cases you could stick down anything and provided you talk the talk and have the experience, nobody cares about your college education.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    There is little difference between ten A1 and ten F's once you have a degree.

Requiring people to have a degree to apply and then asking for LC results is pure bureaucracy. The civil service is a disaster for it, but so too the dinosaur fields like finance.

It's traditionally been a way to keep certain "types" out of these areas.

Anyway, yeah, never been asked to produce either proof of a degree or a leaving cert transcript. In many cases you could stick down anything and provided you talk the talk and have the experience, nobody cares about your college education.

Not just civil service, as I said somewhere earlier in this thread, the big 4 apparently seem to put a huge emphasis on leaving cert results (or maybe it's really what school you attended) even if it was decades ago.

Not sure about the competence or priorities of the large accounting firms if this is the case.

Advertisement