Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fake university degree

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    Not just civil service, as I said somewhere earlier in this thread, the big 4 apparently seem to put a huge emphasis on leaving cert results (or maybe it's really what school you attended) even if it was decades ago.

Not sure about the competence or priorities of the large accounting firms if this is the case.
    Like I say, they're one of the dinosaur industries. Very slow to adapt to social change, a tendency to stick with old social norms like hiring based on who their Daddy is, what school(s) they went to, whether they played Rugby/GAA, etc.

Someone who got a poor leaving cert, or no leaving cert, and earned their qualification "the long way" is not part of the "stock" they prefer to hire into their business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

seamus wrote: »
    Like I say, they're one of the dinosaur industries. Very slow to adapt to social change, a tendency to stick with old social norms like hiring based on who their Daddy is, what school(s) they went to, whether they played Rugby/GAA, etc.

Someone who got a poor leaving cert, or no leaving cert, and earned their qualification "the long way" is not part of the "stock" they prefer to hire into their business.

Explains why the other t*t over on the accounting forums told me I woudn't have a chance if I wasn't from a rugby background.
    Hiring mainly from Ross O'Carroll Kelly 'stock' has it downsides as evidenced by the likes of Anglo Irish bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,614 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Fake university degree?

Lots of people have a degree from a fake university!
    I mean, UCD isn't a real university is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Fake university degree?

Lots of people have a degree from a fake university!
    I mean, UCD isn't a real university is it?

I dunno, but I always assumed Trinity was just something Paul Howard made up! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Its pointless debate-paper means little to none,deepening on field one is looking into experience might matter most.

ex:take someone who worked in IT industry for decade,then some student that just got out of college.one might have degree but one with experience would likely nail the job.

Thus as saying goes fake it till you make it on CV.And dont see issue with that is person is capable of doing whatever job they apply,and nail inverview given that they are asked on what they actually are capable off then its non an issue,only fields as said some are outdated the way they hire,and in many cases you have HR who has little to none clue what person they need thus in that case they pick ones with degrees,and then end up getting lemon if person turns out to be know all from paper but never actually did it.

met loads of people that didn't even finish leaving cert yet after 10-20yrs working in their field could nail 6 figure jobs just by laying out their experience not certs.

And when looking at jobs its always experience at the top that employers look

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

scamalert wrote: »
    met loads of people that didn't even finish leaving cert yet after 10-20yrs working in their field could nail 6 figure jobs just by laying out their experience not certs.

I think the point is that faking qualifications will not be looked upon favourably if found out no matter how good you are at the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

At home a local girl of a well to do man failed to get the points for Nursing so she went to DBS. She then went to work in the Bank. Once the banking crisis hit after a few years and it was found out that she was nothing more than a pretty face and bought degree. Then Daddy paid for her to get an add on degree in the UK and now she is primary teaching and still as thick as proverbial elephant $%^&.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

At home a local girl of a well to do man failed to get the points for Nursing so she went to DBS. She then went to work in the Bank. Once the banking crisis hit after a few years and it was found out that she was nothing more than a pretty face and bought degree. Then Daddy paid for her to get an add on degree in the UK and now she is primary teaching and still as thick as proverbial elephant $%^&.

Are all degrees not bought? Education aint free you know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Are all degrees not bought? Education aint free you know!

No one said entry to a course was free but they were more interested in seeing her daddys cheque clear than an demonstartion of intelligence or talent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

My own experience would differ from this. Based on 16 years working and lecturing in accountancy, I would suggest that accountancy is actually a quite meritocratic profession. I have observed all types of "stock" rise to positions of prominence in practice, industry and academia.

Anyway, I think we are all forgetting the real issue here

https://twitter.com/KennedySinger?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Mike Ross never went to Harvard and he got jail...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

I wasn't asked for my degrees when applying for my current job, (I have an ordinary and an honours in 2 different courses hence the plural..) but there was an audit coming up and they asked everyone for them then. Actually I can't remember if they asked for the parchments or the transcripts.. I think it was the transcripts actually.. Makes no odds though, my feckin parchment doesn't even say what my degree is in! Bachelor of Science. thats it. no specifying what area! lol

I wouldn't know where to start looking for my LC results!

You can simply 'buy' degrees from DBS? That devalues the qualifications of their legitimate students who actually studied to graduate.

My own experience would differ from this. Based on 16 years working and lecturing in accountancy, I would suggest that accountancy is actually a quite meritocratic profession. I have observed all types of "stock" rise to positions of prominence in practice, industry and academia.

I get the feeling the poster was referring more specifically the so called 'big 4' company & their associated internal cultures.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

I think the point is that faking qualifications will not be looked upon favourably if found out no matter how good you are at the job.
    thanks for correcting me,i was referring more to jobs that overlook whole degree aspect and look for experience of which are a lot of jobs.

But can't see anyone getting away with medical,financial fakes degrees - one still has to have experience and know how to,as opposed to jobs where you could Bull your way into and build upon your existing experience without having proper degree.

That said,yes most degrees can bought,if not theres test dumps and other cheats to get degree - now in such cases people doing that, they take their own risk,and having fancy degree where one could go for senior position without having clue in the field would be short lived and expensive experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

He actually refers to himself as Doctor? Ugh. Most people who have real PhDs (ie actually worked for them, didn't just get them as a PR stunt for a university) never refer to themselves as doctor outside of their field (and even then, you don't need to because people know it anyway).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

ah lads you are depressing me here, am in 2nd year of a computing degree and now your saying its worth nothing without experience? am off for a little cry in the corner :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭pgj2015

did she kill your whole family or what? why are you so obsessed with her?

pgj2015 wrote: »
    did she kill your whole family or what? why are you so obsessed with her?

Not sure when the poster referred to 'bought degee' did he mean fake?

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭MetalDog

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laura_Callahan

US Director of Homeland Security, was forced to resign after it was found she'd got fake credentials from a degree mill.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

soups05 wrote: »
    ah lads you are depressing me here, am in 2nd year of a computing degree and now your saying its worth nothing without experience? am off for a little cry in the corner :(

You cannot get experience without the degree, so it's catch 22. But yes, once you have a few years experience, the degree means nothing, especially in Dev where your degree actually teaches the bare basics and you will learn 10 times more in a short period in industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

You can simply 'buy' degrees from DBS? That devalues the qualifications of their legitimate students who actually studied to graduate.

I would think being in a course designed for thickos with rich parents in the first place devalues the qualifications of their students.

I would think being in a course designed for thickos with rich parents in the first place devalues the qualifications of their students.

nice way to denigrate the efforts of many mature students who did business/finance related courses there (paying for themeselves, not 'rich parents').

I myself attended that college for most of my ACCA tuition, also funded by yours truly.

I suppose anyone who ever entered the grounds of Griffith is also a rich thicko?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

There is little difference between ten A1 and ten F's once you have a degree.

Requiring people to have a degree to apply and then asking for LC results is pure bureaucracy. The civil service is a disaster for it, but so too the dinosaur fields like finance.

It's traditionally been a way to keep certain "types" out of these areas.

Anyway, yeah, never been asked to produce either proof of a degree or a leaving cert transcript. In many cases you could stick down anything and provided you talk the talk and have the experience, nobody cares about your college education.

This used to drive me nuts when I worked in the civil service. Anytime there was a promotion contest, people in their forties and fifties would be racking their brains trying to remember what they got in their Leaving Cert years and years ago. Many of them now had degrees, and all of them years of relevant experience. Yet this archaic system still wants to know what grade they got in Geography back in 1981. Ridiculous!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Senna wrote: »
    You cannot get experience without the degree, so it's catch 22. But yes, once you have a few years experience, the degree means nothing, especially in Dev where your degree actually teaches the bare basics and you will learn 10 times more in a short period in industry.

I'm not convinced they even do that much.

nice way to denigrate the efforts of many mature students who did business/finance related courses there (paying for themeselves, not 'rich parents').

I myself attended that college for most of my ACCA tuition, also funded by yours truly.

I suppose anyone who ever entered the grounds of Griffith is also a rich thicko?

I would second this. The majority of accounting students in these institutions work very hard, and proceed to good jobs in Big Four etc. They may not have succeeded spectacularly at age 18, but most of them have turned it round by 21/22, or whenever they graduate.

'Buying a degree' is an absolute misperception when it comes to DBS/Griffith.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

Well yeah

Advertisement