Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fake university degree

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

Bertie Ahern is "An Accountant" ...sob.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Senna wrote: »
    You cannot get experience without the degree, so it's catch 22. But yes, once you have a few years experience, the degree means nothing, especially in Dev where your degree actually teaches the bare basics and you will learn 10 times more in a short period in industry.

Oh yes, help you we can. Use your hate!!

:pac::pac::pac:

I would think being in a course designed for thickos with rich parents in the first place devalues the qualifications of their students.

What, realistically, are the chances of the children of people sharp enough to become rich in the first place being "thickos"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,606 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Oh we can now use your bank account to measure your IQ.
    I suppose unless you are worth a certain amount you shouldn't be allowed vote as your thick and might now use it properly.

About the 18th Century in views.

Water John wrote: »
    Oh we can now use your bank account to measure your IQ.
    I suppose unless you are worth a certain amount you shouldn't be allowed vote as your thick and might now use it properly.

About the 18th Century in views.

Would Sir like a flamethrower to really give that strawman what-for?? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

There are a lot of foreign students in the college of surgeons who have pay huge fees to study there.

The CAO points required for a third level course have no relevance to the academic rigour of the course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

mariaalice wrote: »
    There are a lot of foreign students in the college of surgeons who have pay huge fees to study there.

The CAO points required for a third level course have no relevance to the academic rigour of the course.

But were all diplomas/degrees etc standardised throughout Europe in recent years so that the same amount of work gets you the same thing across different universities and colleges?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

mariaalice wrote: »

Indeed, even take degrees from private colleges for example which some have slated here. They grant more or less the same exemptions to professional body accountancy body exams as the equivalents from the universities/ITs, so I can presume that the professional bodies have analysed the syllabus composition and decided there is no real difference.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Depends on the profession. Accountants for example keep a database of up to date memberships so you have to pay them 150 or so every year to be on it. I've only ever had an agency check it though, not an employer.

What system?

Some professions have a system that can be checked. Accountants are one, I'd imagine doctors, dentists etc. are others. I'd say there's a lot of professions that don't have them either though.

• Advertisement

Well yeah

And have you worked full-time and gotten a degree Captain? And paid for it yourself? Just wondering?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,325 ✭✭✭✭endacl

diomed wrote: »
    I agree there would be little difference between ten A+ and ten Fs if you are flipping burgers.

If you were doing any job, more like. I've a very ordinary LC. And a worse repeat LC. I do have an MSc, Post Grad Dip, HDip, and degree, along with several other certs and diplomas that are slightly better regarded...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Wasn't it UCG that had a fire in the records dept many years back ?

Defo happened for some US universities in the days before computers

Anyone could claim to have a degree from them, and no one could prove otherwise ...

Of course youngling need not try this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

pilly wrote: »
    And have you worked full-time and gotten a degree Captain? And paid for it yourself? Just wondering?

Working full time and having a degree is hardly an accomplishment. I didn't pay for mine though because the government pays for it. I paid for my masters though

Working full time and having a degree is hardly an accomplishment. I didn't pay for mine though because the government pays for it. I paid for my masters though

Doing both at the same time is certainly an accomplishment.

Doing both at the same time is certainly an accomplishment.

If you say so. I'd assume someone doing both at the same time either failed or dropped out of college.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭peneau

Wasn't it UCG that had a fire in the records dept many years back ?

Defo happened for some US universities in the days before computers

Anyone could claim to have a degree from them, and no one could prove otherwise ...

Of course youngling need not try this.

Not so in the case of UCG/NUIG, NUI in Merrion Square can verify qualifications of its member institutions of which UCG is one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,481 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

If you say so. I'd assume someone doing both at the same time either failed or dropped out of college.

Or never got the chance to go the first time around.

How naive of you.

I have several degrees/post grads/masters. All bar the initial degree/masters were achieved while working full time. My CV makes this quite clear as I was in the same full time role for 10+ years that started after the initial qualifications while gaining more qualifications in the background.

Its certainly a talking point with recruiters - usually to the tune of "how did you manage to....".

Or never got the chance to go the first time around.

Thank you, some of us didn't have the luxury of spending four years full time in college whilst working a few hours a week and living off Mammy and Daddy.

In my case I was living away from home and working at 17. Gained a degree whilst working full-time at 30.

• Advertisement

Thank you, some of us didn't have the luxury of spending four years full time in college whilst working a few hours a week and living off Mammy and Daddy.

I know plenty who didnt even work a few hours per week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Not Irish, but a good friend took an IT course and failed his most important class because it all was relying on a big team project and shortly after he started 3 team members dropped out and the last one pretended to be dead. He did the project alone, but failed the class because the workload was impossible to handle alone.
    After that he applied at a game development company and makes now more than a graduate would after two years.
    To be fair, he is a decent developer. He's 23.

In my case I was living away from home and working at 17. Gained a degree whilst working full-time at 30.

So you worked full time at 30 and did a part-time college degree and you somehow think this makes you better than someone who was in college full time and worked part time at 17.

I'm sorry I don't think a paid degree is as good as a degree earned by merit, but there's no need to be so defensive about it.

So you worked full time at 30 and did a part-time college degree and you somehow think this makes you better than someone who was in college full time and worked part time at 17.

I'm sorry I don't think a paid degree is as good as a degree earned by merit, but there's no need to be so defensive about it.

I dont understand the distinction you are making between a paid degree and a degree earned by merit? All degrees cost money and all are earned by merit. You can pay and fail.

Do you think that people can just pay money and receive the parchment with no in between bit of studying and passing exams/assignments? Really?

Where does this happen?

Can you tell me which degrees can be bought and for how much because if its possible to buy degrees I might just buy a bunch for the craic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

I did both my degree and my masters at night, while working during the day. I didn't fail or drop out. Neither did the majority of the part timers I studied with. Not everyone has the opportunity to go to University straight from school. And lots of people only discover what they're really good at after they've been working for a few years.
    You've obviously led a rather privileged or sheltered life.

I did both my degree and my masters at night, while working during the day. I didn't fail or drop out. Neither did the majority of the part timers I studied with. Not everyone has the opportunity to go to University straight from school. And lots of people only discover what they're really good at after they've been working for a few years.

And for certain degrees and masters you must have work and life experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

In your case the only difference is that the government paid for it rather than yourself.

Although I suspect you're not really confused and just trying to wind people up here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

Hammer89 wrote: »
    I've been working as a gynaecologist for the last five years. No idea what I'm doing.
    So what do you do all day? Just fanny about trying to look busy?
    Aglomerado wrote: »
    Or getting in a flap? :D

He is only doin that for the craic

Neither sheltered nor privileged. I worked hard in school to get to a good college. I worked hard in college to get a good job. Worked part time from the age of 14, worked through college.
    I guess I just didn't need a couple of years stacking shelves in Dunnes to realise I wanted to do an accountancy degree with a class full of people who got 200 points in their leaving cert

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Graham Norton tells a great story of dropping out of some bullsh1t Arts Degree in UCC after first year.

He put it down that he had finished the course on his CV.

Nobody ever brought it up with him in an interview.

Advertisement