Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cork cod 2016

Options
  • 23-10-2016 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

anybody been out trying for codling yet?

I'm hoping to get out wednesday and try either youghal or monkstown.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭nokiatom

Boat or shore ?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭squidly

nokiatom wrote: »
    Boat or shore ?

I'll be fishing from the shore.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭nokiatom

don't know what the codling are like in Youghal but ive seen pics of one shore angler getting reasonable size coalies there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Yeah, saw photos on facebook of cod in Monkstown. The weather the last few day should have a few moving up.

Thanks lads. I'll let ye know how I get on.

• Advertisement

squidly wrote: »
    Thanks lads. I'll let ye know how I get on.

didn't catch any codling! fished from low tide to high tide, mack and crab bait, caught a few small flats, small whiting, a dogfish and a fairly decent mackeral, on mackeral! good day all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Jim from Cork

There are some cod showing in the outer harbour but they are quite small. I would imagine that the wall would not throw up much. The water temperature has been quite high so hopefully with the next cold spell we might see a better run of fish (Bearing in mind that we didn't get any decent run last year).

The best bait by a mile for the Wall is crab.
    There is further reading about the wall here: http://www.topfisher.eu/throwback-de-wall-at-monkstown-cork-cod-from-the-shore/?preview=true&preview_id=1309&preview_nonce=749cc6cdda&post_format=standard

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭Head Wreck

How would one catch a cod, Just cast out a bit of bait and retrieve slowly? From the beach or pier?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Head Wreck wrote: »
    How would one catch a cod, Just cast out a bit of bait and retrieve slowly? From the beach or pier?

For me it would preferably be off a beach, in a huge surf, 6oz lead, whole peeler crab on a 4/0 hook. Leave it alone till the rod starts dancing

Advertisement