Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tool buying advice - Mitre Saw / Band Saw or both?

Options
  • 23-10-2016 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭

Folks,

Having built my workbench, I'm now getting ready to make some furniture for the house. Desks, tables, a bed and another good bit of stuff for outside. I have done a huge amount of reading/research on powertools over the last few weeks. I need them for domestic/hobby use primarily but I'm of the belief that Id rather spend a few extra quid and get a quality tool that will last me rather than buy something that not fit for the job and end up buying again.
    Having said that I'm trying to make my budget stretch as far as I can as well but am willing to wait to save up more if necessary. I'm lucky enough to (at last) have a fairly good sized workshop/garage so space isn't a huge concern. I was looking at buying a good sliding mitre saw and legs and there is some good value to be had at the moment. I was initally looking at this Bosch professional saw
    http://https://www.raygrahams.com/products/129973-bosch-gcm8sjl-sliding-mitre-saw-gta2600-legstand-gcm-8-sjl.aspx
    I then thought of the 10 inch SD version which brings the price to around 610 euro and then thought I could go for the 12 inch SDE version plus stand for 686 all-in.
    I then watched a clip with this Record entry level Bandsaw https://www.raygrahams.com/products/109219-record-bs250-compact-bandsaw-240v.aspx
    which is around 300 euro. I currently have a budget of around 750 (before I'd have to start justifying/pleading/cajoling).
    For a domestic set-up would you rather have the smaller 8 inch saw and stand plus the Record band-saw (which I can afford now) or do you think I might be better off with a bigger Sliding Mitre saw and save up for another while to get a band saw at a later date?

I also looked at Dewalt mitre saws but not sure I can justify the extra price for the amount of use it would be getting. I have a good Dewalt drill and jigsaw - quality tools for sure but there's a big jump up in price to the DeWalt mitre saws that offer the functions of the Bosch professional ones for that money. Reviews of the Bosch stuff seem to be generally positive. I have a Lidl (i think) table saw that will need to be upgraded at a later date but will do ok for now for rough cutting and maybe with some sort of a sled.

Any advice gratefully accepted from those that already have a combination of those machines or those that have opted for a different set-up.

Thanks

Mark

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

A good miter saw is invaluable - you will find that you make 90% of your cuts on it and complete accuracy is very gratifying. I would go for the 12 " model if possible.It will have a high clearance for vertical miters and at least a 12" crosscut. For a workshop saw think about dust extraction. A vacuum with automatic switching is great ( the vacuum activates with every cut ) One down side is the amount of room a sliding saw will take up. If on a bench it will need to sit out from a wall by 12" or so. There is one Bosch model with a cam the action to avoid this - at a price of course. Lastly all miter saws are made a lot safer by inserting a zero clearance baseplate and some 12mm ply fences. One company (Milwaukee ) offer a digital readout and I have to say its not just a gimmick - I find myself dialling in angles like 11.25 which would be impossible with a standard saw.
    Buying a budget bandsaw ( the Record has all of 0.5 HP ) is always a mistake. It will struggle with anything over 2" and frustrate you no end. As the Yanks say 'buy once and buy right '

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mobfromcork

Thanks for the reply. Some good points there. I have no dust extraction (except for wheeling tools out to a covered area to make cuts if I need to) so might look into that as well. I don't have the money for the gliding Bosch one and I have a fair amount of room so will settle for the sliding one instead. The Milwaukee looks great as well but out of my price-range too I'd say.
    Thanks for the tip about the base-plate.

I nearly bought the 12 inch one yesterday and saw the band saw at the last minute and starting thinking....

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Yelnahs

I bought both from amazon and used Parcel Motel for delivery. All in it cost me about 280 euro for a hobby bandsaw and mitre saw. I don't really have a use for a sliding mitre saw as I have a homemade table saw with a cross cut sled but I would think about getting a sliding one for cutting thicker pieces (assuming you don't have a tables saw!)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00DOYWJZS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004W50CTI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yelnahs wrote: »
    I bought both from amazon and used Parcel Motel for delivery. All in it cost me about 280 euro for a hobby bandsaw and mitre saw. I don't really have a use for a sliding mitre saw as I have a homemade table saw with a cross cut sled but I would think about getting a sliding one for cutting thicker pieces (assuming you don't have a tables saw!)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00DOYWJZS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004W50CTI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yep, the internet is full of Yanks making cross cut sleds because your average table saw over there does not have a sliding table. If you have the room for one they are a great help, even for cutting your standard 2x4.Putting a 60 tooth blade on a miter saw is also well worthwhile for a better finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭baby fish

Yelnahs wrote: »
    I bought both from amazon and used Parcel Motel for delivery.

Whats the story with VAT on tools bought in UK? seems to be some value there at the moment with sterling so low, but are there any hidden cost? is it a case of ....hope I dont get caught?

Im looking at getting a decent compound mitre saw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Who2

The Milwaukee saw is too big for fine work. Great saw but too big and heavy to move as well. The old type makita is a good solid saw that will last years but the tidiest I find are the dewalt saw based on the original elu one. Your restricted on the double compound but handy to move, nice and neat for mitres and under €500.

baby fish wrote: »
    Whats the story with VAT on tools bought in UK? seems to be some value there at the moment with sterling so low, but are there any hidden cost? is it a case of ....hope I dont get caught?

Im looking at getting a decent compound mitre saw

No problem at the moment - UK vat is 21% and tinternet lets you shop around. The trick is to find a reasonable delivery rate over here.
    Who2 wrote: »
    The Milwaukee saw is too big for fine work. Great saw but too big and heavy to move as well. The old type makita is a good solid saw that will last years but the tidiest I find are the dewalt saw based on the original elu one. Your restricted on the double compound but handy to move, nice and neat for mitres and under €500.

I think the OP was really talking about setting up a workshop saw on legs.?
    The double bevel feature looks useful on all saws but in practice I find I rarely use it. The 10mm gap in the baseplate and the cutaway on the left side of all miter saw fences are to allow just that - bevel cuts on the flat. I decided to lose a fraction of the crosscut and put 12mm ply fences on my Milwaukee with a zero clearance fence. Now small cuts can be held without the white knuckle chance of a kickback.
    For a small backyard workshop I think people should also consider one of the saws powered by an induction motor.They are way quieter and last a lifetime - no brushes to wear out. Axminster used to offer a knock off of an Electro Bekum design but I think EB are defunct now ?

recipio wrote: »
    No problem at the moment - UK vat is 21% and tinternet lets you shop around. The trick is to find a reasonable delivery rate over here.

Thanks for reply... I just need to double check this in case Im getting the wrong idea. I'm not registered for VAT here, so is at simple as this: the price I pay, for machine plus delivery costs is the total price I will pay?... i.e. customs here are not going to slap on another few hundred euro that have to be paid in order to get machine?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭dathi

Thanks for reply... I just need to double check t
    . customs here are not going to slap on another few hundred euro that have to be paid in order to get machine?

they havent left the EU yet so no customs on uk purchases;)

Thanks for reply... I just need to double check this in case Im getting the wrong idea. I'm not registered for VAT here, so is at simple as this: the price I pay, for machine plus delivery costs is the total price I will pay?... i.e. customs here are not going to slap on another few hundred euro that have to be paid in order to get machine?

The UK are still in the EU so yes - you have no customs duties to pay. If you could find a 'free UK ' delivery to NI its probably worth paying parcel motel their 14 euro fee for an outsized parcel. Of course you could drive up North yourself. This is assuming you find a bargain and with the current exchange rates that's not going to be difficult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Yelnahs

I'm not VAT registered either, the price you pay is the price you pay. The trick with amazon is to try and get items that have "free UK shipping", send it to parcel motel up north and it then gets forwarded to your local depot. My planer was too big for my local depot so I had to drive out by the airport to pick it up but still saved a fortune on deliver cost

Thanks all , time to find a nice saw... thinking a makita or a dw 777 or a 778....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

You will find that Amazon changes the VAT to ROI rate if the item is being shipped directly to ROI. The difference is +3%. They only do this after you select the item and shipment method, don't worry you can still cancel at this point. Customs won't add anything extra as items are being shipped from within the EU, for now.

Some info HERE

You also generally get a better exchange rate if you choose 'pay in sterling'.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mobfromcork

I ended up ordering the 12 inch bosch from ray Graham in the north. They have free shipping to the ROI for anything over 49 euro. Easy to deal with and they are vat registered for trades people in the south (I think - read this in another forum). Axminster were the cheapest for the saw online but postage was around 40 euro.
    I find an post's address-pal really good for any item under 20kg. Only 3.50euro and you collect it from your local post office.
    Saw is great so far. Only have done a few test cuts, trenches etc.

You also generally get a better exchange rate if you choose 'pay in sterling'.
    what would expect to save if check out in sterling?
    So a saw priced 559.79 sterling is 645.36 euro when paying through euro on Amazon

using xe currency convertor, If I covert the 559.71 it shows 621, i presume there will be a few fees too, would it be fair to say save a further 10 to 20 euro by checking out in sterling?
    I ended up ordering the 12 inch bosch from ray Graham in the north. They have free shipping to the ROI for anything over 49 euro.

Thanks for this info, few good options for sale there alright

Advertisement