Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First poker game tomorrow

Options
  • 23-10-2016 11:22pm
    Site Banned Posts: 391 ✭✭

I'm getting into poker myself. One thing that seems strange to me about it, is that I hear a lot of different opinions about commonly desired hands such as:

[Q K] [A Q] [K 9] [10 10] [Q J] [A Q]

I mean if everything is taken into account, it shouldn't be possible to have opinions about which hands are better? I looked at a few videos and things, and couldn't get a straight answer as to which are better. Obviously something like [A K] would be better than say [K Q], but what if you were comparing [J J] to [K Q]? It's a little harder to think about. Would you be mad to try and work out the odds for yourself of each hand our for yourself, and then memorise them?

Another thing, is that suited hands are often talked about as if they're a better advantage? I get that, but it must really be marginally so, considering the remote outcome of getting a flush. I don't know if it's even worth considering for beginner players?

Anyway, I'm heading to a college poker club tomorrow night for their weekly meetup. They're having a so called "€12 buy in league". Wondering how many chips that'd give me. I wouldn't want the game to over for me really quickly!

I have to say It doesn't seem like too great a game - maybe that's why it's more popular in the U.S! Made me think that if scrabble was a gambling game, it'd be far more addictive!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭DubCount

OP - I hope you enjoyed your first game. In some ways my reply is a bit late for you, but hopefully this will help for you next game.....

The reason there are differences between what is considered a "good" hand, is it depends what your opponents are like and your position is relative to your opponents. You can work out the probable chances of one particular hand winning again another particular hand (or range of hands) and there are phone Apps (such as poker cruncher) that will do the maths for you. So KQ is pretty level against JJ, but is well behind AK or well ahead of KJ. After a while you get used to figuring out how your hand rates against an opponent.

Suited hands rate about 2-3% better than their unsuited hands.

Generally, at the start, you will have lots of chips relative to the size of the blinds. Later on, the blinds increase and you need to become less selective about what hands you play.

Good luck - it takes a while to get into the game, but it does get better !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 bottleofrum

Ive been trying to get into poker as well. i play sometimes with my friends but never a league. i have a friend who
    Anyway, I'm heading to a college poker club tomorrow night for their weekly meetup. They're having a so called " 12 buy in league". Wondering how many chips that'd give me. I wouldn't want the game to over for me really quickly!
    it sounds like you are playing a tournament? so cash games which i usually play with my friends you can keep buying chips whenever you lose your stack. in tournaments, sometimes they let you buy back a stack when you bust out but other times you only get one and done.

Advertisement