Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow Speed Motor

Options
  • 23-10-2016 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭

Anyone know where I'd get a very slow speed motor? Looking for something that would run 8 metres per minute.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Motor from a treadmill.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

kadman wrote: »
    Motor from a treadmill.

Was thinking that last night after posting

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

RS do a range of geared motors. Maplin have some options too. All depends on what you're driving and the power requirements really.

You won't find anything specified in metres per minute though, you need to work out what that relates to in rpm, and match that to a motor or motor gearbox combo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Musketeer4

Simple induction motor with a compound epicyclic gearbox

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭timfromtang

woodturner wrote: »
    Anyone know where I'd get a very slow speed motor? Looking for something that would run 8 metres per minute.
    I'd say a drive motor off of a conveyor may suit. the usuall have geared reduction drives, most are three phase, but you should be able to fine a single phase motor, or indeed use a digital phase convertor with a three phase model.
    tim

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

The motor that operates the infeed belt on my Jet Drum sander burnt out and I was looking for something to replace it. I put it up for sale on Adverts last night but I know I'll regret selling it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Cheap treadmill would be 70-100 euro. And the motors go down to

conveyor belt speed of 5 mph. And thats slow.

Think twice about selling it, until you do the research on the motor.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

The specs of the motor would usually be printed on an attached plate. If you can open the machine and post back those details someone might be able to point you at a suitable replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

Bit late to thread, but a car winch seems like it would suit (the bolt on the bumper kind).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Musketeer4

^ which would be 12v.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

Musketeer4 wrote: »
    ^ which would be 12v.

Might be an advantage. No messing with phases/inverters/soft starts/starting capacitors etc.

Depends on the application I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Windscreen wiper motor?
    Slow running and torque, twin speed too

Advertisement