Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anti-speeding adverts - effective?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Quit trying to peddle bullsh1t Sir

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Jesus. wrote: »
    Quit trying to peddle bullsh1t Sir

Listen, if you have a point to make then make it. If you want to discuss something in particular then make a point and I'll contribute if I have something to say. If you have nothing but one line nonsense posts then might I suggest you try Twitter. You might find someone who will want to listen to you there and you won't have to worry about putting too many words together at the one time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

waste of money.
    as are those digital signs saying slow down. 22g a piece
    people did driving lessons and a test. they know the rules
    I presume you mean those ones on the motorways, if so, agree with you. However those ones that flash up your speed as you enter 50 kph zones are quite effective. I find myself and many in front of me seem to take notice of them. Rather than the usual big stick of a fine in the post they are a gentle but very persuasive reminder to slow down entering built up areas. It would be well worth having them in all towns and villages.

On the other hand those speed vans seem to be having detrimental effects on some peoples driving. Law of unintended consequences I guess. My observation is that so many poor drivers are so affeared of getting caught (as if) they are dawdling along secondary roads at 30 kph or more below the set limit regardless of road conditions oblivious to the now inevitable tailbacks they are causing. Frustration and impatience ensues and then the dangerous and often near suicidal overtaking. I'm seeing way too much of this in the last few months in camera zones.
    Irony is same dawdling drivers tend to speed up going through towns and villages

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Totofan99 wrote: »
    "You must not break the speed limit, even when overtaking."

Page 54 here: http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/Rules_of_the_road.pdf

happens to me numerous times - I stick to speed limit, some berk behind me decides he dont want to stick to the speed limit and passes at greater speed / over speed limit - I never see these berks ever getting caught though, maybe if it was a given that every time they did it they got caught as a guarantee i bet they wouldnt do it much longer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

happens to me numerous times - I stick to speed limit, some berk behind me decides he dont want to stick to the speed limit and passes at greater speed / over speed limit - I never see these berks ever getting caught though, maybe if it was a given that every time they did it they got caught as a guarantee i bet they wouldnt do it much longer

You do know that most cars overestimate the speed that they are doing on the speedo, some by as much as 10kph. I had an Xtrail that would read 100kph on the speedo but its real speed was just a tad over 90 according to the satnav.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭Heckler

I would drive the south link in Cork towards the Jack Lynch tunnel and the Dunkettle Roundabout everyday. The usual speeders around around 7-8 but nothing too bad.

Started an earlier shift recently and the amount of speeding in the earlier hours is incredible. Between 6 and 7 in the morning while the roads are (relatively speaking) quiet (still a fair bit of traffic) the amount of cars passing me at what must be in excess of 130-140kmh is crazy.

This is a 100kmh zone and I travel at that plus the odd 5kmph.

The lane skipping at speed on a continuous white line in the tunnel itself is just dangerous.

I would love to be a guard in an unmarked car with a speed camera and just spend my days driving up and down the link and tunnel and busting dangerous drivers.

And yes, there does tend to be a higher percentage of certain car type owners with cars of a certain value who do this more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Heckler wrote: »
    I would drive the south link in Cork towards the Jack Lynch tunnel and the Dunkettle Roundabout everyday. The usual speeders around around 7-8 but nothing too bad.

Started an earlier shift recently and the amount of speeding in the earlier hours is incredible. Between 6 and 7 in the morning while the roads are (relatively speaking) quiet (still a fair bit of traffic) the amount of cars passing me at what must be in excess of 130-140kmh is crazy.

This is a 100kmh zone and I travel at that plus the odd 5kmph.

The lane skipping at speed on a continuous white line in the tunnel itself is just dangerous.

I would love to be a guard in an unmarked car with a speed camera and just spend my days driving up and down the link and tunnel and busting dangerous drivers.

And yes, there does tend to be a higher percentage of certain car type owners with cars of a certain value who do this more.

Have you ever written to the local station and asked them to address the issue or to the council? There's a serious amount of complaining in this thread but not many people do anything about it. If you notify your local Garda Superintendent about an issue he will often address it. Same goes for councils and the RSA.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I do think though eventually if people dont sit up and listen and take notice of these ads and information then eventually the government will take things into their own hands (if they havent already in places where there are problems with speeding) and start introducing even more draconian measures to 'force' people to slow down thus re-enforcing the 'nanny state'

Making roads narrower, speed humps (sleeping policeman) , chicanes, roundabouts, traffic signals all that jazz to force people to drive slower have already been introduced to make people drive slower and i just think if people continue to drive over the speed limits even more things like this will be introduced by local and national authorities
    Unless they have some way of enforcing the speed limit all those things will just become obstacles to speed around. If you want to stop people speeding through a town you need a fixed speed camera. There are parts of the UK where you just don't speed because you will get caught. If everyone if forced into the same behaviour I think it's actually easier to live with the reduced speed. But actually getting caught is the only thing that will stop people speeding. In my area now everyone knows where the speed van pulls in and just slows down for that bit. The camera works, at the moment it just works at designated places.
    hadepsx wrote: »
    What I unintentionally got from the Irish ad is that the family didn't bother to look before stepping out onto the pedestrian crossing.
    When I see a car trying to pull out from a junction I'll often try to make eye contact, until that happens I work under the assumption they don't see me and could pull out in front of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

You do know that most cars overestimate the speed that they are doing on the speedo, some by as much as 10kph. I had an Xtrail that would read 100kph on the speedo but its real speed was just a tad over 90 according to the satnav.

no, i didnt know - why arent speedometers calibrated and give correct figure, otherwise the speed figure, should some case get to court, could be incorrect and the whole case could pivot on it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

no, i didnt know - why arent speedometers calibrated and give correct figure, otherwise the speed figure, should some case get to court, could be incorrect and the whole case could pivot on it

Some are worse than others for overestimating speed. I'd imagine that you would only have a case in court if your car was underestimating speed. I think manufactures do it to give drivers a slight buffer, ie if they were slightly over the speed limit according to the speedo they would in reality be slightly under it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭Heckler

Have you ever written to the local station and asked them to address the issue or to the council? There's a serious amount of complaining in this thread but not many people do anything about it. If you notify your local Garda Superintendent about an issue he will often address it. Same goes for councils and the RSA.

True I never have and probably should. I also drive a lot on a sunday morning from the Dunkettle roundabout along the road to Dublin. Its even worse then.

It would be like shooting fish in a barrel if they had an unmarked car around. And I don't buy the sunday morning no cars around excuse. Doing, at my guesstimate, 160 in a 120 zone is taking the piss.

In a year and a half of traveling the routes of this and my earlier post I've seen one garda car with a camera and one gatso van.

The garda car was parked over the crest of a hill to catch people coming from a 50 to a 30 zone.

Advertisement