Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby Car Seat - Top Anchor Tether

Options
  • 24-10-2016 9:15am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭

potentially the wrong thread, I bought a car seat for our son...Maxi Cosi Milofix.
    http://www.maxi-cosi.com/ie-en/car-seats/milofix.aspx
    Didn't really do my research well enough... I thought the Isofix was all that was required which our car has. Apparently there is an additional safety feature with a top tether anchor which should have an anchor point in the boot or the back of the seat for the chair to attach to which unfortunately I can't see that our car has. Does this render the seat completely unusable? Has anyone encountered the same or got any fix for this or suggestions? thanks...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

potentially the wrong thread, I bought a car seat for our son...Maxi Cosi Milofix.
    http://www.maxi-cosi.com/ie-en/car-seats/milofix.aspx
    Didn't really do my research well enough... I thought the Isofix was all that was required which our car has. Apparently there is an additional safety feature with a top tether anchor which should have an anchor point in the boot or the back of the seat for the chair to attach to which unfortunately I can't see that our car has. Does this render the seat completely unusable? Has anyone encountered the same or got any fix for this or suggestions? thanks...

Does ur car definitely not have a top tether anchor point? Have u checked your cars manual? Many many cars manufactured in the last few years have this anchor point... Sometimes it's just not that obvious to the eye.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Does ur car definitely not have a top tether anchor point? Have u checked your cars manual? Many many cars manufactured in the last few years have this anchor point... Sometimes it's just not that obvious to the eye.

Hi, yes, went through the car manual and had a good search all over the car for it. Its an audi a4 2009 with ISOFIX so it's not too old so we were quite surprised. Nothing in the manual refers to an anchor point unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Ok there's a couple things you can do... Ring an Audi garage and ask them is a top tether standard in a 2009 a4 and they can direct towards it. Post on the motors forum here and ask... They are pretty knowledgeable.

However, by the sounds of it you don't have one.... you can potentially get an anchor point fitted.

You could also ring incarsafety in Belfast and they should be able to tell you immediately if the seat you have bought will be able to be used in your model of car (they are experts and can advise).

Lastly, where did you buy the seat? The shop doesn't sound great considering they didn't mention about the top tether and let you purchase a seat that doesn't even fit your car! I'd bring it back and get one (from a different shop) that fits your car.

Hope u get sorted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

thanks very much for all that.

I bought it used so very much my own fault. I just saw the mention of ISOFIX and thought it was compatible no matter what. I will check all those options and recommendations out, thanks very much again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The compatibility guide on the Maxi-cosi lists a 2009 A4 as incompatible. However I checked my own car, which does have the tether, and it lists that seat as incompatible also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

thanks very much for all that.

I bought it used so very much my own fault. I just saw the mention of ISOFIX and thought it was compatible no matter what. I will check all those options and recommendations out, thanks very much again.

I don't want to add to your woes but second hand carseats aren't really recommended unless you knew the previous owner in case they had been in a previous accident and could have a crack or fracture in the plastic.

Advertisement