Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building an extension. No experience ðŸ˜

Options
  • 24-10-2016 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi everyone

Badly need some advice. We are getting an extension built and our budget is €73k. We want bi fold doors in alu clad and my boyfriend wants a zinc roof. My boyfriend seems to think the builder has free reign to do whatever else as long as we tell him what's needed. The extension is for a kitchen on one wall and a bathroom the other side. He told the builder the bi fold doors and zinc roof are a must (the roof I don't agree with as I've heard it's very noisy).
    So with the rest like baths,hob,oven down to taps we pick or my boyfriend seems to think the builder picks as I only found out he told him behind my back to choose basic stuff for the rest in including a kitchen! Am fit to explode with stress!!

Surely we keep track of all this ourselves? So by that reasoning the builder could pay €300 for a tap and €100 for an oven?!
    I've had a look at Harvey Norman and Argos and a few places and within two hours I've seen all that's needed. We are total amateurs to this so we just don't know what the normal way of doing this is.
    Tempers are rising and it hasn't even started!!

Thank you

Any input will be greatly appreciated

Cheers
    D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Chisler2

Hi everyone

Badly need some advice. We are getting an extension built and our budget is €73k. We want bi fold doors in alu clad and my boyfriend wants a zinc roof. My boyfriend seems to think the builder has free reign to do whatever else as long as we tell him what's needed. The extension is for a kitchen on one wall and a bathroom the other side. He told the builder the bi fold doors and zinc roof are a must (the roof I don't agree with as I've heard it's very noisy).
    So with the rest like baths,hob,oven down to taps we pick or my boyfriend seems to think the builder picks as I only found out he told him behind my back to choose basic stuff for the rest in including a kitchen! Am fit to explode with stress!!

Surely we keep track of all this ourselves? So by that reasoning the builder could pay €300 for a tap and €100 for an oven?!
    I've had a look at Harvey Norman and Argos and a few places and within two hours I've seen all that's needed. We are total amateurs to this so we just don't know what the normal way of doing this is.
    Tempers are rising and it hasn't even started!!

Thank you

Any input will be greatly appreciated

Cheers
    D

What size (length, width, height) is your proposed extension? Presumably ye are joint owners (on the deeds or mortgage) of the property? Before getting caught up with detail such as fittings or window-types you need to establish if your proposed extension requires planning permission. As you have no experience or knowledge of what modern construction involves the services of a professional to manage the project would be advisable. Your hunch is correct that a scatter-gun approach is risky. Most importantly............and before anything else...........you need to sit down quietly and discuss with your boyfriend what you are (I assume jointly, financially?) getting yourselves involved with, and agree what you both want in the completed extension. Wishing you success with it.

Ignore! I have just found your duplicate post.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement