Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fluoride, Makes us Docile and Passive? Thoughts??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭weisses

jh79 wrote: »
    Look what I found via your link

http://www.who.int/oral_health/publications/prevention-dental-caries-through-use-fluoride/en/

Can yu explain where WHO has gone wrong?

You have to ask Cochrane that question

Did they include the WHO stance ..I honestly don't know

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭jh79

weisses wrote: »
    You have to ask Cochrane that question

Did they include the WHO stance ..I honestly don't know

Can you explain the bias that meant Cochrane felt it had to reject certain studies and how that bias doesn't apply to your data?

Can you explain the bias that meant Cochrane felt it had to reject certain studies and how that bias doesn't apply to your data?

I think we need to distinguish between statistical data and studies.

I don't know what studies they rejected ...What I do think to know is that they did not reject statistics ... just because they are statistics

I think we need to distinguish between statistical data and studies.

I don't know what studies they rejected ...What I do think to know is that they did not reject statistics ... just because they are statistics

The studies on are based on the same stats i don't know how you have decided there is a difference.

For the NI v Ireland study that data comes from a dentist so where is the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,236 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Sorry but 97% of Europe doesn't fluoridate their water ... fact ...those 10 countries I mentioned don't fluoridate anything
    Yes, but as you have admitted, you don't know how much other methods of fluoridation effect your statistics. So you cannot use all of those countries to support your conclusion.
    Pretending that you can is simply dishonest.
    I did account for that factor
    How? Please be specific. How can you have accounted for this when you have admitted that you don't know how big the effect is?
    Nope ... I mentioned a few
    You mention one. You do not mention anything else. Here is the post your linked. I'm not sure why you are trying to lie about this.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=101640385&postcount=276
    Use of fluoride tooth paste, Fluoridated salt, milk

I think they count for some influence on both sides of the argument

Fluoridated salt on the mainland vs fluoride toothpaste use in Ireland for example

There are however many European countries that don't use the fluoridated salt and milk an there the statistics show a sharp decline in fillings as well

So yes I think you can safely say Water fluoridation is not effective ( again Cochrane had issues with the effectiveness as well)

It all comes together
    So again. What other factors would influence your statistics?
    Nope ... I dont know if they used that data just as much as you they didn't use it

Cochrane has access to all figures ... what they did with them I could not tell
    So they have access to the same figures you have and they must have at least the same level of expertise in analysing data as you.
    So therefore they must reach the same conclusion you do.

Again, why do you think they did not mention this at all? Do you think that they are hiding this conclusion cause they are part of a conspiracy? Do you think that you are just simply smarter than then and are better at statistics and data analysis than trained scientists and statisticians?
    Or could it be that your claims might be wrong?
    You could use simple statistics to reach a conclusion yes ....

You could use simple statistics to claim road safety in Ireland is worse then other countries ... You need research to find out why that is the case

I don't know .... post them and we will see
    Why do you need research? You said that simple statistics is enough to reach a conclusion.
    Why do some statistics need research before you can reach a conclusion and others don't?

You are contradicting yourself as well as avoiding the very simple yes or no question I asked.
    This shows exactly how consistent and honest your logic is.

• Advertisement

King Mob wrote: »
    Yes, but as you have admitted, you don't know how much other methods of fluoridation effect your statistics. So you cannot use all of those countries to support your conclusion.
    Pretending that you can is simply dishonest.

Admitting ... being dishonest ... here you go again

All the things You have issues with I already mentioned myself ... Even the stats I am referring to all the time have all the data in regards to salt and milk fluoridation in percentages.

What about this can you not grasp ?
    How? Please be specific. How can you have accounted for this when you have admitted that you don't know how big the effect is?

How can I admit to something that I brought in myself in the first place .... Or do you use it for dramatic effect ?

I suggest you look up what I meant by factoring it in .... Its only a few posts back ... And NO its not about evading but I am not in the habit of spoonfeeding all the time
    You mention one. You do not mention anything else. Here is the post your linked. I'm not sure why you are trying to lie about this.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=101640385&postcount=276

So again. What other factors would influence your statistics?

I see 3 in the part in bold

Accusing me of lying goes a bit far don't you think ?

You could also post factors that you think influence the statistics ... Its kinda how a discussion works
    So they have access to the same figures you have and they must have at least the same level of expertise in analysing data as you.
    So therefore they must reach the same conclusion you do.

Again, why do you think they did not mention this at all? Do you think that they are hiding this conclusion cause they are part of a conspiracy? Do you think that you are just simply smarter than then and are better at statistics and data analysis than trained scientists and statisticians?
    Or could it be that your claims might be wrong?

Seeing as they could not find any research in regards to effectiveness that reached their standard ...I don't think we disagree much

And what claims of me are wrong exactly ?
    Why do you need research? You said that simple statistics is enough to reach a conclusion.
    Why do some statistics need research before you can reach a conclusion and others don't?.

You can reach a conclusion from statistics ... claiming otherwise is just ridiculous
    You are contradicting yourself as well as avoiding the very simple yes or no question I asked.
    This shows exactly how consistent and honest your logic is.

I am here to discuss not being subjected to a third degree hearing

Now are you gonna post these statistics so I can honestly answer your yes/ no question

How logical would it be to form an opinion on statistics I havent seen ?:o

The studies on are based on the same stats i don't know how you have decided there is a difference.

For the NI v Ireland study that data comes from a dentist so where is the difference?

Can we agree there is a difference between A: statistics and B: conclusions drawn from researching statistics ?

Admitting ... being dishonest ... here you go again

All the things You have issues with I already mentioned myself ... Even the stats I am referring to all the time have all the data in regards to salt and milk fluoridation in percentages.

What about this can you not grasp ?
    But again, and please actually read and try to understand this part:
    You do not know how big the effect is.
    Claiming that these figures support your conclusion when you cannot exclude this factor is plain dishonest.
    How can I admit to something that I brought in myself in the first place .... Or do you use it for dramatic effect ?

I suggest you look up what I meant by factoring it in .... Its only a few posts back ... And NO its not about evading but I am not in the habit of spoonfeeding all the time
    You have not explained this at all. I have been asking you to outline exactly this for several pages but you continue to be evasive.

Please explain in detail how you are sure that the above factor does not effect your conclusion.
    Please explain it to me like I am stupid.
    I see 3 in the part in bold
    Pedantics to evade the question.:rolleyes:
    Is there any other factors? Yes or No?
    You could also post factors that you think influence the statistics ... Its kinda how a discussion works
    I have done so several times. jh79 posted a big long list. You ignored them
    What was that about spoon feeding and re-reading things?

But here you go. Here's a tight concise list.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=101575468&postcount=203
    Seeing as they could not find any research in regards to effectiveness that reached their standard ...I don't think we disagree much
    Again, evading simple questions.
    You are saying that the evidence is clear and obvious. They make no mention of it at all.
    If they saw your evidence, they would have surely stated "fluoridation is ineffective"
    But they don't.
    Which part of this are you disagreeing with?
    And what claims of me are wrong exactly ?
    I've been very clear on this.
    1. That statistics alone without excluding confounding factors are enough to reach scientific conclusions.
    2. That water fluoridation has been proven to be ineffective.
    You can reach a conclusion from statistics ... claiming otherwise is just ridiculous

Now are you gonna post these statistics so I can honestly answer your yes/ no question

How logical would it be to form an opinion on statistics I havent seen ?:o
    Again, you say that statistics are enough to reach a conclusion. But then that some statistics might not be enough to reach a conclusion.
    If this isn't the case, why do you need to see the statistics first?

This is you being evasive. You don't want to pin yourself down to what you know is a ridiculous stance in case you have to wiggle out of it later. And you don't want to explain why the stance is ridiculous because then it would expose how flawed your above claim is.

Can we agree there is a difference between A: statistics and B: conclusions drawn from researching statistics ?

Yes , my issue isn't with the data it's your conclusions on the data .

But again, and please actually read and try to understand this part:
    You do not know how big the effect is.
    Claiming that these figures support your conclusion when you cannot exclude this factor is plain dishonest.

Correct ... I never claimed I did .. I gave my opinion based on the statistics

You have not explained this at all. I have been asking you to outline exactly this for several pages but you continue to be evasive.

Please explain in detail how you are sure that the above factor does not effect your conclusion.
    Please explain it to me like I am stupid.

You got it wrong from the start so that is why you are probably confused

If you say
    Ok, so we have a factor that would influence your statistics. You have not excluded how it might influence your statistics. And you don't know by how much it would effect your statistics.

The statistics are showing DMFT and what fluoridation options are available
    Ok, we've addressed that one. Are you claiming that it is the only factor that could influence your statistics?

I never claimed anything of the sorts

Plus If you look back on this particular subject I noticed you are constantly moving the goalposts ...

I said I used my own judgement in regards to these factors ... You might not like it but I never claimed otherwise
    Pedantics to evade the question.:rolleyes:
    Is there any other factors? Yes or No?

I have done so several times. jh79 posted a big long list. You ignored them
    What was that about spoon feeding and re-reading things?

But here you go. Here's a tight concise list.

You havent done anything bar thanking his post ... I missed that one

Have read them now and many of the points he raised are reflected in the statistics I am reffering to ... Which you should know if you actually examined them
    Again, evading simple questions.
    You are saying that the evidence is clear and obvious. They make no mention of it at all.

Okay just to be clear here .. where did I state that the evidence is clear and obvious ? ... quote me on it so I can see the context

I've been very clear on this.
    1. That statistics alone without excluding confounding factors are enough to reach scientific conclusions.
    2. That water fluoridation has been proven to be ineffective.

1: You CAN reach a simple conclusion from statistics .... As I said numerous times ... statistics show 97% of Europe don't fluoridate their water .. that figure can be used without inclusion of confounding factors

2:It has not been proven to be effective .... Using statistics in regards to Europe I conclude it is not effective ... (something you can disagree with)

This is you being evasive. You don't want to pin yourself down to what you know is a ridiculous stance in case you have to wiggle out of it later. And you don't want to explain why the stance is ridiculous because then it would expose how flawed your above claim is.

I just repeat my last post:

How logical would it be to form an opinion on statistics I havent seen ?

Don't you think its evasive to wave with figures and not post them despite several requests for it ?

• Advertisement

Yes , my issue isn't with the data it's your conclusions on the data .

In regards to NI .. I did not conclude anything other then the study is 16 years old ... I dont know if it was included in the Cochrane review .. etc

In regards to NI .. I did not conclude anything other then the study is 16 years old ... I dont know if it was included in the Cochrane review .. etc

https://www.stephenhancocks.com/view.php?article_id=959&journal_id=119

Here is a link to the study. You probably don't need the full pdf to answer the questions. Enough info is in the description.

You need to explain how this study using the same raw data but with better controls came to a different conclusion than you?

Because Cochrane didn't accept it isn't an answer as they wouldn't accept yours either. And the comparison is between your data and this.

They observed a lower level of cariers in Ireland.

Are you saying there are not a lower level of cariers in Ireland v N Ireland?..so are you saying this is a fraudulent study?

The statical controls they used had the opposite effect and actually increased bias ? If this is your theory how did it go wrong? Should we reject all studies using these methods.

Is the study design wrong? If so how.

What are the implications for you assertion that the assesment of public health issues do not require studies to control for bias to reach a conclusion?

Could you answer each of the above individually please?

Wow the level of pedentary is getting intense...
    Correct ... I never claimed I did .. I gave my opinion based on the statistics
    So then is it possible then that in those countries without it the effect of Water fluoridation is replaced by other sources of fluoridation.
    Yes or no?
    You got it wrong from the start so that is why you are probably confused

If you say

The statistics are showing DMFT and what fluoridation options are available
    Again, stop being evasive and explain it if this is the case.
    I never claimed anything of the sorts
    Ok, what other factors are there?
    Plus If you look back on this particular subject I noticed you are constantly moving the goalposts ...
    Ok, where am I moving the goalposts?
    I said I used my own judgement in regards to these factors ... You might not like it but I never claimed otherwise
    And here is the core of the problem
    Your personal judgement isn't worth anything to anyone.

You are not a scientist or a statistician. You have no idea how either the science or how statistics work.

You with your layman's knowledge, and clear biases are simply unable to dismiss possible factors simply because you decide they aren't important.

You know how ridiculous this is, hence your evasiveness.
    You havent done anything bar thanking his post ... I missed that one
    Lol, what does this even mean?
    Have read them now and many of the points he raised are reflected in the statistics I am reffering to ... Which you should know if you actually examined them
    How are they reflected in the statistics? Be specific.
    Okay just to be clear here .. where did I state that the evidence is clear and obvious ? ... quote me on it so I can see the context
    Lol more pedantry and evasiveness to avoid the question.
    Are you saying now that the evidence is not clear or obvious?
    Are you saying that the scientists and statisticians working in this field studying this exact topic were not able to come to the same conclusion you did?

You already agree that they had the evidence and saw it and you have been arguing that the conclusion is obvious. You are arguing it implicitly because you say you can reach this conclusion despite your complete lack of expertise and education in the field.

So yea, if you are not saying that the evidence is clear and obvious, stop evasive and explain what you are saying.
    1: You CAN reach a simple conclusion from statistics .... As I said numerous times ... statistics show 97% of Europe don't fluoridate their water .. that figure can be used without inclusion of confounding factors
    You have not explained why you don't have to include these. You argue that these kinds of factors must be included to reach conclusions when the situation suits you.
    2:It has not been proven to be effective .... Using statistics in regards to Europe I conclude it is not effective ... (something you can disagree with)
    You are saying that the statistics prove that it's not effective.

If you are now going to move your goalposts and declare "you're just stating your opinion".
    Then yea, your opinion is not worth spit.
    I just repeat my last post:

How logical would it be to form an opinion on statistics I havent seen ?
    How logical would it be for me to waste my time and dig up these stats and be hounded for excruciating detail when you won't even commit to your own ridiculous logic?

If I did dig these out, you wouldn't accept them. And even then you'd start arguing how there's a bunch of confounding factors involved.
    Don't you think its evasive to wave with figures and not post them despite several requests for it ?
    Where did I say I had the numbers?

How logical would it be for me to waste my time and dig up these stats and be hounded for excruciating detail

Who is being hounded here for excruciating detail ? Ill exclude 1 person ... you

Here are the stats ... again

You compare and decide where I displayed weaseling, dishonesty, pedantics, evasiveness ... etc

http://fluoridealert.org/studies/caries01/

For the rest of your last post ... There is so much misrepresentation in that,.. I just give up replying/ repeating myself

https://www.stephenhancocks.com/view.php?article_id=959&journal_id=119

Here is a link to the study. You probably don't need the full pdf to answer the questions. Enough info is in the description.

You need to explain how this study using the same raw data but with better controls came to a different conclusion than you?

Because Cochrane didn't accept it isn't an answer as they wouldn't accept yours either. And the comparison is between your data and this.

They observed a lower level of cariers in Ireland.

Are you saying there are not a lower level of cariers in Ireland v N Ireland?..so are you saying this is a fraudulent study?

The statical controls they used had the opposite effect and actually increased bias ? If this is your theory how did it go wrong? Should we reject all studies using these methods.

Is the study design wrong? If so how.

What are the implications for you assertion that the assesment of public health issues do not require studies to control for bias to reach a conclusion?

Could you answer each of the above individually please?

I dont know if the study design is wrong ... But this study targets Children, and I think we are not in disagreement in regards to that

One point though is that Cochrane concluded
    There is insufficient information to determine whether initiation of a water fluoridation programme results in a change in disparities in caries across socioeconomic status (SES) levels.

While Hancock claims
    Socio economic factors are important variables to take into account whencomparing caries levels amongst different communities

Who is being hounded here for excruciating detail ? Ill exclude 1 person ... you

Here are the stats ... again

You compare and decide where I displayed weaseling, dishonesty, pedantics, evasiveness ... etc

http://fluoridealert.org/studies/caries01/

For the rest of your last post ... There is so much misrepresentation in that,.. I just give up replying/ repeating myself
    No where in that or in the statistics do they address any of the factors that could possibly confound them. You have been lying.

Please refer back to this list i posted
    And show how those raw statistics deal with those speficically.

You wouldn't have to worry about being accused of evasiveness and misrepresentation and having to repeat yourself if you stop trying to dodge our points and dealt with them directly and honestly.

No where in that or in the statistics do they address any of the factors that could possibly confound them. You have been lying.

Please refer back to this list i posted
    And show how those raw statistics deal with those speficically.

You wouldn't have to worry about being accused of evasiveness and misrepresentation and having to repeat yourself if you stop trying to dodge our points and dealt with them directly and honestly.

At least half of his points are in the statistics

Milk/salt usage is in the statistics

Differentiation between adults and children is in there

Time frame is in there

That is just at first glance

Added that with the points I brought up myself, where exactly was I lying ?

Milk/salt usage is in the statistics
    Milk is not included in the statistics, only salt. Nor is fluoridated toothpaste.
    It does not state whether or not the number of people who do us fluoridated salt and products have been removed from the total number.

Are they still included, yes or no? Or do you not know?

What about the people in countries who have partial natural fluoridation in some countries? No mention there.
    Differentiation between adults and children is in there
    It states that it is in 12 year olds only.
    You have agreed that water fluoridation is effective in children.

Are these statistics wrong? Are you now changing your answer and stating that it is not effective in children and that Cochrane is wrong?
    Time frame is in there
    Ok, yes this is true.
    It does not however address the point following that:
    Wouldn't rate of change be more appropriate to account for differing DMFT at t=0
    That is just at first glance
    There are still a bunch more factors that aren't accounted for at all.

For example it does not account for the differing diets of people between countries and how said diets change over time.
    It does not account for the differing policies in dental health between countries or how they have changed over time.
    It does not account for the cost and availability of dental care in different countries and how that changes over time.

You have said that these factors either have been addressed in those figures or they don't matter cause you just say so.
    Hence, you have been lying.

I dont know if the study design is wrong ... But this study targets Children, and I think we are not in disagreement in regards to that

One point though is that Cochrane concluded

While Hancock claims

So you accept that the NI suggests fluoridation is still effective in children? Notice i say suggests not prove and i hope you would agree that this suggestion carries more wieight than your data because of the controls? If not you need to say where the controls and study design went wrong.

Please don't take this as a dig but you have said that english isn't your first language and i think this has led to you misunderstanding what Cochrane's says.

He says that there is not enough evidence that fluoridation works better in poorer areas. This does not mean studies no longer need to correct for socio economic factors

Studies correcting for social economic factors do it to reduce bias. Different diets, access to health care etc all do have an influence on DMFT.

The studies Cochrane rejected purposely introduce this bias to see if there is more of an effect in one type of community over the other.

Basically two completely unrelated things.

I didn't know where this data came from but now i know i'm shocked. This is just bizarre but quite funny.

The data is on 12 yr old children and in the time frame that the Cochrane review covers!

DMFT reduced in areas without fluoridation at the same time that studies proved without doubt (95% CI) that the DMFT reduces by 25% or so with fluoridation.

The timeframe involved disproves your own conclusions and shows that simple stats are not to be trusted.

Cochrane's says the following about confounders

"We found all studies to be at high risk of bias for confounding. We considered confoundng factors for this outcome to be sugar consumption/dietary habits, SES, ethnicity and the use of other fluoride sources. We would have judged studies to be at low risk of confounding bias only if they had successfully controlled for all factors"

All studies are at risk so what controls did you use?

• Advertisement

Milk is not included in the statistics, only salt. Nor is fluoridated toothpaste.
    It does not state whether or not the number of people who do us fluoridated salt and products have been removed from the total number.

Are they still included, yes or no? Or do you not know?

What about the people in countries who have partial natural fluoridation in some countries? No mention there.

It states that it is in 12 year olds only.
    You have agreed that water fluoridation is effective in children.

Are these statistics wrong? Are you now changing your answer and stating that it is not effective in children and that Cochrane is wrong?

Ok, yes this is true.
    It does not however address the point following that:

There are still a bunch more factors that aren't accounted for at all.

For example it does not account for the differing diets of people between countries and how said diets change over time.
    It does not account for the differing policies in dental health between countries or how they have changed over time.
    It does not account for the cost and availability of dental care in different countries and how that changes over time.

You have said that these factors either have been addressed in those figures or they don't matter cause you just say so.
    Hence, you have been lying.

There would be things in there not covered by JH ... Does that mean Im lying ?

You asked for other factors besides the one I posted .. .and they are in there I never said otherwise ...

See below
    But again you have avoided the question.
    I asked if there were any other factors you believe that would influence the statistics. Please address this.

If you would have actually looked at the statistics as I said you should you would know this

So you accept that the NI suggests fluoridation is still effective in children? Notice i say suggests not prove and i hope you would agree that this suggestion carries more wieight than your data because of the controls? If not you need to say where the controls and study design went wrong.

Please don't take this as a dig but you have said that english isn't your first language and i think this has led to you misunderstanding what Cochrane's says.

He says that there is not enough evidence that fluoridation works better in poorer areas. This does not mean studies no longer need to correct for socio economic factors

Studies correcting for social economic factors do it to reduce bias. Different diets, access to health care etc all do have an influence on DMFT.

The studies Cochrane rejected purposely introduce this bias to see if there is more of an effect in one type of community over the other.

Basically two completely unrelated things.

But still the study was aimed at children ..The working there is something I'm not disputing .

I didn't know where this data came from but now i know i'm shocked. This is just bizarre but quite funny.

The data is on 12 yr old children and in the time frame that the Cochrane review covers!

DMFT reduced in areas without fluoridation at the same time that studies proved without doubt (95% CI) that the DMFT reduces by 25% or so with fluoridation.

The timeframe involved disproves your own conclusions and shows that simple stats are not to be trusted.

Cochrane's says the following about confounders

"We found all studies to be at high risk of bias for confounding. We considered confoundng factors for this outcome to be sugar consumption/dietary habits, SES, ethnicity and the use of other fluoride sources. We would have judged studies to be at low risk of confounding bias only if they had successfully controlled for all factors"

All studies are at risk so what controls did you use?

Then there is no other options then to discard the results in regards to fluoride when its from the WHO, SHER etc

Cannot have it both ways

Then there is no other options then to discard the results in regards to fluoride when its from the WHO, SHER etc

Cannot have it both ways

I know that's why i said you would back yourself into a corner by insisting on High Grade studies. Now what?

There would be things in there not covered by JH ... Does that mean Im lying ?

You asked for other factors besides the one I posted .. .and they are in there I never said otherwise ...

See below
    You are lying because you claimed repeatedly that the statistics addresses all of the factors we have been bringing up.
    This is a lie. The statistics do no such thing.

I have been asking you to explain what factors you would accept, but you have been avoiding this question.
    We finally dragged out one set from you, but your counter was that you just ignored it.

Do you believe all of these factors might effect the statistics? Yes or no?
    If yes, then how do you factor them in other than "your judgement".
    if no, then why not?

Is fluoride effective in children?
    You say your statistics say no.
    But you agree with Cochrane's conclusions, which say yes.
    You cannot hold these stances at the same time.

If you would have actually looked at the statistics as I said you should you would know this
    If you had just posted them when asked instead of being coy and evasive then maybe we wouldn't have to keep asking you stuff 500 times...

I know that's why i said you would back yourself into a corner by insisting on High Grade studies. Now what?

I think both sides need to watch out for that ... Poor old Wheldon has more things to worry about then me

You are lying because you claimed repeatedly that the statistics addresses all of the factors we have been bringing up.
    This is a lie. The statistics do no such thing.

Nope I said they cover other statistics ...Just as you asked
    I have been asking you to explain what factors you would accept, but you have been avoiding this question.
    We finally dragged out one set from you, but your counter was that you just ignored it.

Wrong again ... Other factors are in the statistics I am referencing from all the time ... If you would actually had looked at them you would know that
    Do you believe all of these factors might effect the statistics? Yes or no?
    If yes, then how do you factor them in other than "your judgement".
    if no, then why not?

As I said earlier ... every factor could influence statistics
    Is fluoride effective in children?

Statistics say yes ... Cochrane says yes ... Cannot make it any clearer I'm afraid
    If you had just posted them when asked instead of being coy and evasive then maybe we wouldn't have to keep asking you stuff 500 times...

I already posted them a good while back ... and if you didn't know what I was referring to when I mentioned these statistics for about 30 times ....... Just ask, Nowhere in this thread did you ask what kind of statistics I was talking about. It would have saved you a lot of trouble.

I think both sides need to watch out for that ... Poor old Wheldon has more things to worry about then me

To be fair weisses the Cochrane review explains why this standard may not be appropriate for a public health intervention you just chose to ignore that part of the review.

Also Wheltons paper goes through this in great detail again you chose to ignore it.

Nope I said they cover other statistics ...Just as you asked
    That's not what I've been asking for at all.
    I asked quite clearly how you address these factors before you came to your conclusion. You did not address these factors, therefore your conclusion based on the statistics alone is worthless.
    Wrong again ... Other factors are in the statistics I am referencing from all the time ... If you would actually had looked at them you would know that
    No other factors are covered by the statistics you posted at all.
    You were quite clear about how they simply only provide the number of fillings and how that "you don't need a study for that."
    However now you are claiming that they have other factors accounted for... which is false:

They mention the percentage of salt fluoridation only, without mentioning whether they are included or excluded from the figure.
    There is no mention of fluoridated milk or toothpaste.
    There is no mention of partial fluoridation by natural sources.
    There is no mention of the differences caused by various policies between countries.
    There is no mention of the differences caused by the difference of availability and cost of dental care.
    There is no mention of the differences caused by the various diets of children between countries.
    There is no mention of how any of these factors might have changed over time.

They are not mentioned, and you have not explained how you conclude that they don't influence your conclusion.

If I am wrong, point out where exactly you do this or where these points are addressed in your statistics.
    As I said earlier ... every factor could influence statistics
    So why do you think your conclusion is at all valid when you do not know how these factors influence the statistics?
    Just ignore them?
    Statistics say yes ... Cochrane says yes ... Cannot make it any clearer I'm afraid
    Sorry, I said "fluoride" when I meant to say "water fluoridation". Allow me to rephrase:

Is water fluoridation effective in children?

• Advertisement

That's not what I've been asking for at all.
    I asked quite clearly how you address these factors before you came to your conclusion. You did not address these factors, therefore your conclusion based on the statistics alone is worthless.

Yes you did
    But again you have avoided the question.
    I asked if there were any other factors you believe that would influence the statistics. Please address this.

And i answered that

No other factors are covered by the statistics you posted at all.
    You were quite clear about how they simply only provide the number of fillings and how that "you don't need a study for that."
    However now you are claiming that they have other factors accounted for... which is false:

They mention the percentage of salt fluoridation only, without mentioning whether they are included or excluded from the figure.
    There is no mention of fluoridated milk or toothpaste.
    There is no mention of partial fluoridation by natural sources.
    There is no mention of the differences caused by various policies between countries.
    There is no mention of the differences caused by the difference of availability and cost of dental care.
    There is no mention of the differences caused by the various diets of children between countries.
    There is no mention of how any of these factors might have changed over time.

They are not mentioned, and you have not explained how you conclude that they don't influence your conclusion.

If I am wrong, point out where exactly you do this or where these points are addressed in your statistics.

It doesn't matter ... They don't fluoridate their water ... Which is the point I am trying to make all along ... Do they use other methods of fluoride ? yes ... Did I ever claimed fluoride is not working ? No
    So why do you think your conclusion is at all valid when you do not know how these factors influence the statistics?
    Just ignore them?

No not ignore them .... Used my judgement .. As I said 3 times earlier
    Sorry, I said "fluoride" when I meant to say "water fluoridation". Allow me to rephrase:

Is water fluoridation effective in children?

Statistics say yes ...Are you even looking at them ?

Advertisement