Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fluoride, Makes us Docile and Passive? Thoughts??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭weisses

King Mob wrote: »
    Not really my job. You are claiming that this doesn't factor in. So what leads you to believe this? How do you know that the number of people who do use these products does not effect statistics?
    Do you think they they might effect the statistics?

It is your job ...You are saying it should be factored in ... so give the numbers so we can add them
    Again, you seem to be misreading then redefining things.
    Cochrane says that it cannot make a conclusion because there is insufficient evidence.

You are making a conclusion that there is no difference based on socio econmonic factors.
    What evidence do you have to show this?

Uhhh If Cochrane cannot reach that conclusion how can you ask me if I am acounting for cost of dental hygiene and care among different levels of wealth ? .... It cannot be used either way

No, that's why we're still asking.
    You are avoiding again.

Again ... If you need to be spoonfed ... don't come to me
    Nope, it's just the one thing you have to accept because of the double standards you are accepting.
    Even with your strict interpretations and sudden desire to stick to only what you've decided to be the highest quality evidence, you still must accept that it has been shown to be effective in children.
    You have yet to show a convincing reason to forgo even that benefit.

Show me where I adopt double standards ?

And I do accept it is effective in children (also already discussed earlier with JH97)

I think I even agreed with jh97 before Cochrane published their findings that it would be a good standard to go from

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭jh79

weisses wrote: »
    It is your job ...You are saying it should be factored in ... so give the numbers so we can add them

You've rejected studies like this because they were also rejected by Cochrane.

Uhhh If Cochrane cannot reach that conclusion how can you ask me if I am acounting for cost of dental hygiene and care among different levels of wealth ? .... It cannot be used either way

Your a bit confused here, Cochrane isn't saying this at all. Cochrane review states there was insufficient evidence that fluoridation had greater effect on poorer communities.

What Kingmob is saying and what the various studies do is ensure that such factors do not skew the data so that a firm conclusion can be drawn. Either by selecting patients from a mix of backgrounds or by using statistical models to account for such things.If you select only people from a disadvantaged background then your conclusions only apply to them. If you have no controls on confounding factors your data is essentially worthless in the context of fluoridation.

Show me where I adopt double standards ?

By claiming a single set of simple data was a sufficient reason to end fluoridation but that only high quality studies are sufficient to justify fluoridation. Surely you have come across the idea of controls and confounding factors given how many papers have been discussed on this and other threads

And I do accept it is effective in children (also already discussed earlier with JH97)

I think I even agreed with jh97 before Cochrane published their findings that it would be a good standard to go from

Ok so it is effective in children and safe and we won't know otherwise until 2021 so why on earth should it end now?

See in red

• Registered Users Posts: 25,236 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Again you are claiming that you can reach your conclusion without the need for studies.
    You are saying that it's simply a matter of comparing statistics. But it's not. Asking me for numbers isn't going to help you. You have to explain how these factors don't effect anything, or show that their numbers are low.
    You can't do this however because your claim is unfounded.
    Again, you misunderstand.
    Cochrane states that they cannot reach a conclusion about it. They can't conclude whether or not it is a factor.
    You, by claiming that it's all a matter of statistics, are saying that you conclude it isn't a factor.

So again, how do you know these factors I pointed out don't effect the statistics?
    Not about being spoonfed, it's about you stating your case clearly and concisely. You have not done so. You have not provided any convincing reason why fluoridation should be stopped when at minimum it has benefit for children. Continuing to evade the question is not convincing.

I am not talking about studies in regards to DMFT figures on the mainland

These are statistics

Do we need a high grade peer reviewed study to compare road deaths in Europe ?

Its not rocket science lads

These are statistics

ok, try again so.

Dental health is improving in the EU , why is that significant? What does it prove?

• Advertisement

jh79 wrote: »
    And until some of those countries introduce fluoridation and then in five years time re-asses DMFT and dmft levels that observation is completely meaningless.

Cochrane reviews have found fluoridation to be effective in children and to be the most effective public intervention measure, can you explain the reasons for now rejecting these findings and how your two columns in excel is proof that these findings should be rejected?

How can they claim the part in Bold and the part below in the same report
    No studies that aimed to determine the effectiveness of water fluoridation for preventing caries in adults met the review's inclusion criteria.

How can they claim the part in Bold and the part below in the same report

In children.

ok, try again so.

Dental health is improving in the EU , why is that significant? What does it prove?

97% of the European population is not affected by water fluoridation and yet their dental health improves at the same rate or even faster then the people in Ireland

What does that mean to you ? giving the fact Children in the age group it works for only counts for 8-10% of the population

These are statistics

So the factors I outlined play no effect on the statistics and therefore your conclusion?
    How do you know this for a fact?

So the factors I outlined play no effect on the statistics and therefore your conclusion?
    How do you know this for a fact?

Ohh they probably have some effect ....

Cochrane
    There is low quality evidence to suggest fluoridated milk may be beneficial to schoolchildren

A couple of countries have fluoridated salt available

But if you have any statistics on the factors YOU outlined I'm all ears

• Advertisement

97% of the European population is not affected by water fluoridation and yet their dental health improves at the same rate or even faster then the people in Ireland

What does that mean to you ? giving the fact Children in the age group it works for only counts for 8-10% of the population

It is a rehash of the effectiveness v necessity argument. Can you show that this rate of improvement would not be changed by the introduction of fluoridation?

Your argument suggests you don't understand why studies are even necessary?

Cochrane

That's why we need studies , how do you not get this??

Your excel sheet with two columns is completely meaningless.

Cochrane

Yes, that was one factor I mentioned. Another you conceded that there wasn't enough evidence to conclude on.

Again, these factors influence the statistics. To exclude them and reach the conclusion you do, you need a study.

Yes, that was one factor I mentioned. Another you conceded that there wasn't enough evidence to conclude on.

Again, these factors influence the statistics. To exclude them and reach the conclusion you do, you need a study.

No we dont ... They don't fluoridate their water ... I am not disputing if fluoride works or not ... 97% of Europe dont fluoridate their water and their dental health is up to par or better then the folks here in Ireland

Ok, let's take this one step at a time...
    No we dont ... They don't fluoridate their water ... I am not disputing if fluoride works or not ... 97% of Europe dont fluoridate their water and their dental health is up to par or better then the folks here in Ireland
    Yes, but in some cases they fluoridate their salt and milk.
    How do you know for a fact that the reason their dental health is on par with Ireland's is not because this method of fluoridation produces a similar benefit?

So your saying that fluoridation is not necessary because dental health improves without it. Is this your argument against fluoridation?

Ok, let's take this one step at a time...

Yes, but in some cases they fluoridate their salt and milk.
    How do you know for a fact that the reason their dental health is on par with Ireland's is not because this method of fluoridation produces a similar benefit?

And how do you know for a fact the fluoride toothpaste used in Ireland doesn't play a big role in dental health over here as well ?

And as you say .. Salt and milk is available in some cases ... You could compare figures with countries that don't use fluoridated salt or milk.

And how do you know for a fact the fluoride toothpaste used in Ireland doesn't play a big role in dental health over here as well ?

And as you say .. Salt and milk is available in some cases ... You could compare figures with countries that don't use fluoridated salt or milk.

That's why we have studies rather than an excel sheet with 2 columns.

Ok weisses if basic comparisons are good enough for you all of a sudden then fluoridation must be effective in ireland because dental health is better here than in NI. Just stats no need for a study i believe you said? We fluoridate they don't so it must be effective??

Ok weisses if basic comparisons are good enough for you all of a sudden then fluoridation must be effective in ireland because dental health is better here than in NI. Just stats no need for a study i believe you said? We fluoridate they don't so it must be effective??

Yes basic comparisons are good enough

97% of Europe don't fluoridate their water (fact) ..And dental health is equally as good or better then in the countries that do fluoridate their water ..... What don't you understand in regards to these figures ?

• Advertisement

97% of Europe don't fluoridate their water (fact) ..And dental health is equally as good or better then in the countries that do fluoridate their water ..... What don't you understand in regards to these figures ?

This is how bad your argument against fluoridation has got??

There is nothing to understand they are meaningless. As long as fluoridation is effective it is necessary. Imagine how good their dental health would be with fluoridation!

According to Cochrane a 25 % reduction for children. Who wouldn't want that??

So why not NI ? Why are we better than them?

According to Cochrane a 25 % reduction for children. Who wouldn't want that??

Easily achieved without water fluoridation ..As statistics show

This is how bad your argument against fluoridation has got??

Pot kettle ? ... The discussing in favor has gone from one of the greatest health achievements in the 20th century to ... But It works in Children

Not going to distract you with further questions you can deflect to.
    I want to see how you weasel your way out of this corner

Northen Ireland doesn't fluoridate and it has worse dental health than Ireland.
    If we just stick with the statistics like you are now insisting, this means that fluoridation is effective.

Please explain why you think this is not valid.

Easily achieved without water fluoridation ..As statistics show

25% more would be achieved which you can't seem to grasp.

You'll be reduced to fluoride and nazis soon.

Not going to distract you with further questions you can deflect to.
    I want to see how you weasel your way out of this corner

What questions am i deflecting ? .... Other then the ones I already addressed in the years of debating water fluoridation ?

25% more would be achieved which you can't seem to grasp.

How ?

Are you actually suggesting dental health among the children in the 97% would jump with 25% if they would start to fluoridate ?

How ?

Are you actually suggesting dental health among the children in the 97% would jump with 25% if they would start to fluoridate ?

My God what do you think the Cochrane review was all about?

That is exactly what their meta analysis found it is in your favoured plain english summary, the bottom line according to you.

• Advertisement

My God what do you think the Cochrane review was all about?

That is exactly what their meta analysis found it is in your favoured plain english summary, the bottom line according to you.

Ohh okay
    These results are based predominantly on old studies and may not be applicable today

Why did you not mentioned this ? ...Is it inconvenient ?

Study in regards to NI is 14 years old correct ?

Advertisement