Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BMW finally coming clean on the N47

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

'Bout sodding time for them! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

They're not really coming clean though are they, in the Independent article, they've said the design flaw was in cars made before June 2008, sure even BMW's own service bulletins acknowledge that there was a problem until March 2009 (when they made their first attempt to fix the problem) and it was only after March 2011 that it was 'properly' fixed (even though it wasn't fixed then, either). There is also no mention of the N57, which being exactly the same as the N47 (just with two extra cylinders stuck on) also suffers from the problems (though not to the same extent because the N57 being a six cylinder unit is much smoother running than the N47, plus the fact they are almost always automatics, which are less prone to the problem for some unknown reason).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭coolbeans

tippman1 wrote: »

BMW have behaved very badly re their recurrent faults imo. If it were another manufacture like Toyota I can't help but feel that customers would have been looked after thru a widely publicised recall that would temporarily hit share prices but ultimately restore consumers' faith in the company in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Good to hear. I wonder if they will be paying out customers who have already paid out €6k to fix this problem from their own pocket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

shietpilot wrote: »
    Good to hear. I wonder if they will be paying out customers who have already paid out €6k to fix this problem from their own pocket.

I can tell you there will be two chances , slim and none.
    Slim left town a while back and None died.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I can tell you there will be two chances , slim and none.
    Slim left town a while back and None died.

The joys of a Premium Brand car ownership!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

robtri wrote: »

Depends on what your definition of premium is I guess?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Indeed. Can't really consider them a premium car these days with a 4 pot diesel under the bonnet..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

robtri wrote: »

Premium brand does not equal premium car.

I feed my cat wiskas premium, does that make for a premium cat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

I was under the impression that the N57 was just as bad, just less reported cases as less units were sold in this country.

At least the New B47 and B57 seem to be an improvement. Time will tell if they really cured it or just pushed the issues passed the warranty period...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭selectamatic

coolbeans wrote: »
    BMW have behaved very badly re their recurrent faults imo. If it were another manufacture like Toyota I can't help but feel that customers would have been looked after thru a widely publicised recall that would temporarily hit share prices but ultimately restore consumers' faith in the company in future.

+1 on this, German brands have a history on poor recalls/good will especially bmw and the vag group.
    I can't help but feel that if this was a jap,French or Italian brands problem they wouldn't have got it so easy in the motoring media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    I was under the impression that the N57 was just as bad, just less reported cases as less units were sold in this country.

At least the New B47 and B57 seem to be an improvement. Time will tell if they really cured it or just pushed the issues passed the warranty period...

Well N47s were developing problems at this stage, and there is no bad news with the B engined range - yet. It will be a real disaster if the B47 suffers from the problems, because the petrol engines now have the timing chain in the wrong place as well, so that means only the V8 and V12 petrols won't have the timing chain problem in the not too distant future if it hasn't been sorted (and the V8s have enough problems to contend with) :(.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭Esel

... The timing chain links all the moving parts of an engine...

Motoring journos (most of them anyway) are plonkers.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Bumping this thread so the poor guy who got shot down for adding info to one of the many other Nfkty7 engine threads can find the latest relevant thread.

Advertisement