Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best spice bag?

Options
  • 24-10-2016 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭

Unless you have been living under a rock, you will know the popularity of the spice bag has soared in the last year or two.

As we are lucky enough to have a decent number of Chinese takeaways in the area, I'm looking to find out who does the best spice bag.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

FooLok, their Singapore spice bag, but the one in Woodview Grove, not the one in Blanchardstown Village.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

January wrote: »
    FooLok, their Singapore spice bag, but the one in Woodview Grove, not the one in Blanchardstown Village.

+1
    Yep yep! no doubt!
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Chef in Ongar is the only one I've tried, (before I went veggie :) ) but it seems like great value for money: a big bag that would easily feed two, plus a can of soft drink all for €5. Very tasty too imo!

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭chrisire

Foo Lok in Woodview by a mile

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

The Chinese beside the eurospar in hartstown does a decent one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Problem is none of them are spicy enough... I'll stick to Vindaloo so! :-)
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

A Spice Bag with proper fresh chips (not frozen) would be the real deal.

DvB wrote: »
    Problem is none of them are spicy enough... I'll stick to Vindaloo so! :-)

You can ask for it to be spicier you know ;)

Had one from Magic Wok last night (the one beside Eurospar in Hartstown) and it was nice, chicken balls and shredded chicken in it. Not as nice as FooLok though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    A Spice Bag with proper fresh chips (not frozen) would be the real deal.

They have such a thing in killester golden grain

Yes I know this is Dublin 15 worth the spin out :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,029 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Can I be a complete philistine here and ask what the hell a spice bag is?

• Advertisement

Gaspode wrote: »

Get yerself up to one of the aforementioned establishments & buy one. You'll thank us all later :D

Chicken, chips, peppers, onions and chilli's mixed together and coated in spices (chinese five spice and some other stuff) and put into a bag/box. Yum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Gaspode wrote: »

You should start reading dailyedge.ie. Not a week goes by without them making up a story about a spice bag.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,029 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

January wrote: »
    Chicken, chips, peppers, onions and chilli's mixed together and coated in spices (chinese five spice and some other stuff) and put into a bag/box. Yum.
    Sounds interesting.
    nikpmup wrote: »
    Get yerself up to one of the aforementioned establishments & buy one. You'll thank us all later :D

That I may just do.
    You should start reading dailyedge.ie. Not a week goes by without them making up a story about a spice bag.

That I wont do! :)

It *should* be vile. But it is spicy and carby and delicious. If you want to be an absolute savage, go for a spice box. (basically a pizza tray full of the above ingredients and a big tub of curry sauce) Perfect hangover cure. I had an awful goo on me for a spice bag after reading this thread yesterday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

As much as I like the flavour, my problem is usually the chicken you get is rubber ****e.

FooLoks isn't rubbery. Well not any that I've ever had anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

stevek93 wrote: »
    They have such a thing in killester golden grain

Yes I know this is Dublin 15 worth the spin out :D

Ordered one tonight :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭CWF

stevek93 wrote: »
    Ordered one tonight :D

What's the best spice bag in D15 these days!!?

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

Still the Singapore spice bag from foolok. I try a different one some times but always come back to this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭CWF

Ever try blue elephant in Clonsilla?

CWF wrote:
    Ever try blue elephant in Clonsilla?

Tried it a while ago, very nice. Their salt and chilli squid is gorgeous

• Registered Users Posts: 5,226 ✭✭✭RoryMac

LorelaiG wrote: »
    Still the Singapore spice bag from foolok. I try a different one some times but always come back to this one.

What's the difference between a Singapore spice bag and a normal one?

Spices are different, if you've ever had Singapore noodles the spices in there are what they use in a Singapore spice bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

Noticed the majority of Chinese takeaways have been changing their spice bags. What’s your favourite one nowadays?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Chef or Yu Hong House for me.

Still prefer FooLoks... although I'm not a huge fan of spice bags in general because there's too much chips and not enough chicken. I usually just get a tray of the salt and chilli chicken chunks from Chef now. The one in Ongar is best quality IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I do like the box from Foo Lok.

Advertisement