Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeat Leaving Cert Maths

Options
  • 24-10-2016 5:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭

I'm in my 30's. I got an A in pass maths in my Leaving Cert and always regretted not doing honours.

I work in software and think that I'd benefit from having a deeper knowledge in Mathematics.

Can I just buy a book and study myself, and take the exam when exam time comes? Or is that silly and I should just do a maths course somewhere else?

I don't care about adding to my points total.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Yes you can, though it would be a lot easier with night classes or private classes to explain some of the concepts.

External entries for exams have to be in in the January prior to the exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

spurious wrote: »
    Yes you can, though it would be a lot easier with night classes or private classes to explain some of the concepts.

External entries for exams have to be in in the January prior to the exam.

Am I naive in thinking that the exam is easier than it really is based on me being older and wiser? I mean, it's still going to require months of hard work I'm guessing?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Am I naive in thinking that the exam is easier than it really is based on me being older and wiser? I mean, it's still going to require months of hard work I'm guessing?

There would be many who argue standards have slipped in terms of what is needed now for many subjects.

Maths is a tricky one though, as the Project Maths approach needs you to understand the concepts behind the use of various formulae to solve problems.
    That's part of the trick, knowing what the question is asking you to do.

When you did Maths originally, did you drop from HL, or always do OL?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

spurious wrote: »
    There would be many who argue standards have slipped in terms of what is needed now for many subjects.

Maths is a tricky one though, as the Project Maths approach needs you to understand the concepts behind the use of various formulae to solve problems.
    That's part of the trick, knowing what the question is asking you to do.

When you did Maths originally, did you drop from HL, or always do OL?

I did it in 1999. I did HL for the mock I think, but then dropped down. What a silly bugger I was.

I did it in 1999. I did HL for the mock I think, but then dropped down. What a silly bugger I was.

You should be OK on the concepts then.

Some of the qs are fairly straightforward - the circle, etc. and will come back to you. If I were you, to start with, I'd get a couple of grinds just to outline the topics and see what you need to work on yourself. Get a teacher, rather than someone who 'was good at Maths' as often the best ones at Maths are not good at explaining things.

As you work, keep a notebook of things you want clarified etc., and when you next get a grind, run them past the person.

• Advertisement
Advertisement