Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buzzing from cooker isolator.

Options
  • 24-10-2016 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭

So the mother bought a new electric hob and I wired it up for her. Works but when put more than two rings on there's a buzzing noise coming from the isolator switch. Would replacing the isolator fix it?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭confusedeire

Joshua J wrote: »
    So the mother bought a new electric hob and I wired it up for her. Works but when put more than two rings on there's a buzzing noise coming from the isolator switch. Would replacing the isolator fix it?.

Did you check the connections are clean and tight on both the supply and switched side?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

Did you check the connections are clean and tight on both the supply and switched side?

Nah I hadn't touched it so thought would be sound but maybe I could have moved something when manipulating the hob wires. Guess I'll have a look tomorrow.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Switch off at the distribution board immediately.
    Sounds like it is arcing, so possibly a fire hazzard.

A few questions to help us assist you:
    What rating is the hob? (in kW or amps)
    What rating is the switch?
    What size is the cable?

2011 wrote: »
    Switch off at the distribution board immediately.
    Sounds like it is arcing, so possibly a fire hazzard.

A few questions to help us assist you:
    What rating is the hob? (in kW or amps)
    What rating is the switch?
    What size is the cable?

6kw
    not sure
    6mm

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Joshua J wrote: »
    6kw
    not sure
    6mm

A 6sq. cable can deliver 6 kW of power at 230 V as this is about 26 amps.
    A 32 A B type MCB would be suitable with the isolator rated for at least 32A.

All connections should be tight with all strands of the conductors undamaged and inserted in to their respective terminals. If there is any doubt about the condition of the switch it should be replaced. My advice would be to use a quality brand such as MK. Unless you are competent and know exactly what you are doing it would be best to get a qualified electrician to do this work, it just not worth taking the risk.

• Advertisement

2011 wrote: »
    A 6sq. cable can deliver 6 kW of power at 230 V as this is about 26 amps.
    A 32 A B type MCB would be suitable with the isolator rated for at least 32A.

All connections should be tight with all strands of the conductors undamaged and inserted in to their respective terminals. If there is any doubt about the condition of the switch it should be replaced. My advice would be to use a quality brand such as MK. Unless you are competent and know exactly what you are doing it would be best to get a qualified electrician to do this work, it just not worth taking the risk.
    Yeah putting the hob in was like changing a plug but I'd probably draw the line at messing with wall sockets. Thanks for the help.

Advertisement