Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I have received any documents from solicitor after sale?

Options
  • 24-10-2016 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

Last year I bought an apartment and I never received any documentation whatsoever, only the keys.

i was speaking to a colleague today who said that she recently bought a house and she was given many documents relating to the house...I think contract, folios etc.

I am just wondering if I should have been given any documentation from my solicitor? The only proof I have that I own the apartment is the key and the loan issue cheque documents i received from the bank.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

The bank has the deeds, and the folio, if there is a folio,
    you,ll recieve letters from the banks,eg your loan is say 170k,
    interest rate x per cent , loan is x type ,eg variable interest rate from
    bank,x , account no x .
    When you pay the loan off ,you,ll recieve the original deeds .
    my friend bought a house, she has the deeds , going back, to 1840.
    eg its an old house , theres no folio .
    she has no loan,house bought with cash .
    hold onto all letters you get from the bank,
    re mortgage .
    You can ring up the bank, ask for letter stating, i have loan x,170k, on apartment x.
    first payment is due on date x.
    MY other friend gets a letter every january ,from the bank ,last years loan, interest paid ,
    loan account ,amount still due , x amount paid in 2015.etc

you have a Loan on the apartment, when the loan is 100 per cent paid off you,ll own it completely and have the deeds in your possession.

IF the bank gave out the deeds before the loan is paid, it could make it easy ,
    to commit fraud,
    someone could buy a house for 300k, pay say 10k,
    then maybe sell the house to someone for 250k.
    Using the deeds .and then do a runner with the money

like people steal laptops and sell em on to anyone that needs one .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

The keys is about all I received so hopefully that is fine. There was talk of receiving a copy of some documentation (optionally and I said yes) but that never came through. The solicitor was pretty crap so I let it go. As long as you can see something on propertypriceregister.ie I'm sure it is probably fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

http://www.prai.ie/
    the transaction should be recorded in the deeds registry anyway.
    not everything is digital, deeds are the actual paper documents that prove you own a house,
    if a house is sold 4 times there ,ll be at least 4 documents , one for each owner,
    and maybe a folio with a map of the boundarys .
    eg joe bloggs bought 43 grove road on 1st july 2014 for 180k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Harvey Normal

The banks get the deeds. You should possibly get a map.

Advertisement