Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord stopped cheque

Options
  • 24-10-2016 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭

Hi ppl, Am in somewhat of a dispute with my outgoing landlords (partners), I officially handed back the keys on Thursday before this we agreed to get a new stairs carpet as we were responsible for a whole section being torn which we did and at more than half the price they were going to charge we also took a bed base which he agreed to at a reasonable price but that changed as they were going to charge us mad money and so we returned it back to them which was on Friday last so to the point on Thursday when I received the cheque the landlord pointed out why this and that wasn't clean ok fair enough take it out of the deposit for cleaning and this wasn't pleasant meeting he also threatened to hit me (in front of his wife without provoking) as I tried to talk and he would have if she didn't jump in anyway in the end I went off shaken as I was then later received a call from the other landlord later (not to apologies on his partners behalf) that evening going on about the cleaning and he said that he would take action if we didn't go back and clean it my wife done most of the talking as I was driving so after getting nowhere with that he said to leave his belongings back to which we did and we thought that would be that until today when we noticed the 'cheque was stopped UNPAID' and when I called the landlord he started rambling on the supposedly main landlord (who I couldn't get on the phone) about little tares in one of the beds and that the bed base we returned was all of a sudden ripped which is nonsense I know this is all RTB territory but just by reading what I just wrote can someone out there throw any light on this as we feel we are being totally mistreated and we have never being a day late always punctual with rent in 3 years and not one bit of damage to the house either. Thanks in Advance Francie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Lodge a dispute with the RTB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

There was a thread in here a while ago with people saying they don't see a problem with landlords returning deposits by cheque. Here's your problem. Rtb I'm afraid op.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

You just listed damage you made to the house and then said you never caused damage... I'm confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭francie81

rawn wrote: »
    You just listed damage you made to the house and then said you never caused damage... I'm confused.

Eh that would be no damage to the dwelling beyond normal wear and tear as stated within a tenancy contract still confused?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

francie81 wrote:
    ...we agreed to get a new stairs carpet as we were responsible for a whole section being torn...

...and not one bit of damage to the house either.

Which is it? Your OP is confusing with the details (and the punctuation, sorry I'm not trying to be insulting but it was very hard to read in parts). It seems the LL may have cancelled the cheque as he believes he will need to deduct cleaning bills and repairs.

• Advertisement

rawn wrote: »
    Which is it? Your OP is confusing with the details (and the punctuation, sorry I'm not trying to be insulting but it was very hard to read in parts). It seems the LL may have cancelled the cheque as he believes he will need to deduct cleaning bills and repairs.

That's right we paid for the carpet out of our own pocket which as mentioned was the only real damage so they have no right to be withholding what they owe us when we also agreed for general cleaning fees which could of being easily negotiated at a time when a rogue cheque was handed over that seems pretty odd to me don't you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

francie81 wrote: »
    That's right we paid for the carpet out of our own pocket which as mentioned was the only real damage so they have no right to be withholding what they owe us when we also agreed for general cleaning fees which could of being easily negotiated at a time when a rogue cheque was handed over that seems pretty odd to me don't you think?

Did he agree the new carpet with you? Like had he seen what it was and agreed that it was an equal replacement?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

You could also go and have a chat to the local garda about your landlord threatening violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭paul71

seagull wrote: »
    You could also go and have a chat to the local garda about your landlord threatening violence.

That and the fraudulent issuance of a legal negotiable instrument with stamp duty paid on it.

cronos wrote: »
    Did he agree the new carpet with you? Like had he seen what it was and agreed that it was an equal replacement?

Yes afterwards we told them we priced the exact same carpet for less than half the price to what they were going to charge and as it stands he's totally non compliant about any refund making false accusations so much so that bizarrely taking pictures of irrelevant things in the house like walls, floors etc and saying we have a mattress belong to him which is ours when he only supplied us the base for it, he is adamant that he will win I really hope the TRB deal with this cowboy when I dispute my case. Again excuse my punctuation in my OP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Why did you steal your landlords bed?

MugMugs wrote: »
    Why did you steal your landlords bed?
    Because we asked him prior could we have it which he agreed to at a reasonable price but then they decided in the end to give these mad prices which forced us to return it and it wasn't new to begin with.

Advertisement