Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on this???

Options
  • 24-10-2016 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭

Myself and my OH have located a bungalow that has just come on the market for 255k. It's a 4-bed, bathroom house, in Bettystown. One of the bathrooms has been adapted to a wet room design for people with disabilities(which we both are). I can't copy the link as I'm on a mobile device.

The one thing that is putting us off is the distance - it's a 45 minute drive to where I work in Dublin(slightly longer for herself).

If anyone can post the link from a laptop, I'd be grateful. The address is: 36 Fairways Lawns, Bettystown.

Opinions/thoughts welcome.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

http://www.daft.ie/meath/bungalows-for-sale/bettystown/36-fairways-lawns-off-golf-links-road-bettystown-meath-1332000/
    If it is your dream house and location then go for it if not then it is a long drive to work.
    Personally it would not be for me.

Are you both in wheel chairs?
    If so,are all the doors wide enough?Are counters/light switches etc within reach?
    Being a 1970's house it may need alot of work that is not visible like insulation and plumbing.
    There are door saddles and a step in to the other shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

We're both wheelchair users, yes. We haven't gone to see it yet. We're hoping to go this weekend....? The wet room is the one we'd both be using. Other one is for visitors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Harvey Normal

Nice house. It looks like it was renovated since the 70's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

We're both wheelchair users, yes. We haven't gone to see it yet. We're hoping to go this weekend....? The wet room is the one we'd both be using. Other one is for visitors

Could you get the train to/from work from Laytown just up the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

45 minutes from there to any part of dublin in rush hour would be unlikely giving the amount of crashes, breakdowns, etc. But very nice house though!

• Advertisement

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Could you get the train to/from work from Laytown just up the road?

Dunno? Haven't had a look? Don't know the area.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    http://www.daft.ie/meath/bungalows-for-sale/bettystown/36-fairways-lawns-off-golf-links-road-bettystown-meath-1332000/
    If it is your dream house and location then go for it if not then it is a long drive to work.
    Personally it would not be for me.

Are you both in wheel chairs?
    If so,are all the doors wide enough?Are counters/light switches etc within reach?
    Being a 1970's house it may need alot of work that is not visible like insulation and plumbing.
    There are door saddles and a step in to the other shower.

We're hoping to go see it this weekend....?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

You've stippled ceilings throughout, not to everyone taste, certainly not adding value, you could put up some new plasterboard and skim over them or if the ceilings were high enough you could drop the ceiling and put in a false ceiling. Look for cracks as there usually hiding something.

That big lawn might look great but it'll break your heart or wallet keeping it in order.

Hard to see the floors correctly but looks like a lot of Lino in the house, that says to me they didn't spend a lot on the insulation underneath it, pull up a corner and see what's between you and the ground.
    Carpet in the rooms looks well past it's sell by date, budget throwing it out, smells can be masked for a viewing.

Looks like single glazing in some of the rooms, especially the ones attached to the conservatory, I'd question how warm they are and the conservatory at night. Is the wall insulated between them?

Check the tile work in the toilets in case it might need to be redone.

You need to relastically work out your fuel costs over your working life in the city, over the course of working for the next 25yrs will you spend 200k on fuel and cars? Would you save in the long run by buying closer to the city?

My own 2cent, you could spend 50k there handy between, ceilings, floors, insulation, new kitchen, bathroom etc.

I don't know bettystown but once your not in the city that house seems expensive, I'd think 160/170k was enough going on just what I can see in the photos.
    I'd throw a bit question mark over location if you've no family out around there and also the ongoing maintence required between diy and lawns.
    Important question as well, can you get down for a pint or a carton of milk without the car, very important.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

It looks a lovely house and it is a nice location if you like to be near a beach but to me it's very expensive for the area. If it's purely the wet room that's attracting you they really aren't that expensive to put in to any house of your choice. Think long and hard about it unless you really want to be close to a beach I don't see many other advantages.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I grew up near Bettystown but haven't lived there for 20 odd years, it's a nice place but changed a lot during the boom. There is a good supper market now... but it's a lot busier.

The house is a nice house but don't be blined by the wet room, can't do do the same to anyhouse? Looking at it I'd say 1980 build, check if it's cavity block or cavity wall, you can pump cavity walls easily. Find out how much to change the radiators to more modern one. Changing the widows to would make a big difference. Don't forget that being near the sea means cold weather when the wind if from the east.

Others posters a right, factor in travel costs, v buying in Dublin. What is petrol goes up 20c a ltr. What buses are wheel chair accessible ? The bus service in Bettystown was never great growing up there but my mother uses the Mathews bus a lot these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

+ 1 on the wet room. 5k spent wisely will kit out most any bathroom and turn it into a wet room.

Think of location first. Then find the right home. You will be at least an hour commuting each way....which is not cheap and not fun. I would agree that the price seems a bit high for a 4 bed in bettystown.

If I were wheelchair bound, I would be looking for something that needs a complete interior refurb. That way, I would get the property cheaper than one already done up and I would be able to have the place done to suit my living. Think about it....lower counters, switches, wider doors, open plan space etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I Think you could get a 2 bed bungalow nearer to dublin for the same price with 2 large bedrooms ,.any bathroom can be enlarged ,or a wider door put in
    put in for wheelchair acess for maybe 5k plus .
    That lawn will require alot of maintenance .
    Think of the time and money ,petrol it costs to get to bettystown
    every day.Rush hour traffic in dublin is a nightmare .
    look on daft.ie and myhome.ie houses bungalows under 210k in dublin .

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

You will need ot make so many changes that a wet room maybe the least of your worries.
    Do go see it though ,go see loads of places but do not let something like a wet room sway you.

if location means anywhere within 45 minutes of Dublin then have a look in Kildare,Wicklow and other parts of Meath too.

There are a few nice Bungalows for sale ,they need a bit of work but I think anywhere will.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭wobbie10

I live up the road from fairways and have a good friend living there.

It is a nice settled estate with some lovely people living there.

However it is quite a walk to any shops due to the layout of the estate and depending on your location.
    The houses are pretty badly insulated. My friend is currently ripping his apart and dryling inside as they are quite cold. half the estate seems to be currently upgrading judging by the amout of skips in gardens.

Train from laytown is 1 hour to city center. with about 5 min drive to laytown.

Any questions let me know.

wobbie10 wrote: »
    I live up the road from fairways and have a good friend living there.

It is a nice settled estate with some lovely people living there.

However it is quite a walk to any shops due to the layout of the estate and depending on your location.
    The houses are pretty badly insulated. My friend is currently ripping his apart and dryling inside as they are quite cold. half the estate seems to be currently upgrading judging by the amout of skips in gardens.

Train from laytown is 1 hour to city center. with about 5 min drive to laytown.

Any questions let me know.

Thanks. The layout is VERY confusing indeed. Took us quite a while to find the house. But, it is absolutely beautiful. It's in perfect condition. We would need to widen the door into the wet room..... it's very tight. A couple of other things would need to be done also. Re: the walk.......we would probably drive down to the shops anyway....? Safer.

If only we could lift that house and move it closer to Dublin lol!!!!

Moonbeam wrote: »
    You will need ot make so many changes that a wet room maybe the least of your worries.
    Do go see it though ,go see loads of places but do not let something like a wet room sway you.

if location means anywhere within 45 minutes of Dublin then have a look in Kildare,Wicklow and other parts of Meath too.

There are a few nice Bungalows for sale ,they need a bit of work but I think anywhere will.

But a lot of the ones closer to, or in Dublin will probably be out of our price range.......?

What would be the average journey time from that house to, say, Lucan in rush hour ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

you could buy a house in blanchardstown 2 or 3 bed for less than 250k .
    Look for one that a downstairs bathroom.
    it only costs a few grand to enlarge a bathroom door or a kitchen door for
    easy acess .obviously you want to buy a bungalow .
    blanchardstown by bus to city centre is 20 minutes approx
    and its got a large shopping centre and cinema .

riclad wrote: »
    you could buy a house in blanchardstown 2 or 3 bed for less than 250k .
    Look for one that a downstairs bathroom.
    it only costs a few grand to enlarge a bathroom door or a kitchen door for
    easy acess .obviously you want to buy a bungalow .
    blanchardstown by bus to city centre is 20 minutes approx
    and its got a large shopping centre and cinema .

We don't want a house......a bungalow would suit us better.....

Honestly I think you'd get a bungalow for a better price in Dublin, even if it is that much smaller. Factor in the commute and don't underestimate how much it can take out of you. I now live much closer to my job than I used to and my drive is not in traffic and I can't begin to explain how much less stress there is in my life.

• Advertisement

pilly wrote: »
    Honestly I think you'd get a bungalow for a better price in Dublin, even if it is that much smaller. Factor in the commute and don't underestimate how much it can take out of you. I now live much closer to my job than I used to and my drive is not in traffic and I can't begin to explain how much less stress there is in my life.

I'd love ya to show me!!!

I'd love ya to show me!!!

I've just seen on DAFT.IE Kingswood 240k, lovely area. Portmarnock 240k, gorgeous area. They're just 2 under the 255k mark that I would recommend, there are plenty others.

I've just seen on DAFT.IE Kingswood 240k, lovely area. Portmarnock 240k, gorgeous area. They're just 2 under the 255k mark that I would recommend, there are plenty others.

Links?

Think that one in Portmarnock was auctioned last week?

Probably wasn't sold......?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Are you a Dub Mickey, just wondering about the locations, seems to be a few around clondalkin, I lived there (im not a dub) and it was fine, there's one or two bad palces at the bottom but in general clondalkin is the finest and a very handy location for town, think the lines have blurred between lucan and clondalkin, i prefer clondalkin there's more to do and i've lived in both.
    Here's a place in Lucan, might suit.. seems ok price for dublin. http://www.daft.ie/dublin/bungalows-for-sale/lucan/76-rosewood-grove-lucan-dublin-1264584/

Are you a Dub Mickey, just wondering about the locations, seems to be a few around clondalkin, I lived there (im not a dub) and it was fine, there's one or two bad palces at the bottom but in general clondalkin is the finest and a very handy location for town, think the lines have blurred between lucan and clondalkin, i prefer clondalkin there's more to do and i've lived in both.
    Here's a place in Lucan, might suit.. seems ok price for dublin. http://www.daft.ie/dublin/bungalows-for-sale/lucan/76-rosewood-grove-lucan-dublin-1264584/

Yep I am. I saw that one in Lucan. It's a nice house, not sure about the terraced type for any extending it may need?

We can't really make a decision until we know how much of a mortgage we're going to get....?

Think that one in Portmarnock was auctioned last week?

Probably wasn't sold......?

Kingswood wouldn't be too far from Lucan at all and it's a very settled older area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

What about an own front door ground floor apartment for 200k OP?

Where I live is a lovely safe area, theres a LIDL right across the street, close to M50, close to shopping/hospitals/gym etc...

And my neighbour who has a wheelchair accessible front door (ie, no step up) had his 2 bed up for sale recently at 195k - he took it off the market because he wasnt getting much interest but the ground floor ones do come up from time to time. Youd easily renovate the ensuite into a wetroom and all doors/corridors are wheelchair friendly. Theyre only 10 years old as well.

You wouldnt have to worry about garden or building maintenance and the ground floor ones are a good size 80+ metres squared. Ive been living in one for 10 years and its been great!

• Advertisement

What about an own front door ground floor apartment for 200k OP?

Where I live is a lovely safe area, theres a LIDL right across the street, close to M50, close to shopping/hospitals/gym etc...

And my neighbour who has a wheelchair accessible front door (ie, no step up) had his 2 bed up for sale recently at 195k - he took it off the market because he wasnt getting much interest but the ground floor ones do come up from time to time. Youd easily renovate the ensuite into a wetroom and all doors/corridors are wheelchair friendly. Theyre only 10 years old as well.

You wouldnt have to worry about garden or building maintenance and the ground floor ones are a good size 80+ metres squared. Ive been living in one for 10 years and its been great!

Where's this?

My OH has been living in an apartment block for the last 8 years and would like a change to a bungalow.

Advertisement