Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on this???

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

pilly wrote: »
    We're moving into the house BEFORE we get married, so that has to be ready first.

I'll be honest Mickey I think you're stretching yourself all over the place here. New mortgage, credit union loan for the wedding and now you've to have this done? It's a matter of priorities really isn't it? Something has to give.

Are there not bedrooms downstairs that you could live downstairs for the meantime and save up? As I recall its a dormer bungalow yeah? Do they not usually have a bedroom downstairs?
    Agree with you Pilly. Something has to give or OP will be without a home very quickly because he can't afford the mortgage or the repayments of the other loan. Would see whats most important and put the other stuff off.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Wedding date is booked, deposit paid. The stairs have one bend on them at the bottom.

The downstairs bedroom isn't big enough for our two wheelchairs.

Herself's Dad has offered to pay for the lift for us.

We took credit union loan out to pay for the wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I don't wanna be that one person, but why aren't you staying within your means? I just moved house too and we're dying to tie the knot but this is the least important thing to us at the moment because there is so much to do in the house and this will require our time and money. I wish you all the happiness in the world really, but I just don't get that.
    If you rethink your finances, would it make more sense to bite the bullet, move the wedding date, lose the deposit but get everything done in the house first? I'm just approaching that in a very rational way.

LirW wrote: »
    I don't wanna be that one person, but why aren't you staying within your means? I just moved house too and we're dying to tie the knot but this is the least important thing to us at the moment because there is so much to do in the house and this will require our time and money. I wish you all the happiness in the world really, but I just don't get that.
    If you rethink your finances, would it make more sense to bite the bullet, move the wedding date, lose the deposit but get everything done in the house first? I'm just approaching that in a very rational way.

You could be losing 3 or 4K in deposits between venue, band, photographer etc. It would be absolute madness to cancel.

The credit untion loan is in reality only a short term loan which will be cleared/mostly cleared by cash gifts at the wedding. You could always look on your future father in laws offer as a loan if you don't want to accept it or else it could just be your wedding present from her parents.

You could be losing 3 or 4K in deposits between venue, band, photographer etc. It would be absolute madness to cancel.

The credit untion loan is in reality only a short term loan which will be cleared/mostly cleared by cash gifts at the wedding. You could always look on your future father in laws offer as a loan if you don't want to accept it or else it could just be your wedding present from her parents.

We haven't booked a photographer yet either!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

The downstairs bedroom isn't big enough for our two wheelchairs.

Is there any reason why both your wheelchairs have to be in the downstairs bedroom at the same time? Can you not work around this in some way and leave one or both of them in the kitchen or something?

Is there any reason why both your wheelchairs have to be in the downstairs bedroom at the same time? Can you not work around this in some way and leave one or both of them in the kitchen or something?

Yes, neither of us are able to walk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Can you not take turns going into the room and getting into bed? Or can one of you not move the other's wheelchair out of the room? You're pulling an awful lot of debt onto your head in one go as the others have said.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Shivers09

Have you looked in to a platform stair lift? Not sure what prices are like but even if you need to modify your existing staircase in order to make it work it could be more cost effective than an actual lift.

Shivers09 wrote: »
    Have you looked in to a platform stair lift? Not sure what prices are like but even if you need to modify your existing staircase in order to make it work it could be more cost effective than an actual lift.

We are going for a through floor lift. Regarding the platform lift, I don't think our staircase would be wide enough to accommodate one...?

• Advertisement

Through floor lift installed, and was well worth it. Makes life so much easier.

The guy we have doing our kitchen is a messer. He told us at the beginning he'd be done in three days. Nearly 3 weeks later and he's still not finished. Don't think he's done a full day since he started.....?

We've told him to be finished by tomorrow evening or **** off.......

He's having a go at our building contractors for being "messy", and didnt like the tone of an email we sent him yesterday outlining what needs to be finished up!!!

Kitchen finished - finally!!

Hopefully moving in towards the end of next week or the week after!!

Advertisement