Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disc brake pads query

Options
  • 24-10-2016 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭

Hi my existing pads got oil on them so they need to be replaced. Any ideas how I will know whether the old ones are sintered, resin or kevlar.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭JBokeh

Standard ones that come on the bike tend to be resin, sintered ones tend to make a bit of a grinding noise, and screech when wet. Resin are usually quieter, with a greater initial bite when cold, but lose their edge faster when they've a bit of heat in them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

It shouldn't matter what the old ones were I think, just get the type best suited to your riding, for example, wet & muddy mountain biking, it's best to go sintered, they take a bit longer to bite in, but don't fade as fast, so good for running smaller rotors.

If it's a road bike sintered would be better for big long descents where you brake gradually on the way down for the same reason above, they push heat back into the caliper so the rotor tends not to overheat and give you brake fade, but resin will give you a solid bite initially.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Recently replaced the pads on my Rose CX. It was supplied with sintered, and I tried replacing with Kevlar and sintered and found the sintered far better.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Muckers

Thanks for the replies lads. It's a cyclocross but mainly for road use so sintered it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭AmboMan

I replaced a set of pads recently, first year on a bike with disc brakes completed.
    Went for the SwissStop sintered and found the job to replace them easy enough and happy with the brake performance so far !

• Advertisement
Advertisement