Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fantasy/ Sci Fi

• 24-10-2016 10:08pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Fellow nerdlingers, any new series out there or an old one.
    I've read Brent Weeks, Brian Stavely recently and liked them so something similar would be great!

Do your worst!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,042 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Red Rising Trilogy by Pierce Brown

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Red Rising Trilogy by Pierce Brown

Thanks man, i've read it though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

There's a [sci-fi] trilogy, recently translated, by a Chinese writer Liu Cixin called the Three Body Problem, if you haven't read that already?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Three-Body_Problem

I really enjoyed the first, and have the others on my to read list. Would recommend on the basis of the first, anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

lordgoat wrote: »
    Fellow nerdlingers, any new series out there or an old one.
    I've read Brent Weeks, Brian Stavely recently and liked them so something similar would be great!

Do your worst!
    There's a whole thread to read to get suggestions...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055312740

Blood Song by Anthony Ryan is excellent and the later books are good but not great.

Any of the Robin Hobb books are good, as long as you don't mind the main protagonist scarcely developing over the course of his life but I may be overly harsh on her there.

Game of Thrones should keep you reading for quite a while but waiting for the next one is looking like becoming a decade at this stage so you may have to start from the beginning again. But, damn, it sucks you in!

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss is excellent as is the sequel but suffers from GRRM syndrome, leaving years between books.

The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie is an excellent start to a very good series as well.

Promise of Blood by Brian McClellen is the first book of the Powder Mage series and it's recommended.

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch is excellent but the sequels fade a bit.

The Grim Company by Luke Scull is recommended but I haven't started it yet.

Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawrence is a different fantasy novel with an anti-hero leading the story line. I enjoyed this more than I thought I would.

The Painted Man by Peter V. Brett is enjoyable with a different type of magic to normal but, again, the later books fall off a bit in quality.

Old Man's War, sci fy by John Scalzi is quite good and Leviathan Wakes By James A. Corey are starting points of two good series but I wouldn't be a big Scify fan.

That should keep you going for a bit:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,042 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Would anyone recommend the Riyria Chronicles and if so what order? looks like a big series so not sure whether to commit

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

There's a whole thread to read to get suggestions...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055312740

Blood Song by Anthony Ryan is excellent and the later books are good but not great.

Any of the Robin Hobb books are good, as long as you don't mind the main protagonist scarcely developing over the course of his life but I may be overly harsh on her there.
    I agree. I enjoyed Liveship Traders more than any of the others.

Game of Thrones should keep you reading for quite a while but waiting for the next one is looking like becoming a decade at this stage so you may have to start from the beginning again. But, damn, it sucks you in!

Won't be reading any more til the series is complete or at least a publication date for the last book.

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss is excellent as is the sequel but suffers from GRRM syndrome, leaving years between books.
    Same as above. Won't read any series until it's done or almost done.

The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie is an excellent start to a very good series as well.
    Have seen the name and he is on my list. Thanks.

Promise of Blood by Brian McClellen is the first book of the Powder Mage series and it's recommended.
    Haven't heard of this.

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch is excellent but the sequels fade a bit.
    Read them all so far. Like it as each book is more or less a self contained story

The Grim Company by Luke Scull is recommended but I haven't started it yet.
    Haven't heard of this.

Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawrence is a different fantasy novel with an anti-hero leading the story line. I enjoyed this more than I thought I would.
    This sounds interesting. I just started a book called Heroes never die last night and i think it has a similar theme...

The Painted Man by Peter V. Brett is enjoyable with a different type of magic to normal but, again, the later books fall off a bit in quality.
    Read th first one years ago and keep meaing to go back

Old Man's War, sci fy by John Scalzi is quite good and Leviathan Wakes By James A. Corey are starting points of two good series but I wouldn't be a big Scify fan.
    Watched The Expanse this year and it's based on the Corey series, brilliant TV if you haven't seen.

That should keep you going for a bit:)

Thanks for the list!

Advertisement