Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help grammer irish teaching?

Options
  • 24-10-2016 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭

Im currently doin caitheamh aimsire in irish. And im not sure how to say sentences properly
    How do you say "do you like cooking, hurling, horse riding etc? Also what does "a bheith" mean and when do u use it?
    Also when u reply a question "taitnionn ____ liom" how do you say it for "I like playing golf""?
    And is it "ni maith liom snamh" or "ni maith liom ag snamh"? Thanks a mill

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭pandoraj09

OP, you say you are teaching the topic pastimes in Irish. How can you "teach" something that you do not know yourself? For your long-term career prospects you really should get some one to one Irish classes so you understand the language and then you can teach it effectively to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,612 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

zeebre12 wrote: »
    Im currently doin caitheamh aimsire in irish. And im not sure how to say sentences properly
    How do you say "do you like cooking, hurling, horse riding etc? Also what does "a bheith" mean and when do u use it?
    Also when u reply a question "taitnionn ____ liom" how do you say it for "I like playing golf""?
    And is it "ni maith liom snamh" or "ni maith liom ag snamh"? Thanks a mill

An maith leat + the verbal noun form (without the "ag")

An maith leat cócaireacht? - Do you like cooking?

A bheith - To be

Ba bhreá liom a bheith ann - I'd love to be there
    Caithfidh siad a bheith agam amárach - I must have them tomorrow (notice the "agam" changing the meaning?)

Also, you asked how do you say "I like playing golf" in Irish. And then they say if it is Ní maith liom snámh nó ní maith liom ag snámh. Ag snámh = Swimming, NOT GOLF!!

Is maith liom ag imirt gailf - I like playing golf

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

sryanbruen wrote: »
    An maith leat + the verbal noun form (without the "ag")

An maith leat cócaireacht? - Do you like cooking?

A bheith - To be

Ba bhreá liom a bheith ann - I'd love to be there
    Caithfidh siad a bheith agam amárach - I must have them tomorrow (notice the "agam" changing the meaning?)

Also, you asked how do you say "I like playing golf" in Irish. And then they say if it is Ní maith liom snámh nó ní maith liom ag snámh. Ag snámh = Swimming, NOT GOLF!!

Is maith liom ag imirt gailf - I like playing golf

Ní maith liom ag snámh

Is maith liom ag imirt gailf

Both incorrect.

Ní maith liom snámh a dhéanamh
    Ní maith liom a bheith ag snámh

OR

Is maith liom galf a imirt
    Is maith liom a bheith ag imirt gailf

Gumbi wrote: »
    Ní maith liom ag snámh

Is maith liom ag imirt gailf

Both incorrect.

Ní maith liom snámh a dhéanamh
    Ní maith liom a bheith ag snámh

OR

Is maith liom galf a imirt
    Is maith liom a bheith ag imirt gailf

So I've been taught wrong? :cool::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

So I've been taught wrong? :cool::cool:

Yep. I'm confident you won't find example similar to yours online.

By the way, I should note, in the examples I gave I usd "a bheith". In strict Standard Irish I believe you leave out the "a" but it's used all the time in speech, so there's no biggie in leaving it in IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭zeebre12

Can I ask what does 'Cad ata uait?' mean and 'ta pratai uaim'. What the difference between agam/agat?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I'm hoping this OP isn't really teaching Irish to a class, because they seem to lack even the very basics. I'm all for helping someone, but if the OP is getting paid to teach, I think they should put some of that money into Irish classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Oh dear....

Is maith liom golf a imirt.

OR

Ni maith liom Golf a imirt!
    (sorry, can't do fadas on this phone keyboard)

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

Can I ask what does 'Cad ata uait?' mean and 'ta pratai uaim'. What the difference between agam/agat?

There are some very very good grammar books available in bookshops - I do not know which one to recommend to you as I am not sure what level you are studying. I do know there are grammar books available for both Junior and Leaving Cert - perhaps one of these will be a good starting point? Also, there used to be a series on TV many years ago - Buntús Cainte, with an associated series of books - it is quite possible that these are still available either in shops or online.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭zeebre12

Its just uaim, uait etc..what do they mean when you translate them properly..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Its just uaim, uait etc..what do they mean when you translate them properly..

Seriously? How did you get a teaching qualification without knowing such a fundamental basic of Irish? :confused:

You're asking about the Forainmneacha Réamhfhoclacha. The "prepositional pronouns".

"Ó" often means from/of. Therefore uaim, uait, uaidh, uaithi, uainn, uaibh, uathu translate as from me, you, him, her, us, ye, them.

It can also mean "I want" or "I need".

Tá cabhair uaim = I need/want help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

This has got to be a joke. Please tell me this person isn't a teacher!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Caoimhgh1n

Cad atá uait? - What do you want/need?
    Tá prátaí uaim. - I want/need potatoes.

Agam = At me
    Agat = At you

Tá ___ agam = I have ___

I really hope you are not teaching a class with that level of Irish. I would definitely invest in some grinds. Do you even know how to pronounce these words?

And just to be clear, I wasn't making fun of someone asking for help or clarification. I've asked for help sometimes with the Teaching of Irish but these are major questions and major chunks missing in someone's knowledge! I'm hopeful that it's just some looking to improve their own Irish.

Edited to add,my fears are confirmed if past comments are anything to go by :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭ggg16

Is this definitely from a teacher? Surely it's more likely a student asking those questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

It may be that the OP is studying for the h dip in education and if so they have time to learn the fundamentals and more. But it could also be a student from the UK doing that transition exam/course thing in Irish.
    Either way there is little use in confronting an individual here or anywhere - we have the teaching institutions and dept of education civil servants to blame as majority of them couldn't give a damn.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

This has got to be a joke. Please tell me this person isn't a teacher!!

Not ALL teachers in Ireland are fluent in Irish.
    They're also not scientists even though they teach science, they're not mathematicians even though they teach math, they're not historians even though they teach history.

To teach at an elementary level (which I assume OP is teaching at) , fluency is not needed.

Get off his/her case. Teaching is a hard enough job as it is

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

SeantheMan wrote: »
    To teach at an elementary level (which I assume OP is teaching at) , fluency is not needed.

You seem to be missing the glaring point that the OP doesn't have even the basics of prepositions. If you don't know how to describe something as "elementary" as on, in, from, under, over, between, with, etc, then urgent work is required.

Not ALL teachers in Ireland are fluent in Irish.
    They're also not scientists even though they teach science, they're not mathematicians even though they teach math, they're not historians even though they teach history.

I am a teacher so you can save your spiel.

I think that if a person is teaching a subject/language, then a basic knowledge (!!) is required.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

There's fluency and there's an exceptionally poor level of the most basic language skills. By your logic, would you be happy to have the OP teaching English if the standard they had was as bad?

ETA And some degree of fluency should mandatory.Irish should , like any language , be taught through that language as much as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭grind gremlin

I'm going to be honest, I'm seriously concerned about the op's poor grasp of the Irish language as a teacher. I gather from their other posts that they are teaching 3rd /4th class.
    I seriously recommend that the op invests in some very intensive grinds to help with their Irish grammar. A language teacher should be fluent in the language they are teaching or at least confident and competent in their use of the language. I can only imagine the 'droch nósanna' the students will have picked up in the course of the year......

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

I'm going to be honest, I'm seriously concerned about the op's poor grasp of the Irish language as a teacher. I gather from their other posts that they are teaching 3rd /4th class.
    I seriously recommend that the op invests in some very intensive grinds to help with their Irish grammar. A language teacher should be fluent in the language they are teaching or at least confident and competent in their use of the language. I can only imagine the 'droch nósanna' the students will have picked up in the course of the year......

I posted on here some weeks ago thinking that the OP was in the process of learing Irish. To me, the issue here is that there is something very seriously wrong with a system of education that allows someone with this level of competence or lack thereof teach the subject.

Maidhci wrote: »
    I posted on here some weeks ago thinking that the OP was in the process of learing Irish. To me, the issue here is that there is something very seriously wrong with a system of education that allows someone with this level of competence or lack thereof teach the subject.

Yeah the way Irish is taught is awful anyway.

Yeah the way Irish is taught is awful anyway.

It is worrying that the future of our beautiful language is in the hands of people who have a poor grasp of the language itself. When a teacher can struggle to put a sentence together I dread to think how an entire lesson they teach can be either interesting or effective. I would be incredibly worried if a student teacher could gain a teaching qualification with such limited skills in the Irish language.

It is worrying that the future of our beautiful language is in the hands of people who have a poor grasp of the language itself. When a teacher can struggle to put a sentence together I dread to think how an entire lesson they teach can be either interesting or effective. I would be incredibly worried if a student teacher could gain a teaching qualification with such limited skills in the Irish language.

Look at my earlier posts in this thread. I'm a student currently in the Senior Cycle learning Irish, see what I've been taught that is clearly wrong as corrected by posters on this.

Look at my earlier posts in this thread. I'm a student currently in the Senior Cycle learning Irish, see what I've been taught that is clearly wrong as corrected by posters on this.

I wasn't referring to your Irish. (Apologies if it came across that way). I just felt that your point about Irish being taught poorly is highlighted by the fact that the op is struggling so much with the language while teaching it.

The Dept of Ed / colleges of ed should really be focusing on ensuring teachers have the appropriate standard of Irish to teach it effectively.

Advertisement