Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is this normal

• 24-10-2016 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

Is it normal to yawn during exercise.? I had my first pt training session today after not doing any exercise over a year due to pregnancy. I felt dizzy,couldn't take a deep breath almost struggling to breath and I felt like vomiting . All I did was heavy weights,no cardio.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Is it normal, yes its normal.

I actually researched this a few years ago and found there's a number of reasons you might yawn during exercise and all of which are normal.

You said you yawned during weight training and not cardio so I'm guess your body needed oxygenated blood feeding your muscles.. Are you CV fit?.

Muscles need oxygenated blood otherwise they tire.

Outside of that I found when I researched it that there's a number of reasons we might yawn during exercise and all of them were normal and nothing to worry about.

Of course like everything else, if you google you'll find you've everything else from MS to some rare cancer :p (yes I joke about googling health concerns).

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭ja1986

Ha ha I also googled but I like asking real people in the internet! I don't notice it so much in cardio ,but it was leg day today and I read that because it's a big muscle group that I needed more clean air??!!!
    I tend not to breathe at every rep it's like I forget to take a breath and exhale .
    So would the nausea feeling and dizziness be from suddenly working out again and a shock to the system ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Light-headedness is quite common doing squats and deadlifts - especially deadlifts for me some times (you'll find plenty of videos of people passing out after a heavy set if you look for it!). I guess it has a lot to do with irregular breathing, blood-pressure spiking and dropping from the straining and relaxing, the up-and-down motion of it all.

I find making sure I am breathing properly during sets helps, and making sure I am properly hydrated. It would only last a few seconds for me after a set and then I'd be fine again.

How long does the dizziness last?
    (yawning I haven't a notion about, ye freak)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Was the room well ventilated? could be something like a misbalance in o2/Co2 as well.

If you were dizzy and felt like you were gonna vomit, the sesh was probably a bit hard for your current abilities. It happens. We get it wrong in the gym sometimes too - not every session should be like that going forward.

Weight training can be BRUTAL on your lungs and heart, so don't be surprised if you do get gassed from time to time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,672 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Yawning, yes, it happens. Doesn't matter if I've had coffee and am sweating, yawning sometimes happens.

I sometimes get light-headed after benching. I'm that guy that paces back and forth around the bench between sets, but it works for me.

Only ever got that vomiting feeling twice. First was a benching session with a PT, but only had 3 hours sleep in me. Second was day 1 when I tried Hanley's program.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

ja1986 wrote: »
    Ha ha I also googled but I like asking real people in the internet! I don't notice it so much in cardio ,but it was leg day today and I read that because it's a big muscle group that I needed more clean air??!!!
    I tend not to breathe at every rep it's like I forget to take a breath and exhale .
    So would the nausea feeling and dizziness be from suddenly working out again and a shock to the system ?

Its a combination of not breathing and being new back to working out.

Your body needs oxygen when weight lifting. If you dont breath then your going to be out of breath and dizzy.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭ja1986

Hey guys I done another pt session today and I didn't get dizzy. I made a conscious effort to breath every rep ,I still got breathless but not as bad!

Advertisement