Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Full years rent paid upfront

Options
  • 24-10-2016 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

Hi,

We have just found tenants for a property we have available for rent and the new tenants are signing an annual lease agreement for 12 months and have suggested paying the rent for the full year in advance. Is there anything I should be concerned about?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Taxes etc remain the same so it makes no difference in that sense.
    Just don't forget to carry out your regular inspections as it's easy to forget once the money is lodged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

No
    Unless you think you might have to get rid it's a brilliant idea

Friends of mine are liquid and they got a great deal by doning that

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

bensboys wrote: »
    Is there anything I should be concerned about?

Grow house? Seem really weird to be offering a whole year in advance.
    Maybe they're just trying to make you more inclined to accept them over other tenants?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

People who grow illegal drugs in grow-houses usually pay for 6months+ up front for the houses they rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭bensboys

Tigger wrote: »
    No
    Unless you think you might have to get rid it's a brilliant idea

Friends of mine are liquid and they got a great deal by doning that

Yes that's what I thought, having met them and checked references all seems good. Just making sure I wasn't missing anything obvious!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭deandean

First and only time I heard of this arrangement, the was then used as a 'grow house' and it was destroyed after.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Bet they're going to put your place on Airbnb to make a tidy profit. Guy on LIVELINE had something like 40 properties on the go at one time, all of which he was renting.

deandean wrote: »
    First and only time I heard of this arrangement, the was then used as a 'grow house' and it was destroyed after.

It's the top floor of an apartment, would that make the above scenario unlikely?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Personally it would make me nervous. I'd accept 2 months max.

My friend recently rented out her house and one guy called her offering 3 months without even seeing it and it put her off renting it to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

We pay 12 months in advance. Landlord has no problems but we have been here over ten years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭endacl

It's the top floor of an apartment, would that make the above scenario unlikely?
    Lots of 'ladies of negotiable virtue' as tenants? Renting by the hour...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

my3cents wrote: »
    We pay 12 months in advance. Landlord has no problems but we have been here over ten years.

I'm curious - why do you do that?

I'd be suspicious, OP. Why are they doing it? Maybe there is a valid reason, but I'd be asking the question.

If you do decide to take them, make sure that you keep the money and don't use it until the time it covers has passed - imagine if there was a fire, or you had to evict them for something, and didn't have the cash to pay them back.

It is possible that their employer is paying the rent and chooses to pay for a year at a time as that may be the length of the employees contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Why would anyone do that? Seems crazy to me unless 1) the rental market is so unfavorable to tenants that it's a way of getting picked over anyone else (and while it's bad alright, it's not that bad) or else 2) they don't want you nosing around after. At all - not even normal landlord stuff I mean.

Basically I'd be worried.

volchitsa wrote: »
    Why would anyone do that? Seems crazy to me unless 1) the rental market is so unfavorable to tenants that it's a way of getting picked over anyone else (and while it's bad alright, it's not that bad) or else 2) they don't want you nosing around after. At all - not even normal landlord stuff I mean.

Basically I'd be worried.

They are a mid 20's couple, they came to Ireland for 12 months to learn English and get jobs along the way. They showed me bank statements with the cash there. I found them to be a lovely couple looking for a life experience.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

kceire wrote: »
    Taxes etc remain the same so it makes no difference in that sense.
    Just don't forget to carry out your regular inspections as it's easy to forget once the money is lodged.

It will bring the entire amount into one tax year rather than spread over two.

4ensic15 wrote: »
    It will bring the entire amount into one tax year rather than spread over two.

That's what I was thinking might be the case giving me rental income for 22 months (10+12) in 2016

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I would think that it would help them budget if they are here for 12 months then they do not have to worry about making rent every month if it is already done. They have the cash now but may not have it in time to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

If you are satisfied with the couple and you do your normal checks, then all should be good. With regards to tax, I would suggest that you could take the remainder of this years rent and then the rest in January.

I'm curious - why do you do that?

I'd be suspicious, OP. Why are they doing it? Maybe there is a valid reason, but I'd be asking the question.

If you do decide to take them, make sure that you keep the money and don't use it until the time it covers has passed - imagine if there was a fire, or you had to evict them for something, and didn't have the cash to pay them back.

The money was sat in the bank doing nothing so no advantage to us having it there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

I know from friends moving to certain countries that 12 months rent upfront is the norm there so maybe they're following that. If you're worried about what they might be doing, just do random inspections and note in the lease that these will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

I paid a year up front before for rent,
    It was purely for convenience.

I had been renting the apartment for over a year anyway so trusted the ll but he always took rent by cash, he didn't want it lodged for some reason, and as he lived a few hours away sometimes he might be a week or two late coming to collect rent, and then get dates and stuff wrong etc,

He is an honest sort tho just a bit unorganised and I always got receipts.

Now personally I hated having money lying around in cash form I couldn't use waiting to pay rent it drove me mad, so I suggested to pay him for the year. He agreed and everyone happy.

Sorry for length of post, but just an idea of why Ppl would possibly suggest this.

Also a grow house :-D come on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭volchitsa

They are a mid 20's couple, they came to Ireland for 12 months to learn English and get jobs along the way. They showed me bank statements with the cash there. I found them to be a lovely couple looking for a life experience.

Actually I hadn't thought they might not be permanently based in Ireland. That's a fair enough reason, especially as they may have been worried that landlords might not want to rent to "transients" with no links to the country.
    It's just that I'd never heard of anyone doing that, and TBH find it hard to imagine having a year's rental sitting in the bank doing nothing!
    But I remember when I first went to the US, years ago now, having to have money in the bank to prove I was self sufficient, so I guess it's rather like that.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Would money laundering be a concern here?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

its in a bank account, so I'd be less concerned about the possibility that its a grow op / brothel.

Get them to pay it via bank transfer and have all your documentation for them to sign. Id probably just ask for a scanned copy of passports as a little more security.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

Would money laundering be a concern here?

I'm confused. How could it be money laundering. The ll will receive a years worth of rent.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

hawkelady wrote: »
    I'm confused. How could it be money laundering. The ll will receive a years worth of rent.

It's not that usual for someone to pay maybe €18k of rent upfront. You'd wonder the source of those funds.

It's not that usual for someone to pay maybe €18k of rent upfront. You'd wonder the source of those funds.

But if it comes from a bank account its not your problem, its the banks problem to worry about and confirm where any cash comes from, once its in the bank then that job is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭mel123

If i was the tenant i'd be worried about paying this up front and then say not liking the apartment, not liking the area, the landlord not fixing stuff because they dont give a sh*t cause they have their money, needing to go home for good because of an emergency etc.

Im sure there is nothing untowards about it at all, but i find it very strange a couple would part with money like this for the first time (fair enough a poster above has done it but lived in the apartment before so knew what they were getting).

• Advertisement

mel123 wrote: »
    If i was the tenant i'd be worried about paying this up front and then say not liking the apartment, not liking the area, the landlord not fixing stuff because they dont give a sh*t cause they have their money, needing to go home for good because of an emergency etc.

Im sure there is nothing untowards about it at all, but i find it very strange a couple would part with money like this for the first time (fair enough a poster above has done it but lived in the apartment before so knew what they were getting).

Especially as they are only just in the country, I would also have concerns about them saying they are here to learn English and maybe work if they find work, have they the appropriate visas for this? Will there be hassle for the OP if they got arrested and deported?

Advertisement