Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going back to school

Options
  • 25-10-2016 5:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭

Well here we go..

I left school when I was 15 due to some awful bullying, I hadn't sat my junior cert or even done the mocks yet. That was 6 years ago, I'm now 21, and I want to do my leaving cert. I'm not sure how to go about this - originally I was completely against going into "mainstream" school cos at my age I thought it weird, but if that's the only option available I'll take it on the chin just to see a better life for myself, I want to go to college and train as a professional chef, but without my leaving cert I can't. (The only colleges in Ireland that do so don't accept mature students on the course). Does anyone know how I do this? Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'm sorry you had that experience at school.

What to do? Contact your local ETB Adult Education Officer. The ETBs are what used to be called VECs. If you are in Dublin or nearby there is a dedicated adults only college that offers the Leaving Cert. in Crumlin.

Once within the ETB system, there are lots of people to advise you on what to do, including ways into cheffing without being a school leaver. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,287 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Best of luck with it op

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭WhoWhatWhere

spurious wrote: »
    I'm sorry you had that experience at school.

What to do? Contact your local ETB Adult Education Officer. The ETBs are what used to be called VECs. If you are in Dublin or nearby there is a dedicated adults only college that offers the Leaving Cert. in Crumlin.

Once within the ETB system, there are lots of people to advise you on what to do, including ways into cheffing without being a school leaver. Good luck.

Thanks spurious. I'll give it a quick google mobile to see what's in the wexford area

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Thanks spurious. I'll give it a quick google mobile to see what's in the wexford area

Wexford have an Adults only LC, which might suit.

Have a look at the hospitality courses in Colaiste Ide, Finglas. I know it says they are Post Leaving Cert., but some colleges allow for life experience and age.

You can also consider them to widen your chances of getting into the chef courses, by using the FETAC entry system as well as the LC points.

http://www.colaisteide.ie/school-of-tourism-leisure-and-hospitality

Advertisement