Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legal Separation and division of family home

• 25-10-2016 8:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭

Getting close to a court appearance for legal separation and I'm wondering what experiences people have with regard to the family home. My Ex and I spit a year ago, she remains in the family home (with my middle child). I am renting with my eldest and youngest child.
    My Ex is asking to keep the family home and requesting I continue to cover the mortgage (plus other maintenance agreements). I'm requesting we either sell or she figures out a way to buy me out so I can try get out of renting and obtain a small family home.
    Just wondering what folks experiences are with regard to the family home in similar circumstances.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

As long as children under a certain age are living in the family home judges tend to be loathe to order the sale.

Your solicitor should be able to advise you on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Stheno wrote: »
    As long as children under a certain age are living in the family home judges tend to be loathe to order the sale.

Your solicitor should be able to advise you on this.

Eh he just said the oldest and youngest are living with him?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Eh he just said the oldest and youngest are living with him?

Yes so the middle child is still in the family home, a judge will take that into account.

Advertisement