Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Longest you've gone without road tax?

• 25-10-2016 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭

Whilst parking the bike up this morning, I noticed the tax disc on the bike beside me. If the rider was stopped I don't the excuse of it's in the post would work for them. The tax is out since 03/14, I have probably gone a month maybe two but not two and half years :D:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I've never had road tax, unfortunately I always have motor tax through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,129 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I don't see the point in displaying out of date tax. Is is supposed to indicate "sure, I had tax once upon a time so leave me alone"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

At 88 euro a year, I don't risk it... never been without.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

At 88 euro a year, I don't risk it... never been without.

Cause it will disappear then.:p:pac::D

I think after 2 months,the gardai have the right to take the bike from you and impound it.

Longest arrears/out of date Ive had was 6 weeks,but that was due to working abroad.Minute I was back in Ireland I renewed the tax and the arrears too,as is the norm nowadays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Del2005 wrote: »
    I've never had road tax, unfortunately I always have motor tax through.

If you trying to be a smart arse, at least get the spelling right...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

I went about 26 years without motor tax...then I bought my first motor!

Jaysus lads,these threads are really heatin up here lately.

goes off to get a bowl of popcorn.:pac::D

frag420 wrote: »
    I went about 26 years without motor tax...then I bought my first motor!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭prunudo

Jaysus lads,these threads are really heatin up here lately.

goes off to get a bowl of popcorn.:pac::D

Must be something in the air, noticed various threads getting heated, not just the motorbike forum either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

people leave expired discs on the bikes so if it's stolen and they are stopped by the gardai, they won't be able to produce the tax disc from their wallet and the bike won't be let continue on.

that's the idea anyway. I display mine on a little disc holder on the side of the bike. pain in the piss pipe having to hear people say "onli 88 EURO TAX??????? WAT DE FUK I AV 2 GET one of THOSE" every time they walk past and look at it

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

dre_jspeed wrote: »
    Whilst parking the bike up this morning, I noticed the tax disc on the bike beside me. If the rider was stopped I don't the excuse of it's in the post would work for them. The tax is out since 03/14, I have probably gone a month maybe two but not two and half years :D:D

There is no road tax in Ireland; I think someone must be conning you!

rat_race wrote: »
    There is no road tax in Ireland; I think someone must be conning you!

http://www.vrt.ie/roadTax.php

Eh, that's just some random dude's "Very Reasonable Transport" website. But you knew that, right? :pac:

I'm still correct. That is just a poorly written article and terribly **** website.

Lumen wrote: »
    Eh, that's just some random dude's "Very Reasonable Transport" website. But you knew that, right? :pac:
    I'm still correct. That is just a poorly written article and terribly **** website.

Cant believe the amount of pedantic ,sensible,humourless people on here.....lighten up ffs...road tax,rmotor tax...wgaf.....:rolleyes:

Cant believe the amount of pedantic ,sensible,humourless people on here.....lighten up ffs...road tax,rmotor tax...wgaf.....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

I'll see your road tax and raise you http://www.housing.gov.ie/local-government/motor-tax/motor-tax :D

Whatever its called, its tax it comes out of your pocket and costs €88 a year ;)

I thought you were being serious, with your link.

I thought you were being serious, with your link.

What ever people want to call it without being corrected, the issue here is , why would you risk a heap of grief for 88yoyo's a year....sorry i meant to type euro's ...:P

• Advertisement

What ever people want to call it without being corrected, the issue here is , why would you risk a heap of grief for 88yoyo's a year....sorry i meant to type euro's ...:P

Sure its only 8 euro more than the garda fine.
    And you wont get penalty points with it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭micknail

Does everyone display tax on their bikes, or keep the disc in their wallet?
    Has anyone actually had a disc lifted off their bike before?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭dre_jspeed

I'm sorry I asked now! :):rolleyes::)

micknail wrote: »

Some bikers keep the disc in ther bike jacket,others have is taped to the underside of the pillion seat.

dre_jspeed wrote: »
    I'm sorry I asked now! :):rolleyes::)

Wellcome to the internet.......:pac::p

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭micknail

Some bikers keep the disc in ther bike jacket,others have is taped to the underside of the pillion seat.

Would any Guard actually give you grief for not having it 'Clearly Displayed'?
    Just covering my bases!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Doubt it. Any Guard with sense will understand that they get nicked / soggy.

I've never had a ticket for failure to display.

I carry mine in my wallet. Approached a checkpoint the other week. Was signalled to stop and before I had a chance to even get my feet down was waved on. How a check could be done I don't know. Garda magic powers I guess?

In the car I've had grief once, because I'm really lazy and haven't fitted a triple disc holder since importing it. Tax is on display. Insurance and NCT are in glovebox ready to be whipped out and placed on the dash (2 A4 sheets, I haven't detached them from the rest of the doc). Only been given a little grief once to get a holder in the window next time.

On a previous occasion in the car I was waved on with just tax in the window. You'd think they'd stop and ask.

Back to motorcycles. In the UK I've always displayed and in 15 years, I've lost a tax disc once and had one stolen.

The lost one was on a week-old bike which was attached to the mudguard bolt down by the front wheel on the nearside. Next thing I know the whole holder went flying up and disappeared over my shoulder into the scenery!

The stolen one went missing somewhere in Greater London with about 6 weeks to run. Got quizzed by traffic plod at Leicester Forest East services on the M1 about it (holder backing was still bolted to the bike), explained it was stolen and there was no way I was paying £7 for a duplicate which was more than the remaining tax to run. They accepted the situation and went away.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Cian_ok

I have the disc in my pocket. And a colour photocopy on the bike. Haven't been stopped though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

My disc is on the rear number plate, must get around to fixing the loose bolt soon, but I only use the bike for fun so it is never really left where the disc could be stolen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Currently out of date by a few weeks, just have not got around to getting it TBH. Will be got in next few days....

Advertisement