Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Men's GP

Options
  • 25-10-2016 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭

I went to my wife's GP last week about a scab on my leg and got a dressing down about my weight, exercise, alcohol, salt intake, and caffeine. While I concede her point, I'm loathe to submit myself to a series of visits to dissect my health (or lack thereof) with her. I'm a bit suspect of doctors and want one who will explain things to me instead of bossing me around like a child.

I've no problem dealing with the facts and will follow through but I'd like to find a different GP from my wife. I'd like to find a male GP I can build a long-term relationship with if we're going to be talking prostate exams and such!

I'm in Knocknacarra so I'm looking for recommendations between Barna and Salthill for a good men's doctor with a good demeanour.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Ok, this is what I churned up looking over past threads:

€50 Dr. Padhraic Ó Conghaile: Churchfield Salthill
    €50 Dr Dan Murphy: http://www.salthillmedicalcentre.com/services.htm
    €60 Dr. Michael Casey: http://www.knocknacarramedicalcentre.ie/
    €?? Dr. Brian Osborne, Knocknacarra: http://www.kingstonmedicalcentre.ie/
    €50 Dr Declan Larkin, Knocknacarra: http://www.knocknacarrafamilycare.ie/

I suppose the other factors such as modern/professional facilities, availability, and wait times.

I once went to a GP by the hospital that was in an old house. They had a plank over the kitchen sink which was literally the receptionist desk. My wife's GP can be as much as an hour behind the scheduled appointment time. So if anyone has anything positive about the list above or someone better please do let me know. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

€50 Dr. Padhraic Ó Conghaile: Churchfield Salthill
    This is my GP and I travel from another part of Galway to go to him. My reasons are different (he was my father's GP first so has a head start on keeping an eye on some potential heredity medical issues) but I think he would also meet your needs in terms of style/lack of lecturing.

He operates an unusual scheduling system. Appointments are available later in the day but the first couple of hours each morning are first come first served. That's handy for people who want to be seen in a hurry. I think I once waited 40 minutes to be seen during the morning session but most times it has been 15-20 minutes. When I've had appointments later in the day they have generally been on time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Moo Moo Land

Gerry Brennan, Lower Newcastle Road.

... If your health, diet, drinking habits, salt intake, and weight are bad, then surely any doctor would be telling you these facts, regardless of gender?

I mean, it is their job to highlight these things and I'd be very dubious of any doctor that wouldn't, personally.

Shut up boneyarse, I don't like you either. :pac:

I tried to make it clear I've no problem with the facts which are just middle-aged mainstays to be fair. It's more a realisation that if I'm going to go down the path of regular checkups and such that I'd like to start a relationship with a different GP than my wife's. And yes, I do prefer a male doctor just as many women prefer a female doctor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Moo Moo Land

I'd like to find a male GP I can built a long-term relationship

Wishful thinking considering your lifestyle!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Dan Murphy's an absolute gent and a very good doctor. He's extremely practical and has a very good manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

got a dressing down about my weight, exercise, alcohol, salt intake, and caffeine. While I concede her point, I'm loathe to submit myself to a series of visits to dissect my health (or lack thereof). I'm a bit suspect of doctors and want one who will explain things to me instead of bossing me around like a child. I'd like to find a male GP I can built a long-term relationship with if we're going to be talking prostate exams and such!

My Dad has a long term relationship with his GP, he regularly goes for check-up as he has high blood pressure, high cholesterol and a whole other list of issues because of the lifestyle he leads. His doctor doesn't check him on his weight or his diet or try to get him to change his lifestyle in order to curb the effects it is having on his health. He likes this relationship because of this.

I wish his doctor would talk to him about healthy eating and loosing some weight because if he did, I'm sure my Dad would listen, and maybe my Dad would be around to see his grand kinds grow up because I'm sure that with the way he lives his life now, he won't be around to see them grow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

So you really want a male gp, who won't bother doing everything a GP should do. Ie an incompetent one.

Not sure we're allowed to make recommendations like that.

Those are two very cynical typically boards responses.

Not at all, I added a clarification to the original post as I wrongly assumed anyone looking for a GP would be looking for a good one.

Again, as I'm now middle aged and should really start doing regular checkups so I'm trying to find recommendations or comments about male GPs in my area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

My father goes to Dr. Dan Murphy, and really likes him. I know several others who use him, and the general consensus seems to be that he's an excellent doctor.

I go to Dr. John Wall in Whitehall Medical at the back of the Eyre Square Centre, and I find him excellent. I also bring our kids to him. When he hasn't been available I've been seen by Dr. Enda Devitt in the same practice, and I'm equally happy with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

The OP has very clearly stated what he's looking for in a GP; not one who will turn a blind eye to health problems, but will be more relaxed about the typical things that we all know we could do better, exercise, diet, blah blah...

I fully understand that OP is looking for recommendations of a non preachy GP, I'd be in the same boat to be honest... nothing worse than feeling like you're a bold child by someone giving you a lecture. Chastising the OP for this fact, is not only non-constructive and unhelpful, but it's also kinda dickish. Play nice, children!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

OP asked for betwwen Barna and Salthill.

I can't fault Brian Osborne in Kingstom Medical Centre. He's got all the attributes you're looking for. He's encouraging, but not preachy, and very practical.

Also, I've never not been able to get parking right at the door which is pretty vital when feeling sick.

I wouldn't consider anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Ludikrus

Just wait until your first prostate examination with your new big, hairy, sound-man GP friend. You'll be on here in double-quick time asking about female GPs...small, petite, with GSOH. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I occasionally use Dr. Pat Waldron on Shantalla Road and find him excellent.
    He will address the problem at hand and keep the lecturing to a minimum (but will make a remark or two where he sees fit).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

I once was recommended Ann Gibbons in Barna and I had one consultation with her. Within one minute I knew I was with the best Dr I had ever known. Supremely patient, profoundly empathic and extremely kind and warm. I was very shocked and upset that shortly afterwards she had passed away. A great doctor.
    I don't know if I'll see her like ever again. Whilst this is no great help to the OP I therefore would strongly suggest Larkin in K'carra. I have not been to see him for a while (heard he had moved actually) but he's a real pro who will take his time with you. No talking down to you.
    One of the doctor:s mentioned above I found a real sh2t. I think he thought he was God Almighty himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Dr Meagher on clybaun road has a nice manner. Doesn't over -charge either. He does "first come first served" in mornings and evenings with appointments in afternoons (phone that morning to book). My husband uses him and is happy with the treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Play nice, children![/B][/quote]

Slightly ironic, eh?

Advertisement