Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So You Want To Do A Powerlifting Competition?

• 25-10-2016 10:22am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭

All this week I'll be writing about things you need to know during the initial stages of your powerlifting career.

The training, equipment, rules etc etc.

Part 1 contains some things you DEFINITELY need to know: http://revolutionfitness.ie/want-powerlifting-competition/

If I've missed anything, please add it to the comment section here and I'll include it in a future post with credits :)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

You wanna be a powerlifter but don't know what gear you need to enter a competition? Read this guide. Wonder no more.

http://revolutionfitness.ie/want-powerlifter-need-gear/

Ever wonder how to enter your first powerlifting comp? How much it costs? And how you can qualify to play with the big boys at national championships? It's all explained here; http://revolutionfitness.ie/enter-powerlifting-competition/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

What's the reasoning behind the need to wear a tshirt for squat and bench?
    And also the jocks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭whippet

Mellor wrote: »
    What's the reasoning behind the need to wear a tshirt for squat and bench?
    And also the jocks?

don't want to be getting sweaty skin to bar / bench contact .. that would be my guess. Just like why the socks are needed for the deadlift.

As for the jocks ... It is all about having absolutely no support whatsoever .. in that the singlet is the only item of clothing really.

As an aside the t-shirt is needed regardless to ensure you have decent friction for the bar and bench - this is why you see people chalking their backs for these lifts.

The t-shirt needs to be cotton .. I did make the mistake of wearing a shiny under armour t-shirt one night when squatting and once it got heavy the pressure to keep the bar in position was much worse than when wearing cotton

whippet wrote: »
    don't want to be getting sweaty skin to bar / bench contact .. that would be my guess. Just like why the socks are needed for the deadlift.

As for the jocks ... It is all about having absolutely no support whatsoever .. in that the singlet is the only item of clothing really.

As an aside the t-shirt is needed regardless to ensure you have decent friction for the bar and bench - this is why you see people chalking their backs for these lifts.

The t-shirt needs to be cotton .. I did make the mistake of wearing a shiny under armour t-shirt one night when squatting and once it got heavy the pressure to keep the bar in position was much worse than when wearing cotton

Correct - the knurling on the bar will rip up your back on squats too and create the risk of cross contamination.

The t-shirt doesn't have to be cotton to be comp approved, but it does if you want the bar to stay on your back :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Makes sense I suppose. I never wear my rashies when squatting. Just slides too easily. Didn't consider the blood contamination though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,676 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

This is a video Hanley did almost 2 years ago on what to expect at your first meet, which is a useful addition to the thread.

This is a video Hanley did almost 2 years ago on what to expect at your first meet, which is a useful addition to the thread.

TY. I remember that so well.

Still think there's a "training course" that should be done for first timeers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxcx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

• Advertisement
Advertisement