Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indian Food - Recommended Dishes

Options
  • 25-10-2016 10:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭

Hi. I'm having some friends over this week and I'd like to prepare some Indian dishes as we all love that type of cuisine.

I'd like to prepare a few dishes for us to dip into. Maybe a starter and two curries? It's just three lads having a few beers so we won't be scrutinising the recipes or anything. But I'd still like to make it a special evening as we'd normally just get a take-away.

I quite like this Goan curry so that's one dish sorted. It's really simple which is perfect for me! So I guess I'm looking for something spicy as the above is quite mild.

Any recommendations? Also what would work well as a starter? I realise there's tons of recipes online so I'm hardly stuck for choice. But I always prefer being directly referred to a recipe.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Pickpocket wrote: »
    Hi. I'm having some friends over this week and I'd like to prepare some Indian dishes as we all love that type of cuisine.

I'd like to prepare a few dishes for us to dip into. Maybe a starter and two curries? It's just three lads having a few beers so we won't be scrutinising the recipes or anything. But I'd still like to make it a special evening as we'd normally just get a take-away.

I quite like this Goan curry so that's one dish sorted. It's really simple which is perfect for me! So I guess I'm looking for something spicy as the above is quite mild.

Any recommendations? Also what would work well as a starter? I realise there's tons of recipes online so I'm hardly stuck for choice. But I always prefer being directly referred to a recipe.

Many thanks.

I've made variations on this before. In the absence of chickpea flour I've used plain flour.

You could make your own fruit based curry chutney style dip if you don't fancy pre-made, but a decent pickle, chutney or a cooling raita dip you buy will be OK. The advantage is you can spice them up to whatever level you like. You can make them bite size for a starter/nibble style course to go with a few beers ;)

http://www.foodnetwork.co.uk/recipes/sweet-potato-cakes.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

BuffyBot wrote: »
    I've made variations on this before. In the absence of chickpea flour I've used plain flour.

You could make your own fruit based curry chutney style dip if you don't fancy pre-made, but a decent pickle, chutney or a cooling raita dip you buy will be OK. The advantage is you can spice them up to whatever level you like. You can make them bite size for a starter/nibble style course to go with a few beers ;)

http://www.foodnetwork.co.uk/recipes/sweet-potato-cakes.html

Many thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Chicken Jalfrezi from the cooking club is handy make and really good
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=73711514

This butter chicken curry is very easy make family love it. Usually use passata but have also made it using a tin of chopped tomatoes
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/141169/easy-indian-butter-chicken/

Have never got around to making the curries from this thread but do cook the pilau rice from the first post
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76584619

Will try out your recipe, really like coconut curries mostly Thai ones I've made though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Make Cucumber Raita as a dip, garnish/coolant.
    Three shots of cool!

Mix the following together:

A cup of Glenisk natural yogurt (it's the creamiest. Indian cuisine uses dairy food.)
    About two inches of cucumber, washed but not peeled, chopped into tiny pieces or coarsely grated
    One thin clove of garlic, very finely chopped into tiny pieces
    A quarter-teaspoon of mint sauce, or, a finely chopped mint leaf.

Stir together: serve cool, topped with a scatter of cumin seed for pretty.

Good to have a spoonful of this with hot spicy food, a streak of Raita on the side cools it down. Contrast with a dab of lime pickle from a jar, to keep the taste buds interested.

Thanks for the recommendations. My mouth is watering. Is it too early in the day for a curry? :P

• Advertisement

Have you a slow cooker? I regularly make slow-cooked vindaloo. Herself loves it because the meat just melts in your mouth and you can be careful with how much spice you add. She doesnt like it too hot where as I love it quite spicy.

Really easy to make, bung the stuff in the slow cooker before you go to work and come home to the fabulous smell in the kitchen.

Have you a slow cooker? I regularly make slow-cooked vindaloo. Herself loves it because the meat just melts in your mouth and you can be careful with how much spice you add. She doesnt like it too hot where as I love it quite spicy.

Really easy to make, bung the stuff in the slow cooker before you go to work and come home to the fabulous smell in the kitchen.

I do actually. And it's a fantastic idea because it could be cooking away while I've other things on the go (I'm not much of a multi-tasker!).

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Whistlejacket

Jamie oliver has a pile of lovely curry recipes on his website. I particularly like this one: http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/lamb-recipes/lamb-chickpea-curry/

You could do the browning of the meat in a frying pan and the rest in the slow cooker.

Advertisement