Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carrauntoohil for novice. Route advice.

Options
  • 25-10-2016 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

Hi all. Been pointed this way to ask for advice. Few of hoping to hit the summit of carrauntoohil this bank holiday weekend weather permitting. Basically after a bit of research on line I found this

http://mountainviews.ie/summit/1/

In the past the most used way up Carrauntoohil was by the Devil's Ladder. In recent years notices have been posted strongly advising that this route should be avoided both in the interests of safety (loose rock) and avoidance of further erosion. Route 1: The Zig Zags. Park at V837 873 A Cronin's Yard (charge) and follow the track SW. After 900m cross a small stream and then, shortly after, the Gladdagh River. Continue on a relatively gentle walk up between L. Gouragh and L. Callee towards the rocky gash marking the Devil's Ladder. At V812 841 B take a ramp left up to the start of the Zig Zags V815 841 C. Follow the winding track up to the plateau V81400 83450 D. Turn right (W) to cross Cnoc na Toinne top and then down NW to the col at the top of the Devils Ladder V80700 83650 E. Go NW up the steep bare slope to V804 841 F and then NNW to the top.

Would that be the handiest route for novice hikers ?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

keane=cock wrote: »

Would that be the handiest route for novice hikers ?

Find an experienced group and join up with them on one of their outings. There's bound to be a number of hiking clubs in the area.

I wouldn't have considered this hike an option for novice hikers although you don't mention how novice you are. Do you know which OS map you'll need and can you read a map or is this all based off of google maps?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,144 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

One of the users on here, Conor74, is the man to talk to. If he sees this then he will surely answer you in a day or two. Or, you could do a wee search on here for the questions about it comes up quite a lot. Certainly one thing he will do is to warn you off of climbing it if you sound a little bit green or if the weather and conditions aren't favourable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

In terms of navigating, devils ladder is easiest, but it has its problems as youve said.

Zig zags can be hard to find on way up, easier on way down, depending on weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Find an experienced group and join up with them on one of their outings. There's bound to be a number of hiking clubs in the area.

I wouldn't have considered this hike an option for novice hikers although you don't mention how novice you are. Do you know which OS map you'll need and can you read a map or is this all based off of google maps?

Have map n compass and a reasonable knowledge of how to use both.
    I'm novice as in I've only been up 10-15 peaks most of which are easy. Been up lugnaquilla is as high as I've went. .
    Thanks for all replies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

keane=cock wrote: »
    Have map n compass and a reasonable knowledge of how to use both.
    I'm novice as in I've only been up 10-15 peaks most of which are easy. Been up lugnaquilla is as high as I've went. .
    Thanks for all replies.

If you've done 10-15 peaks including Lugnaquilla you'll be fine going up Carrauntouhill.
    It's not a particularly difficult walk, yes it's steep and high, but the path is well worn and easy to follow.

For your first time I'd suggest you just go up Devil's Ladder like most people do, and come down the Zig-Zags so you'll know where it is for the next time.

The weather for this weekend looks relatively good but there is bad weather on the way Sun/Mon so do it on Saturday if you can.

http://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Carrauntoohil/forecasts/1038

Edit: The weather looks good now for the whole weekend so best of luck with your walk

• Advertisement

The zig zags is the easiest ascent and descent alright. But longer than most other routes though. Can't say what state the Devil's Ladder is in these days, wouldn't really use it much as too steep to be a good run and not steep enough to be a good climb. Still seems to be popular judging by the streams of people on it most weekends. If you've done Lugnaquilla and are comfortable using a map and compass then it sounds like you should be fine, you will know all the stuff about right boots, gear etc. Just remember Carrauntoohil from that side a longer trek than Lug as you have to walk in and out along the Hag's Glen, and that long walk out can be a bit of a slog for the first timer. Incidentally this site is usually good for forecasts, the standard yr.no doesn't seem to really factor in altitude and how it affects wind speed and temperature...

http://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Carrauntoohil/forecasts/1038

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

Thanks lads.

I've a good fitness level and am expecting to spend 6-6.5 hours on the mountain using this route. Can't go Sat but Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

OP sorry to hijack thread but can anyone give me advice on the Brother O'Sheas gully route.

Is it just a scramble up or is there anything technical?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

CardinalJ wrote: »
    OP sorry to hijack thread but can anyone give me advice on the Brother O'Sheas gully route.

O'Sheas Gully is just a short steep scramble on pretty good ground.
    It's well worn and a bit muddy but very straightforward.

Because it's smooth mud on the gully it can difficult in very icy conditions.

Cummeenoughter Lake and the hanging valley below it are spectacular.

It's a great route.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

CardinalJ wrote: »

There's two easy rock ledges of about a metre or two that your grannie could get up, but some people might need a bit of encouragement.

Other than that it's not even a scramble - it's a steep walk on shaley loose stuff in places. I'd have no problem bringing anyone up that way.

• Advertisement
Advertisement