Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting: Portlaoise to Dublin daily by bus

• 25-10-2016 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi,
    I am just wondering if anyone on this forum commutes from Portlaoise daily by bus? which of the buses are reliable. I ll be starting work in Dublin shortly, resumption time is flexible but I ll prefer 8-8.30 start . I will like to know which of the busses offer the best service in terms of reliability. I had done it before with train but the train is rather too expensive and its not an option for now. I have narrowed my bus options down to Matleys and X12 Bus Eireann because those are the two company my organisation supports for tax saving purposes.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,894 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

and you are in one of the few places with a decent regular rail service to Dublin, and thats not an option ?

BTW, there'll be trains to Connolly and Pearse soon from that neck of the woods if thats the killer advantage that the bus has (getting you to the city centre) which a train doesnt, until in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 kim365

The train is rather too expensive by the time I add luas to Spencer Dock and parking the salary will be gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭kc56

and you are in one of the few places with a decent regular rail service to Dublin, and thats not an option ?

BTW, there'll be trains to Connolly and Pearse soon from that neck of the woods if thats the killer advantage that the bus has (getting you to the city centre) which a train doesnt, until in a few weeks.
    With a change at Newbridge or Hazelhatch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Vic_08

kim365 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am just wondering if anyone on this forum commutes from Portlaoise daily by bus? which of the buses are reliable. I ll be starting work in Dublin shortly, resumption time is flexible but I ll prefer 8-8.30 start . I will like to know which of the busses offer the best service in terms of reliability. I had done it before with train but the train is rather too expensive and its not an option for now. I have narrowed my bus options down to Matleys and X12 Bus Eireann because those are the two company my organisation supports for tax saving purposes.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks you

I am not sure what exactly you are asking, Both Bus Eireann X12 and Martleys are more or less non-stop Portlaoise-Dublin so traffic will be the main issue and that will effect both.

As they run at different times one will probably better suit your commute and of course BE have the advantage of more than one departure so you can return earlier or later if needed, with Martleys if you miss the one bus you will have to pay for alternative transport.

BE are cheaper for weekly and annual tickets.

I would say that the best thing to do is try each out and see if the times work for you before committing to an annual ticket.

Also wait and see what fares Irish Rail offer for going to Connolly/GCD on the new Newbridge services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Does your new employer offer the Annual Taxsaver tickets?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭FionnK86

Dublin Coach offer a tax saver ticket on their Portlaoise-Dublin service.

Advertisement