Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On the search for a Win98/WinME motherboard

Options
  • 25-10-2016 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭

If anyone has a link to a Pentium 3/4 Win98/Win98SE/WinME-compatible motherboard or even PC for sale, please let me know. Likewise if you have one you'd like to sell. I'd rather buy new than used.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Windows Millenium Edition

I'd rather be shot tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I would imagine either Ebay, or Aliexpress would be best for this, a new motherboard would be a hard enough find, though easy get working full PC's on either of the aforementioned places. Aliexpress is pretty good for new tech parts , no matter how obsolete or obscure.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

If anyone has a link to a Pentium 3/4 Win98/Win98SE/WinME-compatible motherboard or even PC for sale, please let me know. Likewise if you have one you'd like to sell. I'd rather buy new than used.

I have a few old Dell Dimensions one of which has a Pentium and the others Celeron CPUs. All working with Linux last time checked.

If they are of interest let me know.

Also I am sure there are some old network/graphics/?? cards still in a box that have not yet made the recycle plant.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I'd rather be shot tbh.

Ah the days of windows millanyone,da fuq was that about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

Thanks to you all. I got two suitable PCs since I posted this, although one is a Compaq, so I'll work with those for now. They're being used to make a back-up of the PC in a manufacturing machine in case the PC ever dies, which it probably will do some day.

• Advertisement

Thanks to you all. I got two suitable PCs since I posted this, although one is a Compaq, so I'll work with those for now. They're being used to make a back-up of the PC in a manufacturing machine in case the PC ever dies, which it probably will do some day.

If I was you I'd install windows 98 on a new in warranty machine on Virtualbox, and then switchover now before the old PC dies.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If I was you I'd install windows 98 on a new in warranty machine on Virtualbox, and then switchover now before the old PC dies.

That's not always possible with device IO/passthrough.

ED E wrote: »
    That's not always possible with device IO/passthrough.

Whats not possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Virtualization. Passing through obscure interfaces for industrial CNCs/PLCs/Printers etc isnt straight forward like presenting a VHD to a VM.

ED E wrote: »
    Virtualization. Passing through obscure interfaces for industrial CNCs/PLCs/Printers etc isnt straight forward like presenting a VHD to a VM.

Its not straightforward, but it is doable. I've seen it done before, and I think it would be wise to work to getting it working now while the system they have is still working.

• Advertisement
Advertisement