Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nest camera or other

Options
  • 25-10-2016 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭

I'm going to be getting a nest thermometer which also has cameras as part of the range. They're about €200 each so not cheap & there there's a further €10 a month for hosting video remotely.

I'm wondering if there's an equivalent that I can get that'll upload to my own server to save on cost?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Netatmo cameras, you can opt to have the video stored on local SD card, dropbox or FTP server:

https://www.netatmo.com/product/security/welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

Nice alarm feature on them too. Have you got them BK?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭JDxtra

The unique selling point about the Nest cams is that they analyse the video. In my experience, it's extremely accurate. Only alerts when I am away from home and discards lighting changes, shadows etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭Heroditas

The Netatmo cameras do the same. They're quite good

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭shanec1928

JDxtra wrote: »
    The unique selling point about the Nest cams is that they analyse the video. In my experience, it's extremely accurate. Only alerts when I am away from home and discards lighting changes, shadows etc.
    have they improved in the last 6 or so months? I returned mine because of the alerts. Has it stoped alerting to motion while marked as home?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Yes, there were some improvements a few months back. Previously I was manually enabling the alerts as needed. Now it uses my phone location (+ wife's phone), and when neither of us are at home it detects us as 'away'. I've looked back at the footage and can see lighting changes that correctly did not trigger alerts. I know somebody knocking at the door will trigger an alert due to the noise from the door bell. So, works as expected for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭shanec1928

JDxtra wrote: »
    Yes, there were some improvements a few months back. Previously I was manually enabling the alerts as needed. Now it uses my phone location (+ wife's phone), and when neither of us are at home it detects us as 'away'. I've looked back at the footage and can see lighting changes that correctly did not trigger alerts. I know somebody knocking at the door will trigger an alert due to the noise from the door bell. So, works as expected for me.
    When I had mine that was available. But having to manually disable alerts while at home was a joke. If that was sorted I'd probably buy one again.

Advertisement