Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are brakeless fixies stupid?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I'm not going to argue that brakeless fixies on the road are smart, but it's not a black and white situation. My personal view is that if the rider has good enough bike control and they ride at a speed suited to the circumstances, then the risks involved are no different to those faced by someone riding a bike with brakes conscientiously.

That's a lot of "if"'s of course, a lot of things have to tie together for that argument to hold up. And human/rider behaviour is the single biggest variable in there, just as it is with most situations where humans are involved. So I don't consider riding a brakeless fixie stupid in itself, but riding one without any regard or concern for the circumstances or for those around you, that's stupid. But that is stupid on a bike with brakes too.

Forrest Gump had that bit right:

66634667.jpg

Advertisement