Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia Lumia 630 issues - missing photos and more

Options
  • 25-10-2016 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

I've been having issues with my Nokia Lumia for a couple of months. Not sure if it coincided with an update, but possibly so.

First indication of problems was photos disappearing. I would take a photo, review it and it would be there, but a few seconds later photo would disappear and I'd be presented with a black screen "can't get picture". If I act fast, I can email a photo to myself before it disappears.

When I shut downs and restart phone, I get message "Scan SD card and fix errors. It looks like there might be a problem with SD card." It doesn't seem to matter whether I chose yes or no here.

Other issues: apps quitting unexpectedly, phone roaming when it should be in-network.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Easiest way of trouble shooting would be to take the SD card out. You'll temporarily lose access to any photos and apps on the SD card, but if the problem disappears, then you'll know the problem is with the SD card rather than the phone.

This is a video of how to remove/insert an SD card.

If it gets better without the SD card, then get a new SD card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭leck

I took out the SD card. When I restarted most of the apps on the home screen are greyed out (this was happening with SD card in also). Just presume that's because those apps are stored on the SD card.

When I take a photo now, it does remember it. I can access some old photos which were stored on the phone before I started using the SD card.

At least now I'm not getting the prompt to scan the SD card at startup. Wondering if I should reformat the SD card. It seems this has been an issue with Windows phones for a least a couple of years.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

leck wrote: »
    I took out the SD card. When I restarted most of the apps on the home screen are greyed out (this was happening with SD card in also). Just presume that's because those apps are stored on the SD card.

When I take a photo now, it does remember it. I can access some old photos which were stored on the phone before I started using the SD card.

At least now I'm not getting the prompt to scan the SD card at startup. Wondering if I should reformat the SD card. It seems this has been an issue with Windows phones for a least a couple of years.

Yeah, I'd be pretty confident that something went wrong with the SD card there. Try to use a PC to take any photos off the card, then reformat in the phone. Just be aware that if it's a problem with the card, then it may re-occur.

I put the card into an adapter and looked at the contents on my PC. I went through the contents of the folders, the photos were nearly all duplicates of ones already saved to OneDrive, so deleted all of those, also copied Whatsapp photos and then copied all folders and contents to a desktop folder.

When I go to Properties->Tools->Check, I immediately get "we found errors on this drive. to prevent data loss, repair this drive now". When I choose Repair Now, it runs for a few minutes, then comes back with "there was a problem repairing the drive. Windows was unable to repair the drive. Close this dialog box, then try to repair the drive again".

Yeah, that card seems like it's dead. They're pretty cheap in most shops now, but there's great deals on Amazon every once in a while.

• Advertisement

I tried to reformat the SD card while in the phone. No joy. It seemed to be working on it but it went on for about 40 minutes with dots chasing across the screen. I shut the phone off to stop it, then restarted and tried again. Same thing.

Is that typical of how much value one can expect to get from these cards? - this was a SanDisk 64GB and I bought it just before Christmas. Might try and format it using card adapter in PC...once I figure out how. It said somewhere it's exFAT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I wouldn't rely on that card now after reading the above. Get back onto the retailer and get it replaced.

I've got a replacement for the SD card that I was having problems with. I had copied the contents of the old card into a folder on my PC. Would it be wise to copy those onto the new SD card? - presume can just drag and drop. If I did that would I be at risk of transferring whatever caused the problem in the first place?

Or should I just uninstall all the existing apps - phone has "ghosts" of them and then start from scratch?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭long_b

I've got a replacement for the SD card that I was having problems with. I had copied the contents of the old card into a folder on my PC. Would it be wise to copy those onto the new SD card? - presume can just drag and drop. If I did that would I be at risk of transferring whatever caused the problem in the first place?

Or should I just uninstall all the existing apps - phone has "ghosts" of them and then start from scratch?
    I'd start fresh and not copy over anything at all

I'd doubt that it was anything on the card, but the card itself that caused the problem. In saying that, I'd probably start from scratch myself, just to be 100% sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

Can anyone tell me what happens when
    * You successfully format a SD in the Nokia lumina (635) ?
    What appears on screen and how long does it take?

I am having problems with a brand new SD card similar to OP.(Nokia 635)
    Trying to figure if the SD is FUBUR or can it be fixed.
    When I go to format it finish in 1-2 second with no message
    Should a message appear saying "format finished" or something.

Advertisement