Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wild Brown Trout

• 25-10-2016 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hello ,

Although many fly fishermen here may have negative opinions on posts like these I will ask none the less.

I was wondering what would be the opinions of spin fisherman as regards to what would be the most effective lures/spiners/softplastics etc for for fishing wild brown trout (0-2 LB) in medium/small sized rivers/streams. It seems this type of method has also began to increase in popularity recently.

PS : I know the season is over for trout. Also I am already a fairly experienced fly fisherman and Just wanted to increase my knowledge on other trout fishing methods.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

I avoid using rubber lures for trout. Only found them good for perch and odd pike. For any rivers for brownies I use a Mepps 0 gold/silver/bronze depending on the weather. If it's sunny il stick with silver and bronze and dull days il use any of them. Trout tend to turn away at last second when it's bright while using gold. If there's a bit of a flow in the river I always cast upstream and retrieve straight away with speed so the spinner moves. Takes practice but has produced some crackers for me.
    I have a lure there I modified myself made by rapala an it's a minnow lure. Painted it myself to look like our minnow as they're trouts favourite food. Even tiny trout have hit it and it's about 2-3 inch long. I filed down the part that makes it dive deep for more action. Most rivers won't allow use of minnow but ones that do are a god send as minnow is the best. Be sure to kill the minnow first as it's illegal all over for live baiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 SpinFishing1

Thanks for replying just a few more questions.

What type mainline you use : type : strength ?

Best Time of year + Weather Conditions ?

Would you be able to link me to to a few artificial minnows/spinners lures?

Advertisement