Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What plant is this please?

Options
  • 25-10-2016 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,578 ✭✭✭

I was given some of this.

Is probably a herb
    Very pungent smell
    Very strong taste
    Possibly celery family but doesnt have so thick a stem and doesnt taste exactly like celery

Have cooked with it but cant use much as it over powers everything with a dominant taste ...

Someone is going to tell me its a weed !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭countrywoman

Possibly coriander but not fully sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Sounds and looks very like lovage. Have it in the garden for years but never use it for all of the reasons you give. Looks nice though and gives useful height in a herb bed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I also think it's lovage, my mam grows it in her garden. She doesn't really cook with it, but uses a bit in cold dishes like salad etc. I'm not that mad about it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Definitely Lovage. It has a pretty intense, celery like flavour, that has to be used carefully. I like it chopped up and added to scrambled egg just before serving. I also have a recipe for Lovage Soup somewhere.

BTW it's a perennial, and once established grows absolutely huuuuuuge!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Definitely lovage, great in stuffing for roast chicken. Or soup.

Vigorous plant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 quaysider

I also think it might be lovage - quaysider 1

Advertisement