Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas carbon wheels

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I'd assume they're Chinese rims built up and rebadged, however I often assume wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Available on he never never too. The 80's are returning

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Generic Chinese rims with the option for a higher spoke count it looks like to me. I'd be spending a little less and going with farsports if I were in that market..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

"hand built and tested in the west of Ireland"
    I suppose there are two meanings to be got from that sentence!

although
    "Irish Handbuilt Carbon Clincher"
    seems fairly straightforward!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Interesting that they have a payment plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

I had a massive brainfart earlier. I saw the thread title and was confused why there was a post about carbon tram wheels on the cycling board *facepalms*

I hope that by saying this I can later laugh at myself, though feel free to laugh at me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Absolutely terrible name which would put me off them completely. I know stickers can be removed but in order to remove the stickers you have to buy them first and I do t think they're doing themselves any favours with that name.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Absolutely terrible name which would put me off them completely. I know stickers can be removed but in order to remove the stickers you have to buy them first and I do t think they're doing themselves any favours with that name.

Well luas meaning "speed", it's a cool name, and would fit nicely on a full carbon Turas :). But of course the "Ding ding ding *spaaaare chaaaange buuuud* tram of ours is its potential undoing alright.

Wouldn't put me off a carbon wheel bargain though, personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

I dunno - I quite like the idea of giving the evil eye to someone on a club spin and warning them "If you don't point out potholes next time, I'll go through you like the luas"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

fat bloke wrote: »
    Well luas meaning "speed", it's a cool name, and would fit nicely on a full carbon Turas :). But of course the "Ding ding ding *spaaaare chaaaange buuuud* tram of ours is its potential undoing alright.

Wouldn't put me off a carbon wheel bargain though, personally.

Yeah I looked up the meaning and realised they were named after the Irish word and not the trams but its the trams that everyone will think of when they hear/see the name. I have no need for new wheels and so it doesn't effect me but it wasn't long ago that I was in the market and I can say quite safely, I wouldn't have given them a second look because of the name.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It's actually a rubbish name for a tram. No speed in those journeys whatsoever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

€850, are generic carbon rims that expensive?

Both hubs would cost less than €100 together.

€40 covers spokes/nipples

€100 to build both wheels.

€610 on rims/profit with no information on rims or builders experience.

Or am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭endacl

The font used is the same as that on the tram. I wouldn't be rewarding that lack of imagination with a purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Weepsie wrote: »
    It's actually a rubbish name for a tram. No speed in those journeys whatsoever

Plenty of it on the Red Line, along with smack and coke

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

ford2600 wrote: »

Apart from "designed for Irish conditions", I think you covered everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 br3ak666

Hi Folks,

I am a lucky one who have one of these 60mm set clincher...so i can only speak best about it, strong very very stiff (better then my ex wheel, zipp 60 or mavic ultimate 60). Hub amazing, and the set of wheel so light i am very happy with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Zippe

RobFowl wrote: »
    Saw an ad for these on Done deal.

https://www.donedeal.ie/bicycles-for-sale/luas-irish-handbuilt-carbon-clinchers/12740732

Seem good value but wonder if anyone has experience of them??

I have a set of these, the builder is well upto the job so you can rest assure there. I got him to build me another set also with more expensive hubs, they are value for money too, there built in Sligo in a bike shop, I'm sure he is making a few quid on them, that's normally the idea of setting up a business but if there is a problem you have somewhere to go back to in Ireland, the payment plans he does do suit a lot of guys especially if you trying to keep cost from the wife "not that I do" Sound guy to deal with, I have plenty of expensive gear and I am happy to recommend these without a bother. I've spen €2.5k on Zipps and they gave me plenty of problems with hubs,

Cheers zip

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

ford2600 wrote: »

If you got a truing stand, you could start selling them yourself.

Somethings are not very clear from the advert:
    1. Are the prices for one wheel, or two?
    2. Picture 7: Who the f**k puts the handle of the QR skewer on the cassette body side?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Who the f**k puts the handle of the QR skewer on the cassette body side?
    [/LIST]

A hipster?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

If you got a truing stand, you could start selling them yourself.

Somethings are not very clear from the advert:
    1. Are the prices for one wheel, or two?
    2. Picture 7: Who the f**k puts the handle of the QR skewer on the cassette body side?

I have a truing stand and tension meter.

What I don't have is specification for rim, max tension, weight limit etc. Do you?

It's a lever BTW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Picture 7: Who the f**k puts the handle of the QR skewer on the cassette body side?

I do this on all disc brake wheels. Prevents bending the rotor when tightening the skewer in hurry...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

See he does a decent enough deal on the Wahoo Kickr, 499 up front and 80 * 10 months for the balance, shame we do not have more credit options available here for bike related purchases.

Advertisement